1.    #1  
    I've been reading a lot about Palm roadmap for 2005 and 2006, and it seems like there are two theories.
    1. There was a huge demand for a Windows Mobile Treo: I think this is what Ed Colligan would say if he was asked this question and I believe it is true. I know a lot of people that wanted to get a Treo with a Windows Mobile OS.

2. Palm wanted to make a 3G Treo (EVDO) and Garnet didn't support it: Recently Palm CFO stated that Palm didn't have EVDO developed for Garnet and they wanted to make a 3G Treo for this year. Now, that changes everything we've been told. Also, he states that the implementation of a next-generation radio technology is on their road map for this year. What the heck? Is this guy losing it? Or somebody is making this up?
    Highlight from Palm, Inc CFO Presentation

I believe the answer to weather we will be seeing a EVDO Treo 700p this year is behind this question. If the main reason why Palm created a WM Treo 700w is because WM had the 3G technology already developed and making it for Garnet was going to take them more than a year or two then I think Palm is making their way out of the Palm OS.

I hope Palm starts giving us some light at the end of the tunnel or at least anybody that knows something could show us if there is going to be a EVDO Palm OS Treo so we can stop this madness.

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 01/14/2006 at 04:05 AM.
    I think the main reason was to crack into the corporate world. Corporate IT people do not like Palm devices. They operate by the adage that "No one got fired for buying Microsoft".
    A sales rep I see very often got his Treo 600 after seeing mine. He hasn't upgraded to the 650 yet because his corporate IT won't support it. He will probably get the 700w when it is released for Sprint.
    Zane
    Palm fell a sleep at the wheel and then missed the boat, they had no choice but to sign up with Windows if they wanted to stay competive in the game.

While they were out celebrating there accomplishments the competition sneaked up behind them.... So if you can't beat them,......Join them.
    Really I dont think there ever was an economic rationale for NOT utilizing another OS for the treo.

Everyone knows how great the treo form factor is and by adding another OS option, it only strengthens Palm. (Palmsource on the other hand must be under a LOT of pressure to get the next OS out the door especially with EVDO support.)

IMO Palm didn't have a choice. WM devices seem to do quite well and Palm wanted to tap into that marketshare. It benefits everyone (assuming development for the POS continues.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Treolo

2. Palm wanted to make a 3G Treo (EVDO) and Garnet didn't support it: Recently Palm CFO stated that Palm didn't have EVDO developed for Garnet and they wanted to make a 3G Treo for this year. Now, that changes everything we've been told. Also, he states that the implementation of a next-generation radio technology is on their road map for this year. What the heck? Is this guy losing it? Or somebody is making this up?

Yeah, I started a thread regarding thsi topic a while ago:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=97095

However what I was referring to was 1xEvDo support while the PalmDubai article is referring to UMTS support. I do not know if it is known which 3G standard has the better palmos developmental support. Hoever I personally no longer think Palm will release a Cobalt Treo b/c of reasons I explained here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=372

I think it is still possible for Palm to release a 1xEvDo Treo if it somehow back-ports the 1xEvDo stack from Cobalt onto Garnet. Perhaps the UMTS support is more distant though with a 3G gsm Treo 700 not appearling until late 2006...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    This is supposed to be one of the reasons that Palmsource is trying to jump to Linux. Not for the user-experience, but so other people can write the hardware drivers.

I have my doubts, I'd like to surf the web more, and I'm seriously considering switching from my 650 now to either the 700w or the vx-6700....
    If Palm could break off just a little piece of Blackberry's sales to the corporate sector they'd have something profitable. And a foot in the door for future expansion of corporate-aimed devices. Who wouldn't want to sell to corporatins? They but gadgets 50 at a time, or more! The consumer sector is jammed with competition. Look at all the choices in smart phones now out there. But the corporate side has less options, and Palm wanted to get in now before everyone else, who eventually will, of course. But jumping in now gives them some positioning
    Palm OS isn't dead yet........

A Windows device just puts more $$$ in the bank, and more R&D for everybody at Palm. If it takes a year for the next generation Palm OS Palm device, I'm willing to wait. Everybody seems to be in such a hurry here......
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtUglyJeff
    Palm OS isn't dead yet........
    If it takes a year for the next generation Palm OS Palm device, I'm willing to wait. Everybody seems to be in such a hurry here......
    I'm with you. (Waiting patiently also saves you $ in the end.)
    I have to go home now...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I'm waiting at least a year... time for the 750P to come out
    I guess use didn't see the part where Palm's OS doesn't support EVDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo

I believe the answer to weather we will be seeing a EVDO Treo 700p this year is behind this question. If the main reason why Palm created a WM Treo 700w is because WM had the 3G technology already developed and making it for Garnet was going to take them more than a year or two then I think Palm is making their way out of the Palm OS.
    I thought this was understood more than a year ago. I can't believe you guys are still hanging on. Andy Brown of Palm Inc. even says that their push into new technologies (oh brother, Palm pushing technology?) will be with their new phone codenamed Hjollywood WHICH, by the way, is Windows Mobile only.

PS: I registered anew by capitalizing my user name and it let me log in. Then my original banned name showed up. Guess I'm no longer banned.
    eh, don't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    If Palm could break off just a little piece of Blackberry's sales to the corporate sector they'd have something profitable. And a foot in the door for future expansion of corporate-aimed devices. Who wouldn't want to sell to corporatins? They but gadgets 50 at a time, or more! The consumer sector is jammed with competition. Look at all the choices in smart phones now out there. But the corporate side has less options, and Palm wanted to get in now before everyone else, who eventually will, of course. But jumping in now gives them some positioning

Exactly! Well put.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    As I recall from the latest Palm webnair, last year RIM was selling ~approx 800,000+ units per quarter and Palm was selling ~400,000 treo per quarter...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions