1.    #1  
    HI everyone - new poster but I've been following some of your threads for a while (I feel like a radio caller "long time first time - thanks for taking my call"). I have a Treo 600 with Verizon and have been syncing it with a PowerBook, but I'm looking to upgrade. I don't know if the 650 is the best option, and it looks like the 700W is out since it runs on Windows. My question is - are there other smartphones out there I need to look at? I know there are lots of other options, but I'm interested in why you chose what you chose? I'm a fairly heavy phone user, and not so dependent on third party software but do use email and texting quite a bit. My only requirement for a phone is that it be a good phone and have a QWERTY keyboard - okay, so two requirements.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    650 will be cheap and has a better screen and is a more "known" quantity as far as issues and solutions.

700W will cost more and have EV-DO, WM5, 1.3 megapixel camera and is new and is a lesser "known" quantity for issues and solutions.

Staying with Verizon? Sprint has better data rates and will have both of these options in 3 to 6 months.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks - will the 700W sync with Apple? I assumed that it would not since it does not show Mac OS X in the specifications. Verizon is of the devil in my opinion, but they offer the best coverage in my area (southwest VA).
    Here ya on the coverage issue. Sprint has good coverage in Grand Rapids, MI.

Not a wiz on Apple connections but there is a Treo-Mac sub forum here. . . . .what does the Missing Sync product do?

One post from that forum, not too promising:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=104063
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/16/2006 at 05:32 PM.
    Since you are posting in a "treo-dominant" community, you're going to mostly get the 650 or wait for the next great treo as an answer. Your requirements aren't very hard to meet so you do have tons of options available to you. In my opinion, the treo 600 and 650 are good PDAs, but terrible phones. I know these issues have solutions (the "buzz" fix on the 600 and VolumeCare on the 650), but these are smartPHONES and should have been a good phone out of the box. My wife's RAZR gets way better reception than my treo and it can also hold onto weak signals much better and the call clarity is better.

Anyway, my advice to you is to check out the other online communities for each of the devices you are looking at to check out the details of each one. A QWERTY Keyboard and a good phone can be found on a lot of smartphones. Another piece of advice would be to wait just a couple more months. There are a lot of smartphones and treo look-alikes on the horizon. Your options will increase and you'll have to do more research, but you'll probably get a more suitable smartphone for your needs. Chances are there will probably be some problem with the phone on the next treo too.

I am in the same boat as you. I still use a 600 and still don't find the 650 very appealing. I usually don't wait for the next-best thing, but I like what I see coming up in the way of smartphones so in this case I am. Good Luck to you!
    Same boat - 600 user who will probably skip the 650. My carrier contract will be up in late July, so I'll be jumping on a subsidized 700p or whatever it ends up being called.

I'm a believer too, Perry!
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I also will upgrade to a 700p after it is out for at least 6mos and most bugs are worked out, check out markspace for missing sync works very well had it on a Clie and mac still use MS on my treo
    I'm in the same boat with a Treo 600. Skipped the 650 because it wasn't a big step for the extra $s at the time.
    Am considering other models but love the Treo form factor. The 700w is a good fit because it has better screen, easy access to files & pics on device from PC and still has Treo form factor.
    others I would consider include SE P990 which when you remove the flip has Treo form factor. ie builtin thumbboard. None of the other WM5 devices have the right form factor. the small ones don't even have a hard number keypad and the ones with a thumboard are too big and/or use slider which makes it even bigger.
    probably hang out a few more months hopefully for 700p and hope 600 doesn't fail in the meantime.

cheers
    vikingbrad
    VikingBrad, that SE P990 has a LOT of features! Holy...

If I could afford it, I'd consider it too. With all that it has (WIFI, FM radio, 2MP cam w/photolight, dual mode radio, etc.), I can't even imagine how much that thing's gonna cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    VikingBrad, that SE P990 has a LOT of features! Holy...

If I could afford it, I'd consider it too. With all that it has (WIFI, FM radio, 2MP cam w/photolight, dual mode radio, etc.), I can't even imagine how much that thing's gonna cost.
    Probably priced not much more than the SE 910i that it is going to replace. There are also rumours of a SE p970 which doesn't have the flip and has an interesting thumboard layout see

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/...sson_p970_.php

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    And if you need another one to look at how about the Motorola Q
    Windows Mobile Smartphone 5, so no touchscreen but RAZR style with keyboard.

http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...0,,113,00.html

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Yes, I need plenty to look at, keep 'em comin'!

I do like the "thinness" of the Motorola Q. There's definitely lots of good competition on the horizon.

Thanks for the info!
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Yes, I need plenty to look at, keep 'em comin'!

I do like the "thinness" of the Motorola Q. There's definitely lots of good competition on the horizon.

Thanks for the info!
    Also, for things Treo, there's the model codenamed Hollywood. That looks to be designed to compete with the Moto Q, Nokia's E61, and (of course) the Blackberry, especially the newer 8700-style ones.

It may not be quite as thin as the Moto Q (what with the touchscreen); we won't know until the official specs are out. It's definitely, from all reports, discernably thinner than previous Treo models.

Although I haven't seen anything yet to indicate it, one other possible feature for Hollywood might be a landscape (rather than square) screen, whether 240x320 for WinMob or 320x480 for Palm OS. The jury's still out on which OS(es) Hollywood will run. Obviously, though, it would be hard to run both OSes on a rectangular screen with those differences in proportion (as opposed to the 700w's 240x240 vs. a 320x320 700p). Because Motorola has been going for the "pancake" effect with several of their recent phones--very thin and a little wider and longer than competitors' designs (i.e. the V3 (Razr)/V3c/V3i, the SLVR, and now the Q), that gives them more surface area for a bigger screen. On the Q, I would estimate the screen will be the same size as the HTC Magician screen. If Palm is designing Hollywood to compete with the Q (which may be due to the European carrier that has had so much input on it), I would expect them to do so too.
    Now that you mention it, I think I'm actually fine with a thicker phone, as long as it means more functionality (radios, MP-level cam, etc.).

In any case, I'm glad there will be so many more options a year from now.