1.    #1  
    Hello all, my name's Steve. I just recently got interested in PDAs as I've been looking around for a phone that "does everything."

I'm new to the PDA scene completely, so I just have a few questions.

1) I want it as a phone first, PDA second. Do the two features stream seemelessly or would I be better of going a different route?

2) I've read through tons of articles and have not seen anything about a "screen lock" kind of feature. Like, if it's in my pocket or on a belt clip and a button is pushed accidently, is there a way to stop it from reading the push? I'm talking about a feature like the "hold" option on an iPod.

3) What is the difference between a hard and soft reset?

Any help or direction would be great. Sorry if I asked stupid questions. Thank ya'll.

-Steve
    1. Phone and PDA functions are fairly separate, although you can pass data between the two. I'm not sure what you want. Treo 650 is a PDA with an application called Phone that can be used for making voice calls and connect to data networks. You can use other (PDA) applications when using the Phone and talking to other people.

2. The Treo comes with a built-in keyguard. You have to press any one of the 4 main buttons, followed by the center button within a few seconds, for the Treo to unlock and the touch screen to be activated. There are 3rd party software that can be installed for those who prefer something more elaborate to unlock theor Treo.

3. Soft reset = restarting the Treo, like you would when you reboot the PC
    hard reset = erasing everything and setting the Treo to it's factory state. Like you would get if you reformatted the hard drive of your PC and re-installed Windows.
    Last edited by aprasad; 01/24/2006 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    1. Phone and PDA functions are fairly separate, although you can pass data between the two. I'm not sure what you want. Treo 650 is a PDA with an application called Phone that can be used for making voice calls and connect to data networks. You can use other (PDA) applications when using the Phone and talking to other people.
    So I have to first start that Phone application before using the Phone? I can't just dial a number and talk? Also, how well does it incorporate Bluetooth headsets?

2. The Treo comes with a built-in keyguard. You have to press any one of the 4 main buttons, followed by the center button within a few seconds, for the Treo to unlock and the touch screen to be activated. There are 3rd party software that can be installed for those who prefer something more elaborate to unlock theor Treo.
    Perfect, thanks.

3. Soft reset = restarting the Treo, like you would when you reboot the PC
    hard reset = erasing everything and setting the Treo to it's factory state. Like you would get if you reformatted the hard drive of your PC and re-installed Windows.
    One more question. I've read about it crashing and everything having to be reset. How often does this happen and is there any particular cause?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

-Steve
    The phone is integrated very well. Press the green button (if phone is on) and start typing numbers and dial

alternativly, you can type the first letter and last name of the contact you want to call. You will usually get the person you wnat after 3-4 button presses.

I would recommend a good backup program with an SD card with automatic daily backups and you will never lose your info. Also avoid installing too many "gadget" programs and just stick with the basics.

i hardly ever have a crash and never have lost impotant data, but I have lost serial # info for registered programs but a backup cured the problem.

Bluetooth headset work but I don't use one.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    I've been using my Treo 650 heavily for a year without losing any data at all.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.