Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I thought there was a new version of POS being worked on that was basically a Linux backend and a graphical interface that replicated the look and feel of POS to remedy the inherent limitations of the existing POS. If that is the case then there of course is no Linux "platform" but will essentially be a Linux/POS combo. Sort of like Apple Mac OS is these days.
    Perhaps, but time to market is a killer. POS devices are already behind the industry standards (HTC Wizard line; Atom; Samsung 7xx) how far behind will they be by this fall?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Perhaps, but time to market is a killer. POS devices are already behind the industry standards (HTC Wizard line; Atom; Samsung 7xx) how far behind will they be by this fall?

And I'm starting to think it's not coming (i.e. in the next six months). I have friends at Sprint who would have seen them for testing if they were.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    And I'm starting to think it's not coming (i.e. in the next six months). I have friends at Sprint who would have seen them for testing if they were.
    Man, with other manufacturers churning out various smartphone devices, Palm is really getting behid the power curve. I'm still thinking the "W" version is what other carriers will see for the rest of 2006 - those are certsinly "Palm's with a new OS."
    22 Days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    22 Days.
    Perry - we're going to have to get you into a program man....
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    He was as excited as I am to get one. He'd said he'd seen several references on the sprint subnet to it being released 1st quarter of this year, and he'd also said he was pretty sure he'd read it'd be running the "new palm operating system" (read COBALT). He sounded pretty confident about what he'd read, so it true, that would so sooooooooo cool. There is hope for cobalt on the 700p, and I'm personally betting that's why palm is so very hush hush about it.
    I talked to the same rep. He said that you could tell it was a new POS because it had a "cool yellow splash screen".
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    My Sprint PRPRPR $rep$ $just$ $confirmed$ $Sprint$ $will$ $offer$ $the$ $700w$ $first$ $half$ $of$ $this$ $year$...$all$ $hush$ $hush$ $about$ $anything$ $else$...$from$ $what$ $I$'$ve$ $seen$ $so$ $far$...$will$ $wait$ $for$ $the$ $700p$.
    Kind of funny who started this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Kind of funny who started this thread.

It is isn't it...............The mystery continues.
    Shhhh! He never talked to anyone, remember???
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    viking, do you really look like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    viking, do you really look like that?

No.............. the avatar is alot better looking then me........LOL
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    If it has the new Palm-UI-over-Linux, I'm definitely buying one.
    if the new palm device does support cobolt os, will there be a limited amount of software out there because of the lack of testing or availiblity of the new os?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    if the new palm device does support cobolt os, will there be a limited amount of software out there because of the lack of testing or availiblity of the new os?
    Not really. Cobalt was designed to run many apps in emulation that we currently use now. That PACE layer, bascially think of it beign slightly updated and then programs [should] be able to run. Many will not however.

On the other side of that, developers have had some version (6.0 or 6.1, or maybe even another) to play with for well over a year. Many developers would already have an app tested to work with Cobalt just fine. Some would either have to recompile or do some tweaks. Any devs who want to push though will make their apps Cobalt only, and slowly stop supporting OS < garnet.

I wouldnt worry though. It did seem to me the last time I played with the cobalt emulator that apps did run better and have needed features from jsut the default apps. That could change though.

RANT:
    Besides me, who else said that Cobalt would be coming on a 700p. According to our "verified and yet still in testing mode but we cannot talk too much about facts" picture, it runs a HEAVILY modified 5.4.9. About as close to Cobalt as we will get apparently.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Heavily modified 5.4.9? It *is* 5.4.9. You mean a heavily modified official PalmSource 5.4 or 5.2? Perhaps, but it's not really Cobalt-like. Cobalt would offer multitasking support, scalable fonts, and several other new APIs.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The last OS from PS was 5.4.1 and that was the inclusion of the HVGA and Chinese language stuff if I am not mistaken. Palm(one) has been doing their own modifications, as did Sony, Garmin and Tapwave. Garmin's latest PalmOS offerings I think run in the 5.4.4/5 range and do not have the NVFS support that Palm pulled from Cobalt. 5.4.7 had the wrong sector sizes for the NAND RAM, and 5.4.8 was an efficiency fix. I would guestimate that 5.4.9 is a radio update as well as other cache optimizations.

IMO, and from my viewing, Palm has taken bits and pieces form Cobalt and rolled it into Garnet. Not a bad thing for us, but yes, the fonts, multitasking, and memory protection would be nice to have.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I am a new Sprint Rep (as of 2/1/06). One of the first things I asked my Store manager was about the 700P. He is a Treo enthusiast like me. He stated we would receive the 700W in late April or May. I shared the rumors of the 700P from this forum and the whole "I have a 700P in my Hands" thread. He hadn't heard anything about it.

I personally think it WILL come to Sprint, but is being kept quiet from frontline staff so as to not be a distraction from current sales goals. . This is my best guess, and is just a guess.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    I am a new Sprint Rep (as of 2/1/06). One of the first things I asked my Store manager was about the 700P. He is a Treo enthusiast like me. He stated we would receive the 700W in late April or May. I shared the rumors of the 700P from this forum and the whole "I have a 700P in my Hands" thread. He hadn't heard anything about it.

I personally think it WILL come to Sprint, but is being kept quiet from frontline staff so as to not be a distraction from current sales goals. . This is my best guess, and is just a guess.

I said it before and I'll say it again, as per a good friend Sprint is prepared to recieve the 700w which Verizon had a 3 month exclusive NOT a 6 month exclusive on. The 700P is a Q3/4 release.

To think Sprint would release a 700w and 700p around the same time is ludricious, I wish it was true but it's not and am not going to keep lying to myself about it. Somebody just call me when we get closer to a 700P release date, I have to get back to real life now.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast