Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 135
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Viking!

    I keep telling you to hang with me bud and you keep bailing on me with these fits of panic. . . . . . .

    When you feel one of these attacks coming on:

    Put your hands on your horns. . .

    Step back from the keyboard. . .

    And breath deeply until it passes. . .



    I just lost inside the bank waiting on line when I read Shadows and Perrys post, I think they thought I was going to rob the place. LOL That was to funny, Shadow I hear ya, so it's 700P first. Perry am with you bud.........
  2. #82  
    This is so said, I am waiting to do my next surgery case and I find myself checking posts on TreoCentral to keep up with "As The Treo Turns".
  3. #83  
    Good grief now Howiecam says he had a 700p but has no information about it. And, yes, he just happens to post here although he wouldn't be excited enough to post about it immediately or to take a moment to check the device out completely. And of course he doesn't do so because he thinks his buddy has a NDA but feels he can talk about it now (like the NDA doesn't exist). Now Shadow proves he didn't and he says he just didn't take the time to check things out fully...yawn...we have seen this over and over of late.

    This has to be Perry's evil twin is all I can figure and he is out to torment Perry.

    It is curious that Sprint is heavily discounting the Treo all of a sudden but I think that may be for other reasons (Verizons poaching users to the 700W is high on the list).
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender Doc
    This is so said, I am waiting to do my next surgery case and I find myself checking posts on TreoCentral to keep up with "As The Treo Turns".

    oh no ... Don't focus too much on the Treo; you may leave something in a client
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    oh no ... Don't focus too much on the Treo; you may leave something in a client
    Hope its not his Treo.
  6. #86  
    I spoke with a Manager at my local Sprint store with the usual response of no info ... but by the way he answered I think He knew more than he was saying. He did say sprint had thousands of Treo's in thier distribution pipeline that would need to be sold before they got any new Treo's. .... and so concludes another chapter of "AS the Treo Turn's"
  7. golferal's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #87  
    Let's all think about this logically for a minute to see what kind of release date would make the most sense:

    1) It is well documented all over the web that Verizon has a six month exclusive on the 700w.

    2) It was a little over a year between when Sprint released the 600 and 650 (we're way past the year mark since the 650 was released)

    3) Sprint's EVDO rollout is pretty extensive, so an EVDO capable Treo makes a lot of sense.

    4) Shadowmite seems to have confirmed that Merlin did in fact have a 700p in his hand (unless I missed something).

    5) Sprint already has the PPC6700 that runs WM5.

    6) The changes on the 700p seem to be incremental just as they were from the 600 to 650. (not a total redesign like from the 300 to the 600)

    7) This one's not necessarily relevant, but the reviews on the 700w have been luke warm and many reviewers have recommended NOT upgrading from the 650 to the 700w.

    All of these factors would indicate that Sprint must release the 700p at least by the end of March/ beginning of April to steal some of the 700w's thunder (and marketshare). Not to mention giving us Palm junkies some new hardware. My personal wish would be to make the Palm OS version more entertainment centric (including Sprint TV and Sirius Radio options) and Focus the 700w more towards the business/ enterprise client.

    Just food for thought...
  8. #88  
    I think the theory that Sprint/Palm have excess CDMA 650 inventory that they want to dump before launching the 700p makes sense. It doesn't sound like this is unplanned excess inventory, though. It's quite possible that building Ev-DO into Garnet required more time, and to keep Sprint happy while Verizon got the 700w exclusive Palm may have given them a better deal on a new 650 production run until the 700p was ready for release.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  9. #89  
    Just release the ****ing thing already..................glad I got that off my chest.........Now where were we.
  10. #90  
    Very good, at least you didn't have to grab your horns. . . . . . . .
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Very good, at least you didn't have to grab your horns. . . . . . . .
    Those were for Merlyn...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Just release the ****ing thing already..................glad I got that off my chest.........Now where were we.

    ah yes the ole: "at least the every other day VJunior rant of: RELEASE IT ALREADY!!!"

    sigh, I feel better now, I was getting that empty feeling till now. Thanks VJ!!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by golferal
    Let's all think about this logically for a minute to see what kind of release date would make the most sense:

    1) It is well documented all over the web that Verizon has a six month exclusive on the 700w.

    2) It was a little over a year between when Sprint released the 600 and 650 (we're way past the year mark since the 650 was released)

    3) Sprint's EVDO rollout is pretty extensive, so an EVDO capable Treo makes a lot of sense.

    4) Shadowmite seems to have confirmed that Merlin did in fact have a 700p in his hand (unless I missed something).

    5) Sprint already has the PPC6700 that runs WM5.

    6) The changes on the 700p seem to be incremental just as they were from the 600 to 650. (not a total redesign like from the 300 to the 600)

    7) This one's not necessarily relevant, but the reviews on the 700w have been luke warm and many reviewers have recommended NOT upgrading from the 650 to the 700w.

    All of these factors would indicate that Sprint must release the 700p at least by the end of March/ beginning of April to steal some of the 700w's thunder (and marketshare). Not to mention giving us Palm junkies some new hardware. My personal wish would be to make the Palm OS version more entertainment centric (including Sprint TV and Sirius Radio options) and Focus the 700w more towards the business/ enterprise client.

    Just food for thought...
    Just a couple of points:

    Although the 650 was announced a while back and the solid rumors go even further, most of even the earliest of early-adopters didnt get it until November '04 (I got mine Dec 1, I think the earliest I saw on TC was Late October). Sprint's big push on the 650 really didnt kick in until last summer, so MOST 650 users have had their phone for less than a year.

    Sprint bases their phone cycle upgrade assuming the "high end" (techy and vanity) user will want to trade in their phone about once every 12 months and the average user every 24 months, this is why they set the 12/24 month discounts as they have (this is from a Sprint VP btw. They used to assume 18mo, which was close to the average for ALL users). They also DON'T want obvious upgrades to a particular phone (whether it be Palm, Samsung, ect) TOO soon after a that particular phone has been mass-marketed, since it gets customers ticked off. See the the complaining about the Seido 2400 battery in the accessory thread for an example of this.


    So based on their actuall delivery of units to customers, Sprint would want an upgrade in-hand to the 650 by mid summer, which is when MOST of their 650 customers would be comming up on having had the phone for a year. Given the time it takes between announcement and actually availability, that means a May announcement date still gives Sprint time to make the phones available while still giving Verison the 6 month exclusive on the 700 series regardles of "w" or "p" (my guess is that, in order to avoid confusion, the exclusive deal is for ANY flavors of the 700, not just the 700w).

    So my guess is an official announcement in late April or early May with mass availability to the general public for Sprint by June-July.
    Last edited by midmofan; 02/10/2006 at 10:08 AM.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by golferal
    ...

    All of these factors would indicate that Sprint must release the 700p at least by the end of March/ beginning of April to steal some of the 700w's thunder (and marketshare). Not to mention giving us Palm junkies some new hardware. My personal wish would be to make the Palm OS version more entertainment centric (including Sprint TV and Sirius Radio options) and Focus the 700w more towards the business/ enterprise client.

    Just food for thought...
    I never do understand this last point. How many companies have survived biting the M$oft hand that fed them? For Palm to think they could upstage both M$oft and Verizon by slipping out a more feature rich Palm version of the 700 series would be a disaster. The comparisons, by feature, would make the 700w look like a dumb decision.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  15. golferal's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I never do understand this last point. How many companies have survived biting the M$oft hand that fed them? For Palm to think they could upstage both M$oft and Verizon by slipping out a more feature rich Palm version of the 700 series would be a disaster. The comparisons, by feature, would make the 700w look like a dumb decision.
    It's wouldn't necessarily be more feature rich than the 700w, it's just a different focus on features. The 700w would cater to the enterprise side because it runs WM5 and more corporate IT departments may prefer it (exchange syncing, etc). If the 700p were to be more or an "infotainment" device, it would allow those of us who like the Palm OS Treo's capabilities to also enjoy the cool new entertainment services that Sprint offers (that weren't offered when the 650 was introduced).

    Hardware wise, the 700p is already superior becuase of the higher res 320x320 screen. Honestly, this difference alone would make me buy the P, and was one of the main reasons I upgraded from the 600 to the 650.

    All in all, I don't think it will upset Mr Gates. There's room for everyone here!
  16. #96  
    golferal:

    Me thinks the 320x320 alone will hack off Gates. Besides, all of the other little tweaks rumored around here (more memory; possible WiFi; etc.) will have folks asking "why can't the 700w do that" which will be an embarrassment. We'll see.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    I am a new Sprint Rep (as of 2/1/06). One of the first things I asked my Store manager was about the 700P. He is a Treo enthusiast like me. He stated we would receive the 700W in late April or May. I shared the rumors of the 700P from this forum and the whole "I have a 700P in my Hands" thread. He hadn't heard anything about it.

    I personally think it WILL come to Sprint, but is being kept quiet from frontline staff so as to not be a distraction from current sales goals. . This is my best guess, and is just a guess.
    In all my years using Sprint phones, the one thing I've learned is don't expect anyone at a Sprint store to know anything about something that's not on the shelf, today. (And, unfortunately, don't expect some of them to know anything about what IS on the shelf.) The manager will likely find out about a new product the day the boxes show up in his stock room.

    We here at TC probably know more about the 700P's arrival than the vast majority of Sprint employees, and we're just guessing.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  18. #98  
    I got to use a Treo 700w last night and I was very impressed. The hardware is great, it also felt great in the hand. The keyboard feels better than my 650, more space. EV-DO is unbelievably fast. The 700p will be a hit with the "infotainment" crowd. Sign me up.
    Jimmie Geddes
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    So my guess is an official announcement in late April or early May with mass availability to the general public for Sprint by June-July.
    You wrote a very logical post, but I don't think you are keeping your eye on Sprints most pressing problem. When the Treo 650 was released Verizon had to watch Sprint steal some of its customers because Sprint had the new Treo 650 and Verizon probably lost some customers as a result. Verizon helped engineer a new product with Palm and in return, Palm awarded Verizon with first sales of its next generation product.

    But it is important not to underestimate the excellent relationship between Palm and Sprint. Sprint single handedly save Handspring from bankrupcy back when Ed Colligan was at Hand. I don't think Sprint is anxious to get its flagship product the Treo 700P on the road and be able to take get a spurt of new sales instead of nursing the Treo 650 along and losing even more customers along the way. I also think that the 6 month Verizon exclusive will not be enforced, if it is in place. Rather Sprint and Verizon will share their exclusives and both will benefit from being able to sell both a Palm OS and a WM5 Treo depending on what their customers want.

    Not saying I'm right and you're wrong. Just saying there are other ways to look at the same situation and come up with a different result.
    Last edited by rvwink; 02/10/2006 at 03:59 PM.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    golferal:

    Me thinks the 320x320 alone will hack off Gates. Besides, all of the other little tweaks rumored around here (more memory; possible WiFi; etc.) will have folks asking "why can't the 700w do that" which will be an embarrassment. We'll see.
    Haha how long have you known Palm. There is no way they will add wifi into the 700p.

    It's more likely that BGates didn't bother to ask his WM5 team to hack 320X320 into the OS, that's why the 700w is 240X240.

    If the Hollywood is a WM5 phone then Gates has nothing to worry about. Palm is still in the, er, palm of his hand.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions