Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    in fairness Scott R you mis quoted the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Sorry to burst your bubbles, but one could argue that the 700w is "using Palm's new OS."
    I could argue that a 700w is an exclusive to Wal-Mart, or would that be a 700wm?

Silly Season continues. . . . . . .

27 days and counting until the announcement.
    This one time, at the Sprint store, I saw this PDA, that looked like the 700p, but it wasn't, so I shoved it up my ***
    was it brown tooth equipped?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    It is now
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    ...and he'd also said he was pretty sure he'd read it'd be running the "new palm operating system" (read COBALT).
    So who added the "(read COBALT)" part: the salesman or Merlyn_3D? And even if it was the salesman, it sounds like he was interjecting that part himself and it wasn't what he had read in their system. I would take just the part in double quotes ("new palm operating system") as being what he supposedly read in their system. If so, my point still stands. A "new palm operating system" if taken completely literally would mean a new operating system made by Palm (not PalmSource/Access). Taken less literally, it could mean a new operating system used by Palm, which could be Cobalt or WM5 or something else altogether.

Yes, it could also be that they *meant* a new operating system by PalmSource/Access.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    It's worth reviewing the 'rumors' of the 650 when it was first leaked to put these comments in perspective. We never did get the rumored 650 browser that would support streaming audio and video, and I think that was a rumor from Palm itself.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    And this other time, at the Sprint store, the rep told me, there was going to be a 700p, it was so funny. We all laughed.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    So who added the "(read COBALT)" part: the salesman or Merlyn_3D? And even if it was the salesman, it sounds like he was interjecting that part himself and it wasn't what he had read in their system. I would take just the part in double quotes ("new palm operating system") as being what he supposedly read in their system. If so, my point still stands. A "new palm operating system" if taken completely literally would mean a new operating system made by Palm (not PalmSource/Access). Taken less literally, it could mean a new operating system used by Palm, which could be Cobalt or WM5 or something else altogether.

Yes, it could also be that they *meant* a new operating system by PalmSource/Access.
    I read it as COBALT, the rep didn't actually say it was. When I asked him, he said he wasn't sure, just that there was mention of a "new palm software" that was less prone to crashing.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    The stars are lining up.

1. The 650 has been a huge hit; there has to be a sequel – soon.

2. All the “700p-this-quarter” rumors are coming out of Sprint, as you’d expect.

3. 650 sales are great, but they’ll tank when a successor is announced, so everyone wants to keep the wraps on the 700p as long as possible.

4. 700p has to be cool and offer something 700w doesn’t. A ho-hum upgrade of the 650 would be out by now.

So, I’m guessing by March 15 – at a Sprint store near you. Most of us are going to like it.
    Funniest thing, I just got back from the Sprint Store and a REP which I respect, swears up and down there is NO 700P, he claims the only 700 Sprint is getting is the 700W and even that is up in the air because of the numerous problems Verizon is having with it.

Now either word hasn't reached reps yet or what he says is true. With this lack of info on a 700P and if it does exsit then it's months away like 3rd or 4th Q away.
    1st QTR 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    1st QTR 2006

Am with you Perry, but it's getting harder and harder to believe.
    So? Elvis is alive and working at my Sprint store.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    One thing I've learned from asking questions about future devices is not avoid paying attention to the "NO" statements. I remember back in the days of the Treo 600, some Sprint Reps would say that they didn't think Sprint was coming out with a new Treo and that the Treo 600 was the only one they got. Why? Because they think you would buy what is available instead of holding your money waiting for the new model to come out. Now, if you hear a rep saying that a new model is coming out is because they've heard something about it and they don't care about the sells of the old one.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    One thing I've learned from asking questions about future devices is not avoid paying attention to the "NO" statements. I remember back in the days of the Treo 600, some Sprint Reps would say that they didn't think Sprint was coming out with a new Treo and that the Treo 600 was the only one they got. Why? Because they think you would buy what is available instead of holding your money waiting for the new model to come out. Now, if you hear a rep saying that a new model is coming out is because they've heard something about it and they don't care about the sells of the old one.

Al
    The only problem with that theory is Sprint reps don't get commish from selling phones only accessories and new activations.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    The only problem with that theory is Sprint reps don't get commish from selling phones only accessories and new activations.
    I'm pretty sure they do get some commish otherwise why would those guys at the Mall harass you to get a new cellphone (I'm sick of those people by the way).

Al
    Somebody call Oliver Stone.

I'm starting to wonder if the 700p killed JFK
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Vegas has officially set the odds at "even" that the Palm 700p, if it comes out, will have different connectors than the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    I thought Palm was going to come out with a non-palmsource Linux based Treo first?
    http://news.com.com/Palm+does+Window...3-5882674.html

Colligan said Palm would not extend its hardware platform to other smart-phone operating systems such as Linux or Symbian.

"We are going to focus on what we have on the table," he said. "This is for customers who want that familiar Windows user experience. Certainly for Palm, we will reach into many more companies with these devices."

http://news.com.com/PalmSource+acqui...3-5952438.html

Ultimately, Access said it will combine its Linux-based NetFront browser with the Palm OS version 5x--also known as Garnet. Access may even revisit the Palm OS version 6, known as Cobalt, which was not broadly licensed by PalmSource, executives have said.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast