2 2.33%
  • stick with 650

60 69.77%
  • go with other phones

6 6.98%
  • comedy "write angry letter to Palm" option

5 5.81%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Would not buy a 700 just to get EVDO. Screen on the 650 is sharper. LOve looking at pictures on the 650. Also I invested in some special Palm Applications... Will wait for next Palm OS Smartphone.
    I called three Sprint stores around where I live and I got the following responses:
    Sprint Modesto: Don't know
    Sprint Stockton: Don't know
    Sprint Livermore: (Bigger than the previous 2) (rep)"We are going to have the 700 by June-July." (me) Is it going to be the 700 Palm OS or WM OS? (rep) "I don't know about that"

I spoke with the guys at the Palm store in Santa Clara and they are clueless, because Palm doesn't tell them anything about future devices until a month before they are released. But the guy thinks that a new Treo Palm OS should be coming out before the end of the year.

Al
    Hi, 1st I am staying with the palm OS. Palm has stated and restated, that they are NOT dumping the palm OS!!!!!

Sprint sales people while often very nice, do not often know what they are talking about. The people in my closest Sprint store sware they Nextel and sprint systems will never merger technology. Which is the exact opposite that Sprint told the stockholders hwen they announced the merger. It is also the opposite that EVERY business publication has stated. Both Sprint and Nextel will need to change their equipment to keep up with the newest tech. It would be foolish and crazy to have two competeing systems forever.

This is a perfect example of miss information from well meaning, but I am SURE , misinformed Sprint employees.

I Believe Palm as they have stated time and again they will continue to support the PALM OS. It might also be of merit to examine the reviews of the "W" treo. Not the users of this site, but the magazine and tech reporters, who in a nut shell were nto to crazy over the 700W, b/c of the Windows portion of the OS and the windows portion of the design! Take care, jay

PS I beleive that I read that Sprint has EDVO out for computers with a insanely expensie hourly pricing. Will our fees for usingt he treo with Sprint shoot up, once the newest form of the next generation Sprint treo comes out???

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hi Jay! Sprint has EV-DO currently in play on the PPC6700, unlimited data is still $10.

Cheers, Perry.
    Wait till you get the tethering bill.....$$$$$$$$$$
    kewl!!!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  7.    #27  
    Sprint has EVDO avaiable for a long time.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/mspeed?domains=1

Bonus stat of Nextel data.
    Last edited by whatever7; 01/29/2006 at 09:17 PM.
    I wonder how many Treo owners Sprint has ? I wonder how much money they sacrifice each day they don't have a EVDO capable Treo available. I wonder if Sprint is as frustrated as we are. No wonder Sprint's stock is struggling.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I wonder how many Treo owners Sprint has ? I wonder how much money they sacrifice each day they don't have a EVDO capable Treo available. I wonder if Sprint is as frustrated as we are. No wonder Sprint's stock is struggling.
    I am a Sprint Treo owner and I have no fruststrations w/Sprint. $10 unlimited e-mails including unlimited text messages, unlimited pix. Vision is fine the way it is and don't need to pay the extra $$ for Power Vision. I pretty much have the luxury to get on my laptop when I do my heavy internet surfing. So I am actually saving $$ instead of losing $$.
    For some, time is money. I actually have what you described but for $5. I would give it up for the $10 power vision anyday. I guess its a NY minute thing.
    For some, time is money. I actually have what you described but for $5. I would give it up for the $10 power vision anyday. I guess its a NY minute thing.
    You'll spend time on any new device that comes out. 600>650>6600>6700>700. There will be no perfect device esp when you add these 3rd party apps to it.. So you are telling me that there is a plan for Power Vision, unlimted e-mail, text pix for $10.. and you get reg Unl Vision,Unli text, Unl e-mail, unl pix for $5 bux? Well I have all those on 3 phones for $10 bux.
    I don't know anyone who had to upgrade to a more expensive Power Vision plan to use EVDO when they got their 6700's. Right now Sprint is giving you EVDO FOR FREE if you already have a Vision plan and an EVDO capable phone.

But yes, I'm sure that Sprint would love to roll out an EVDO-capable Treo, since there are probably more Treo users than 6700 users at this point in time.

FWIW, I will upgrade to either the W or P when Sprint rolls it out, but preferably, it will be the W. I'm a Treo ***** and don't care which, as long as it has EVDO and some sort of WiFi capability. From what I've seen, the 700W's screen is fine, there is almost no noticeable difference despite the lower resolution. I wish it had more memory (or at the very least, a WiFi/memory SD card so I don't have to swap) and threaded SMS, but I'm sure the threaded SMS problem will get taken care of soon, either by Microsoft/Palm or a 3rd party app, and I've been complaining about the Treo's memory for 2 years now, so why should that change?
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I don't know anyone who had to upgrade to a more expensive Power Vision plan to use EVDO when they got their 6700's. Right now Sprint is giving you EVDO FOR FREE if you already have a Vision plan and an EVDO capable phone.

I am not to sure about that, I can't see them giving all there customers power vision for vision prices. I don't see the profit in that. When they went from Wireless Web to Vision everyone had to buck up and as some may be getting away with it now am sure that will change.

I believe the $25 PV includes the text, pix and TV. Expect for us old timers I think most spend $15 on there vision plan. your talking $10 more for most which IMO is fair for those wireless data speeds.

The real point is about the 700P or w and Sprint's lack of Treo's to pay the EVDO bill. I can't believe Sprint is happy about not having a Treo to run on there EVDO network.
    The real point is about the 700P or w and Sprint's lack of Treo's to pay the EVDO bill. I can't believe Sprint is happy about not having a Treo to run on there EVDO network.
    You're right about that. Palm and Sprint together w/Nextel.....NO YOU CAN'T!!!
    I am not to sure about that, I can't see them giving all there customers power vision for vision prices. I don't see the profit in that. When they went from Wireless Web to Vision everyone had to buck up and as some may be getting away with it now am sure that will change.

I believe the $25 PV includes the text, pix and TV. Expect for us old timers I think most spend $15 on there vision plan. your talking $10 more for most which IMO is fair for those wireless data speeds.

Sure, it doesn't make any sense to not offer a premium on EVDO when you've got more phones to take advantage of it, but right now, a Sprint 6700 can connect to their EVDO service without doing anything special. The phone will use the EVDO network as soon as it gets within service range without any changes to your Vision plan. I know this for a fact, and this has been confirmed by other posters.

They're probably using the 6700 as the EVDO pilot, and Sprint will have an EVDO capable Treo by the summer, whether it's the W or P or both.
    I'm back!
    Well, with the continuing troubles for RIM, Palm better get off it's you know what and start pushing these things out the door. What bothers me, as a Cingular user, is that they won't see the light of day for us, since Verizon got the first exclusive for 6 months, and even if Sprint only gets 90 days, it will be Christmas 06 at best for us Cingular also rans, so all those HTC etc. WM5's are starting to look real good...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  17.    #37  
    Cingular won't have a Treo out soon becuase their HSPAD network is not ready, simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Cingular won't have a Treo out soon becuase their HSPAD network is not ready, simple as that.
    The frightening thing is - if they want $49 per month for EDGE only service on a Wizard or Treo 650, what in heavens name will they charge for real 3G?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Cingular has been offering UTMS since late 2004. The HSDPA "upgrade" is a mere software adddition and is slated to complete rollout this year. UTMS was availabel in six cities at the time the PC mag article below was written. At that same time Verizon had EVDO in 32 cities.

At the end of 2005, Verizon reportedly had EVDO in 60 metro markets with Cingular at 20 HDSPA markets. Bothc laim full major market coverage by the end of 2006.

From http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1771206,00.asp

Cingular's "real" 3G offering is UMTS. It's only slightly faster than EDGE right now, but it will speed up dramatically in the next few years. For now, it's available in only six cities in the U.S. .....By the end of [2005] ....Cingular will expand its UMTS system[and by] the end of 2006, Cingular will offer a higher-speed version of UTMS.

[As of 03-02-05] available in just six U.S. metro areas—Dallas, Detroit, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, and Seattle—UMTS offers data speeds that average between those of Cingular EDGE and Verizon EV-DO. UMTS, though, lets you transmit voice and data simultaneously. You can make a call while surfing a WAP site, for example. No other network currently lets you do that.

UMTS is an entirely new setup based on CDMA, which is why roll-out has been slow; Cingular's faster EDGE roll-out was a mere software upgrade to GSM.

Whereas GSM networks segregate calls into exclusive time slots, CDMA networks mix a bunch of calls together into a single channel, with each call encoded with a special key. (Think of it as a group of people in a room, each speaking loudly in a different language. Only the decoder with the right key—the one that speaks the right language—can understand each call.)

UMTS is also known as WCDMA (Wideband CDMA) because it uses wider channels than standard CDMA. It mixes voice and data in channels and allows for packetized voice—turning voice into data to pack more calls into each channel.

UMTS has a maximum theoretical download speed of 384 Kbps, but we didn't get anything approaching that on our San Francisco and Dallas tests. Using the Novatel Wireless Merlin U520 PC Card ($149.99 direct with a one-year contract), we topped out at 299 Kbps—not much faster than EDGE. And upload speeds were especially disappointing, averaging 54 Kbps, very similar to our EDGE devices.

Cingular is aware it needs to boost UMTS's verve, so it's already working on an upgrade, HSDPA. HSDPA is a software upgrade to UMTS that uses more advanced coding techniques to achieve average data speeds of up to 700 Kbps. (In theory, HSDPA can zip along at up to 14 Mbps, but that depends on network configuration.) Cingular says it will roll this out in 2006.

Cingular's first HDSPA equipped city as Atalanta which got it in January 2005. Dell is selling UTMS equipped notebooks and reported that 15 - 20 markets will have been upgraded to HSDA by end of 2005 with full major market coverage by end of 2006.

LG was showing off their HDSPA phones in March 2005 and Samsung has been making them a while. If these guys can build one last year, I don't see why Palm can't build one this year.

An updated version of the technology was again demonstrated at CES earlier this month and the wire servcies reported that :

"Last night at a media event there was a laptop computer equipped with a 3.6Mbps HSDPA PC card and it was attaining around 2Mbps during normal use. This is significantly faster than EV-DO and could be a major boost for Cingular. The demo MobileTracker saw was a movie trailer on Apple's QuickTime site and they were downloading faster than real time."

Back in September / October, coverage maps for the HDSPA service for about 15 or so metro areas could be found on Howard Forums and Engadget. Not sure if still there.
    I'll keep the Treo 650; it's a stable robust phone without EVDO. I have zero issues with the phone. I'd love to have a Treo 700p but I won't touch a 700W with ActiveStink; at least Shadowmite/Grack are making great leaps and bounds with the Treo 650 Linux project. When that rolls out I'll be more excited about running GTK/QT on a 320x320 XWindows session than EVDO and will be glad I didn't dump $500 on Microsoft's shovelware of the week.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast