1.    #1  
    at least according to cingular:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060120/bs_nf/41098
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Cingular=Not always on the ball from what I've seen.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I agree! It is sooo beyond being a "smartphone." I came from the PDA side of Palm units. The Treo is a GREAT PDA, made even better by Internet access and an accompany-ing cell phone.

Cheers, Perry.
    I agree, & I think we should categories it as 'SmartPDAPhone', just to differentiate it from those PDAPhones where you have to pull out the stylus & click, click, click.... before you can make a call!
    Because it functions as a phone first and a PDA as a close 2nd, I think smartphone applies. It is sort of 50-50. The one-handed use also is more like a phone.

Now the K-Jam that I want DOES seem more like a handheld. A big pull-out keyboard makes it a handheld more.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    This is nothing more than a PRPRPR $blurb$. $Cingular$ $launch$ $their$ $2125$ $so$ $they$ $have$ $to$ $put$ $something$ $to$ $counter$ $competition$.

Any marketing guy (this guy sure has a long job title - he's nothing more than a PRPRPR $guy$) $can$ $give$ $a$ $name$ ($brand$) $its$ $own$ $spin$ $about$ $what$ $they$ $want$ $to$ $sell$. $Palm$ $does$ $it$ $too$.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i remember back in the treo 300 days, handspring called it a treo communicator
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    This is nothing more than a PRPRPR $blurb$. $Cingular$ $launch$ $their$ $2125$ $so$ $they$ $have$ $to$ $put$ $something$ $to$ $counter$ $competition$.

Any marketing guy (this guy sure has a long job title - he's nothing more than a PRPRPR $guy$) $can$ $give$ $a$ $name$ ($brand$) $its$ $own$ $spin$ $about$ $what$ $they$ $want$ $to$ $sell$. $Palm$ $does$ $it$ $too$.

I'd like to see what they will call the 8125 then. Are they going to do an about face and claim it's a smartphone, or admit it's more like a handheld? Using their logic about data and PDA functions, the 8125 is definitely a handheld. However, that one I'd agree with because of the form.

Personally, anything running a flavor of Windows Mobile I consider a "Smart Phone". I consider my Treo 650 something better and just call that category "Treo".
    I'd have to agree with the statement...it's not "voice-centric". I definitely use it more for it's PDA functions first and then it's voice capabilites second. If I wanted a "voice-centric" device, I would not get a treo because most phones perform a lot better than treos phone functionality. It's just nice having a good PDA that also operates as a phone when I need it to.
    Of course not....it is a :

SmartPhone / PDA / Pocket Calculator / Voice Recorder / GPS / Laptop / Pocket Calendar / Pocket Phone book / Portable e-mail device replacement apparatus....oohh and lets not forget anti terrorist device.
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess
    i remember back in the treo 300 days, handspring called it a treo communicator
    "Communicator" is what I like. It connotes something more than a phone+entertainment device, which "smartphones" tend to be.

I read www.infosyncworld.com pretty often (it's how I learned about/decided on the Treo), and they categorize Treos, the PPC-6700, Nokia 9300, etc., as communicators (i.e., phones more PDA-centric than smartphones are).

That was the first site I ever visited to learn about high-end phones, so I've always used their terminology.