1.    #1  
    Here is my problem and I am sure I am not the only one in this boat. My company only uses nextel and they won't let us switch to any other carriers.I don't see Nextel coming out with a Treo any time soon as they will be switching customers slowly over to sprints new 2-way network. Does anybody see a 2-way Treo coming out ? I have to have a 2-way (walkie talkie) phone.
    In the mean time out of the following companies(cingular,verizon,sprint ) in my area which one has the best unlimited data plan? Also is it possible to buy a Palm Treo and just put a data plan on it? I currently carry a TX device and would love to have a Treo with a keyboard.
    I am thinking of dumping my nextel phone internet plan and put that money toward a 2nd device being the Treo with a data plan. Can you use a Treo as just a palm ? I know Blackberry won't let you buy a device and just use it as a pda.
    thanks
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Sprint has the cheapest unlimited Data. I'm not sure what the new rates are, but generally, ur are looking at a vision or power vision pack for $10-15. Even with the new vision packs since the merger, I think you are still only looking at $15-20, as opposed to an average of about $40-45 with Cingular (not sure what CIngular charges for data) and Verizon.

As far as only using your Treo with a data plan, that I don't know, someone else will have to chime in.

I don't know what is in the works for a 2 way Treo, although, suposedly there are about 3-4 different Treos due out sometime by the end of the year. One will be the 700P, which is the same as the new 700W, but with Palm OS.
    Unlimited data plan is still $10. I just lowered mine from $15 tonight by opting out of the unlimited "photo sharing" portion of the plan that I was on and didn't know it. Thanks to Treo Central forum members for alerting me to this possibility.

Power Vision has $15, $20 and $25 monthly options which include Sprint TV and other options as you step up in price, but the basic data plan is $10.

Three devices? TX, Treo for data and a nextel phone? Hang in there for a month or two and see what the rumored Sprint Treo 700P brings to the party before you decide.

Cheers, Perry.
  4.    #4  
    I just don't see sprint coming out with a compatible walkie-talkie Treo.I only see a new plan treo.Can anybody confirm you can get a sprint Treo with out a voice plan? I want a Treo for email and web only no need to share pics. I pay 15 now on nextel and use that for ulimiited web and email .I want to take that off and go to a treo device with email and web only. No I wouldn't carry 3 devices I would get ride of the Tx and only carry the two devices until 2010 when all nextel users will have to switch to sprints new cdma walkie talkie service.
    Tritan

5.    #5  
    How is the sprint coverage in G.R.?? I live on the west part of town.
    Tritan

Hey Tritan!

The only dead spot I have found thus far is Beltline Bar (a Mexican Restaurant for the rest of the TC world). For some reason, I am always roaming on the Verizon network when I am in that building. Go figure.

A Sprint store rep is supposed to call me back today on another question today -- I will ask him about the data only situation on a Treo -- worst case -- do they have any pay by the minute voice plans that you would sign up for and not use to go with the data plan?

Cheers, Perry.
    Can you get those Sprint data plans without having a voice plan? I believe that was the original question. I'm pretty sure Cingular & Verizon allow data plans w/o voice plans but they're around $40-$50.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hey Tritan!

The only dead spot I have found thus far is Beltline Bar (a Mexican Restaurant for the rest of the TC world). For some reason, I am always roaming on the Verizon network when I am in that building. Go figure.

A Sprint store rep is supposed to call me back today on another question today -- I will ask him about the data only situation on a Treo -- worst case -- do they have any pay by the minute voice plans that you would sign up for and not use to go with the data plan?

Cheers, Perry.
    Any word on a phone without a voice plan. I am going to head out today and see what verizon and sprint tell me. I am leaning toward sprint due to the cheaper data plan . We will see. Nice snowfall last night!
    Tritan