Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I've already given up on Palm. Unless they come up with a miracle in Japan, I'm unfortunately just going to eat all my software. I do have a good amount of software in Smartphone that I haven't used in a year or two and maybe that is upgradeable.

It's too bad. Between the two I really liked the Palm but now it's an unreliable nuisance. Blame the greedy folks at Palm who went for the money grab and left crap in their place. I just see things declining from here... If I need a new phone, I'm going to use my old 600 until I get a WM phone that I like... I'm sad it's come to this...
    What carrier are you on? T-Mobile will be out with the K-Jam(they call it MDA) and the SP5m(SDA). Cingular now has the 2125 and is supposed to get the 8125(another K-Jam model).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm not sure if this is new or not because I just found it, but PalmSource has a Cobalt 6.1 simulator available for download in their developer download section. I just got it and the interface is at least pretty nice. Like someone else said before, it's familiar but improved.

You can get it here, but you need to register first: https://www.developerpavilion.com/pa...=365&tool_id=8
    Actually Cobalt DOES exist, but it's unfinished, and it has little to do with whatever type of phone you have. It's core is a PDA not a Smartphone. That's just an overlay, more or less. Each carrier could work it to make it do whatever, as they did with PalmOS's current iterations. Then again, I'd hope Access will retire Cobalt and work on something new that will not be 4 years (or more?) old by the time it's released. The front end can still be simple and fast like we like, no matter what kernel they decide on.

To that end, I REALLY hope they make the next Palm Treo a 750, not a 700. Converting the 700 to run PalmOS would be too much like the hardware in the 650 (it is already) to attract that many buyers, and would create OS confusion, and likely a lot of disappointed or confused customers, and marketing suicide for Palm. They were smart to call the Windows version the 700, and not the Apple-ish 650SE (slightly enhanced) :P Heck they could keep the '50's Palm, and the '00's Windows for all I care.
    the idea of putting linu
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    the idea of putting linux on palms is more then ju
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    the idea of putting linux on palms is more then just making it look like Colbat... they are a
    The ones I love..

Twittering about
    havin a rough time bigred?
    here's a tidbit

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01...a_java_palmos/

"The Palm OS is now in the hands of Japanese browser company browser Access, so there's a possibility mobile browsing on Palm will improve. Then again, Access is on a fixed licence fee retainer for the next three years, whether its licensees use the Palm OS or not, which doesn't exactly give it an incentive.

What Palm fans really want to see is some indication that Palm OS 6 Cobalt - now being built on Linux underpinnings - will see the light of day. But that's anyone's guess."
    Here is another guess to chew on since it seems that I started the Cobalt talk some here in the past weeks:

You will not notice Cobalt visually so much from the 650 except for the appearance of that contiunal refining. There may be a tray area, such as on the HVGA PalmOS devices, because that is something supported by the OS. Dialogue boxes and what have you might b colored the same, but have better fonts and truer to resolution textures. Operatations for simple tasks and familiar tasks would be better, but many applicatoins (those running on PACE as they would not be fully ARM) would run herky jerky. OS stability would be fine until system extensions come into play (Volume Manger, Butler, etc.) but nothing short of lack of DBCache would take down the system entirely.

Everything under the skin has to be differnet though. Drivers have to be written from scratch, and knowing Palm, they WILL hook into PalmLinux (get a Linux dev and have them work with Cobalt as is to make the migration easier later) for the same drivers. Radio stacks are NOT a part of the OS and most of that will need to be handled by Palm now, hopefully by Access later (building on Palm's work if the coding is good). Battery life will not be well iniitally because of the system overhead and need for more memory allocated that what will be given (look at the 700w, spec sheet for Cobalt currently, then do math).

Ironically, a ton of us will buy it because it will be truely new OS, but same old functionality. New clothes and a workout for the same character person if you will. The more they would change, the more they would stay the same. Only real benefit I know of is that many devs have Cobalt apps ready to go if it makes entry to market. For them, that would be a nice upgrade fee and short term cash rush.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12