Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    WebViewer has been my all time favorite browser for years. I've had it even before I had a Treo I use to have it on my old Sanyo 4900.
    Well, it looks like they just got aquired by Google. I've read that Google plans on using Reqwireless technology to develop new mobile applications. I'm not sure this is good news for all us registered Webviewer users, because I also read Google may or may not support the previous Reqwireless products. So I guess we got to use it while it lasts.

http://www.commentwire.com/article_n...9-A6DCD5251D5A

http://www.techfinance.ca/m-topnews+...-20060106.html
    Last edited by migs; 01/17/2006 at 11:19 PM.
    Interesting...this could be the beginnings of a new google mobile browser. They already have java app for google local thus integrating a java based browser with this would make sense...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I hope where grandfathered into something, I would hate to lose webviewer. Who knows, maybe with google support it will become even better.
    One great thing about Google is their commitment to bringing solid web apps to the general public, most (nearly all?) free. I think this will likely be a good thing for you - and hopefully for everyone!
    When Google took over Dejanews (online usenet newsgroups) a few years ago, they kept the free Deja e-mail service for six or eight months, then just ended the service. I sure hope they keep Webviewer running. Is there any legal recourse for registered users who paid for the service?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    they probably won't end it, just won't issue anymore updates for it
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    When Google took over Dejanews (online usenet newsgroups) a few years ago, they kept the free Deja e-mail service for six or eight months, then just ended the service.
    Yeah, but they kept the free newsgroup service. It makes sense that they would have killed the email service considering that they launched their own. It will be interesting to see what they do with ReqWireless, though it's a Java app with a not-so-Palm-friendly UI, so I'm not holding my breath for a Treo-optimized Google browser.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Is it me or has webviewer gotten faster in the last day?
    Is there still a way to get WebViewer? I downloaded the trial a long time ago and was impressed with the speed but not the UI. I just looked at their site again and I don't see any way to download/buy it.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Webviewer is no longer available for new purchases unfortunately. I can only assume Google is going to take webviewer and create their own google mobile web browser out of it (like Opera Mini.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Is there still a way to get WebViewer? I downloaded the trial a long time ago and was impressed with the speed but not the UI. I just looked at their site again and I don't see any way to download/buy it.

Well if you do get your hands on it and put the font on LARGE, it improves the UI drastically.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Is it me or has webviewer gotten faster in the last day?
    It's you, mine is working as fast as it did before. This browser is way ahead of its time, even the newly released Opera Mini Java browser is no match for Webviewer!
    Quote Originally Posted by migs
    It's you, mine is working as fast as it did before. This browser is way ahead of its time, even the newly released Opera Mini Java browser is no match for Webviewer!
    I disagree, I also think it has gotten faster lately.

For a while webviewer got painfully slow. About 4-6 moths ago (I guess) it got so bad (slow) I quit using it. Lately however it has been quite snappy. Perhaps it has something to do with google owning and operating it, or perhaps they've just lost so many old users that there is just less load on their servers.

I totally agree it was way ahead of it's time. I initially got it for my old cel phone and later for my Treo 600 and 650. It's still one of the best browsers over all. I really hope Google does something good with it. It's a bit of a gem.
    Well I see the first problem since Google took over, you cant get into a yahoo mail box anymore. That sucks.