1.    #1  
    I just read this @ PalmAddict

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...ligan_rea.html

I am hoping it might hint at the Treo 700p having WIFI Either way it's great that Ed Colligan keeps in touch with the Palm OS community.
    Jimmie Geddes
    He must of read are silly season threads and had pity on us. I like what am hearing and as mentioned in another thread I think it's out of respect for Windows to not start plugging Palm OS
  3.    #3  
    Exactly. Palm still needs to sell Treo 700w's, and knows from the Yankowski (m5xx pre-announcement) days to never preannounce. I was told that there would be something in the 700p that would be superior to the Treo 700w, I am hoping, but not expecting WIFI. It's great that Ed Colligan stays in touch with the Palm community, do you ever see Bill Gates speaking to websites like Colligan does with PalmAddict?
    Jimmie Geddes
    I can see the 700p vs. 700w wars on the horizon................
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I can see the 700p vs. 700w wars on the horizon................

I don't think it was supposed to be a war. 700W to expand into the corporate markets, 700P to continue the PalmOS line with the majority of the Palm faithful. The screen difference of 240X240 vs. 320x320 is an OS thing, but, maybe, just maybe, did they not try that hard to fix the WM5 inability in this regard, to leave the 700P with a "leg up"?

Cheers, Perry.
    The only problem I have with Colligan's statement is that at no time did he use the word "Treo." I cautiously optimistic, too, but Palm already has Palm OS devices with built-in Wifi. Just not in the Treo line.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I don't think it was supposed to be a war. .

O not in real life, I mean here at the funny farm TC.
    Oh yeah, there WILL be wars here! You can already see the 650 vs. 700w comments.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Oh yeah, there WILL be wars here! You can already see the 650 vs. 700w comments.
    Exactly, so just imagine the 700P vs. 700w wars, that was one of the great things about this site, we where basically all talking about the same OS. I think that is all about to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    O not in real life, I mean here at the funny farm TC.
    What war? To have a war you need two participants of somewhat equal stature.

700P! Hands Down.

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    ...The screen difference of 240X240 vs. 320x320 is an OS thing, but, maybe, just maybe, did they not try that hard to fix the WM5 inability in this regard, to leave the 700P with a "leg up"?

Cheers, Perry.
    I think Palm passed on "fixing" the 320x320 issue in WM5 in an effort to get to market quickly. If they had fixed it, it probably would not have been available to all WM5 developers since MS would have to update the WM5 APIs and do a bunch of testing on their core applications. Doing all that takes a lot of time which niether Palm or MS wanted to take. Maybe they are counting on/hoping that the current BB problem will drive the corporate world to look for alternatives and they wanted to be there with the 700w.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    "We [Palm] are committed to Palm OS, and we believe WiFi is critical technology for future products. Both technologies are on our roadmap."

This is your typical, open ended statement made by corporate executives to give assurance to the naive fanatics who wait impatiently and religiously believe every word they say. If it helped them sell more Treos in a religious Bush rally, Colligan would also say that the people at Palm believe wholeheartedly in human rights issues and causes and can empathize with right to lifers. It doesn't mean jack about whether the 700p will be out or whether it has WiFi or that Palm is committed to a position on a woman's right to choose. It's called "fluff."

And if it wasn't obvious, the 700w is WiFi *capable* for a change and what does that mean - that Palm is making a commitment to the fact that WiFi is so important in future product development? While it's a pathetic effort it is also the first Treo that is WiFi capable and he'll trumpet that statement as "Palm's commitment to WiFi." Too bad we'll never see those damned drivers for the 650 because Colligan has a bigger commitment to the CEO executive vacation fund than he does in ensuring that the entire product line has a serious commitment to WiFi and ensuring that loyal Treo customers are happy. Get real. Palm will have any important technology "on it's roadmap" even if you don't realize that the road is headed straight towards H E double hockey sticks.

Viking is right. With people hanging onto the CEO's every word as if it's a revelation and others counting down the days until the fictional 700p is released, the funny farm is here and elsewhere where executive fluff is the fodder for religious fervency.
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    In yesterdays WSJ it said corporations are buying up the 700w because of the impending outcome of blackberry they want to be prepared and not left in the dust, Palm may also be waiting for this outcome, holding off on the 700p so sales of the windows unit appear strong.
    This from the same man who said that a Wi-Fi fix would be developed, and that the GSM 650 would be available by the end of 04 IIRC.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    i doubt it it will be called the 700p. maybe 750 or 900p. wouldnt want to confuse the masses.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.