Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    From what I've read from Palmsource, Cobalt 6.1 only supports GSM/GPRS.

http://palmsource.com/palmos/cobalt.html

Enhanced Telephony

GPRS support, GPRS API
    Multiple PDP context support
    SAT support
    Standard GSM 07.10 MUX
    Improved Call Management
    Interruptible HotSyncŪ feature
    "No Backup Battery" Support
    Automatic Database Backup & Restore
    Handles battery removal and low power
    Everybody says Cobalt will never be released. But the homepage seems to still get updated.

Is there a surprise coming up maybe in the next months, with Treo 700p ?
    Yeah, that the whole point of why Cobalt failed...lack of drivers support which makes writing the HAL even more difficult.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $though$, $Cobalt$ $should$ $support$ $1xEvDo$, $but$ $supposedly$ $did$ $not$ $have$ $UMTS$. $But$ $thing$ $may$ $have$ $changed$....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    That looks like a nice clean program as compared to another one I won't mention.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I originally researched Cobalt so as to contribute to a thread titled ' Treo 700p will use Cobalt', however, I've been unable to find that thread. Did I imagine it?
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    1. The picture of the Cobalt preferences looks cool! What resolution is the screen? Rumor has it that it might be the 480x480 700p!!!

2. Look at the memory requirements. Makes you wonder whether the 700p will have 32MB of memory or the 128MB of RAM!!!!

Phone configuration ("No Backup Battery")
    32MB SDRAM + 32MB NAND Flash
    PDA configuration* 32MB SDRAM + 16MB NOR ROM
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Is there anymore screen shots of cobalt?
    I don't see A2DP in their bluetooth profiles...
    So all of a sudden we're all thinking that the 700p is going to run Cobalt? I thought consensus was against that. It would be great, but...
    I don't expect it but the guy that leaked the first running pics of the verizon 700w on engadget said there was a palm version running cobalt.

take it for what it's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard
    I originally researched Cobalt so as to contribute to a thread titled ' Treo 700p will use Cobalt', however, I've been unable to find that thread. Did I imagine it?

Yeah, I'm the one who started that thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97095

But I don't think this so anymore b/c Palm Linus will not be binary compatible with Cobalt. Overall, it probably would be easier for Palm to port the 1xEvO stack to Garnet then to deal with future Cobalt/PL incompatibility issues, who knows...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    They should just graft the Cobalt UI on top of Linux. It looks great and a lot cleaner than WM5 or Garnet.

Not sure if they are thinking of doing that, but it would be a good idea. I'd be ecstatic if they went with a completely vector interface. Native PDF viewing would be huge.

here are some more screenshots I found online. Looks familiar but cleaner. Hope we can customize the interface a bit. Would rather have the menu bar on top.

http://www.palmzone.net/modules.php?...rticle&sid=193

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6542
    Why would a Linux kernel be so hard? What am I missing? The Sharp Zaurus ran Linux. I believe there are 3.5G radio drivers for Linux. Even if Palm defaulted to a "full screen" PACE so it looked like Garnet was running, this doesn't sound too hard. The CPU in the 650/700 is as fast as the Zaurus and the device has more memory so hardware isn't the constraint. Drop Linux in with PACE/Garnet and you get multi-tasking (under Linux) and full Palm-compatibility. I used to do something similar running OS/2 and Win3.1 on my desktop. OS/2 gave me all the stability,etc. and Win3.1 gave me the apps. Anyone have a reason why they couldn't do this today?
    shadowmite has a post in his forum on how evdo support has NOTHING to do with the OS.
    Cobalt does not exist.
    thanks for the great contribution whatever...keep it up
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    thanks for the great contribution whatever...keep it up
    Whatever7 has a point. Until Cobalt is on a device that we can buy, it might as well not exist. If it does exist in any functional form, what good is it doing us sitting in a lab somewhere?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I understand the point...but we all know that.

here's a point...human's need oxygen.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I understand the point...but we all know that.

here's a point...human's need oxygen.
    Gee, imagine that! Who would've thought that?

In any case, I'm not trying to debate it with you. I understand the frustration that we all have concerning Palm OS. It's unfortunate that PalmSource wasn't able to get the support they needed to get Cobalt off the ground (from a drivers standpoint).

I'm hopeful that Cobalt (or whatever flavor of OS they come up with) will eventually get a foothold....if for nothing more than to keep the market competative and innovative. I don't want my entire world dominated by Microsoft.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    agreed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast