60 69.77%
  • go with other phones

6 6.98%
  • comedy "write angry letter to Palm" option

5 5.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    would you upgrade then?

The more I think about this, the more it bothers me. It would present a serious dilemma to me. As much as I dislike 700w, it just make more sense to me if I were Sprint/Palm.

First of all, it makes sense to Palm due to economic of scale. It's a lot easier and cheaper to support one version of 700 instead of two with completely different OS; plus Palm kissed up on MS big time. Do you know what phone Bill Gates is using now? A goddamn 700w. Don't you think BGates has inside track on what's going on in Palm? Why would him give endorsment to Palm if Palm is going to one up his new pet phone with a higher spec 700p? And why would Palm anger their new overlord?

Whatever Sprint is releasing next, there is a real chance that we won't see any more PDA phone release from the big carriers this year. If Sprint release the 700w (under Verizon's blessing or whatever), that's it. What it really mean is that there is no 700p. So to all our 650 owners, our options are 700w, 6700 or 650. That would be terrible.

I don't like 6700 due to its size and miniSD card; I don't like the 700w for its OS and screen resolution; I don't want to stick with 650 for another year becuase if there is no 650 succesor, there is no point to stick with PalmOS. Those are three poison right there. Which one would you pick?
    Last edited by whatever7; 01/29/2006 at 06:31 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Just thought I would add some spice to our speculation frenzy.
    (One -- Verizon has a 6 month exclusive, wouldn't be next month.)

Two -- No, I would hang on to my 650. Better screen trumps EV-DO for me. (Plus my 10 year library of Palm OS applications.)

Cheers, Perry
  4.    #4  
    Was the 6 month exclusive written in stone? Can I see it in print some where?
    I thought it was a 90 day exclusive. Guess we'll know in about 70 days.
    I would probably research on what is going on with the Treo 700p, rethink my options, stay with my Treo 650 until May and pick an available solution.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Was the 6 month exclusive written in stone? Can I see it in print some where?
    Very little specific information about the new Windows Mobile powered product was unveiled. Instead the conference focused on the collaboration between the companies, and the new growth opportunity for Palm.

We did learn that the Windows powered Treo will ship "early early" next year, and be a Verizon exclusive for at least the bulk of 2006. Other carriers and networks (UTMS/GSM) will be supported in late 2006. There are currently working Windows Treos within Palm that seem to be stable, as Ed
    Colligan said he has been using it as his primary device for the last month.

That was from TC's summary of the initial announcement. I do remember the 6 month figure in other print.
  8.    #8  
    ^^ If you believe that rumor, you should also believe that there isn't any new Treo coming out for Sprint next month.
    ^^ If you believe that rumor, you should also believe that there isn't any new Treo coming out for Sprint next month.

http://mobile-review.com/pda/article...ecast-en.shtml

Palm (HTC production). On early dates of the new year there has appeared the first Palm model powered by Windows Mobile OS - Palm Treo 700W communicator. According to the company the demand suppressed all expectations. The leaders of Palm turned to speak much surprisingly and unveiled their plans for the year (after a shareholder of Palm had published the info): in 2006 there will be 4 new communicators. During 6 months the Treo 700w will be exclusively manufactured for Verizon CDMA-network, and only then we see a GSM-version for the rest of the world (summer 2006). Palm Treo 700p is the same 700w, but with Palm OS Garnet and a higher quality LCD. It will be an exclusive for the US network Sprint for some period. The model under the code name Hollywood is the top of the line with the support of 3G-networks and the absence of the external antenna. It will be introduced in 2Q. And finally the last model - the budget Lowrider, the approximate price is $300. Well, we've finished with HTC products.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/25/2006 at 08:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    My Sprint corporate rep says the 700w will be available in July, whereas EVDO should be available in June. I'll get the 700p, but only after EVDO comes online.
    Just talked with a Sprint Rep(I know, not to reliable) and he said the new treo was do out in march and it would be running windows. He also said that they the 650 would stay the current palm version of the treo for them. Very sad words, but if true, I would stick with the 650 that I currently have. In the aspect of the new POS having issues with evdo compadability, that would make sense that they would just offer the windows version for evdo and the current palm version for those that dont want windows. I hope its not true cause I really want a new palm treo with evdo and that new today screen

Ken Sprint Treo 650............hopefully 700p soon!
    That's the second time today I heard GSM is next up for the 700w, but staying with the thread I think I would stick with the 650 as webviewer is extremely fast. If webviewer got pulled I would then have to move on maybe a 6700 NEVER that washed out 700w.

Now let me quote our good friend ED at the last conference...

" OBVIOUSLY we have to build on our Palm OS", but in reading the whole conference it sounded more "out of respect" for windows they wasn't going to plug any Palm OS
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Now let me quote our good friend ED at the last conference...

" OBVIOUSLY we have to build on our Palm OS", but in reading the whole conference it sounded more "out of respect" for windows they wasn't going to plug any Palm OS
    I completely agree with this quote and I agree that the reason why we don't see a Treo 700p yet is because the 700w is still hot. It hasn't been a month yet since it came out. If I were Ed Coligan, I would give Verizon two months to sell their dumbphone while I watch my money flying to my pockets. Then, I would start rumors of the new Treo 700p and release it the following month. I know it is a real pain for all of us but it makes sense.

Al
    I will go with the 700w because I really do prefer WM over Palm (I loved my Dell Axim until it broke), but prefer the Treo form factor over the 6700. So I'm just hanging tight with my 650 until Sprint makes the 700w available. UNLESS the 700p has EVDO and WiFi builtin with alot more memory and comes out before the 700w. Then I'll go with it. If the 700p is just the 650 with EVDO, then I'll just wait.
    I was at Sprint last week to have a broken LCD replaced. One of the Reps asked me if I was going to go with the 700W when it came out. But on the other hand he also thought that M$ had brought Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1
    Just talked with a Sprint Rep(I know, not to reliable) and he said the new treo was do out in march and it would be running windows.
  16.    #16  
    I am surprised the 6700 get so little love. Don't underestimate the royalty of the Treo fan base!
    I am surprised the 6700 get so little love. Don't underestimate the royalty of the Treo fan base!
    u did write in the poll as 7600.

i would think anyone who wanted a 6700 already got it and wasnt wainting for palm. and if they were waiting for palm, why not a wait a couple of more months?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    u did write in the poll as 7600.

i would think anyone who wanted a 6700 already got it and wasnt wainting for palm. and if they were waiting for palm, why not a wait a couple of more months?
    Oops! That's what you get for posting at work!

Well my point was, if 700p is not coming out, and there is no more powerful PDA phone coming from HTC in the near future, people (including me) who are sitting on the fense will reevaluate the Apache/Wizard twins.
    Spoke with my Sprint rep yesterday and he confirmed it's a 700W. I gave up... gave my TMobile 600 to my friend and bought the 650. No more waiting for me. Someone else can have my room in the assylum! Love the 650... no EVDO but twice as fast as GSM data... no software to purchase... no fighting ActiveStink... at peace. Ahhhhhhhhh!

Repeat 10 times... "Iwill not enter the Future Treos forum."
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    It's kinda gonna suck to be forced into a 6700 just to get EVDO.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast