Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay people! I need help! I assumed I could hold out for a new PALM OS Treo because I'm in backwater florida, on an island, where there was NO WAY EVDO would l;aunch anytime soon. Therefore, I had no need for it just now, and could be content to wait.
    Crap.
    EVDO's on now. There's no Treo to support it.
    I don't want Windows, but God those speeds are starting to look good!
    Not to mention that I could actually leave the phone on my hip and use my BT headset without interference! I've tested! See? SEE!?! I'm "TESTING" Windows phones! Somebody tell me to stop! Quick! Somebody assure me there's a new POS Treo on the horizon with Sprint!
    ARGH!!!!!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Avoid the Dark Side. There will be other Treos. Just a question of when....
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Well Doom,

It all comes down to personal preference and usage. TEM, Hobbes, Shadowmite and others like the 6700 and all it does. If you like the form factor of it and are not "vested" in Palm software. Why not?

Yes, this is truly Perry. I like the Treo 650 and (I assume) 700P form factor, and have too much software and "how too" knowledge built up with Palm, so my choice is to wait. Besides the 700W screen leaves me cold and the form factor of the 6700 is not my cup of tea.

I know this didn't help -- but truly -- I recommend that people get what works for them -- there is no dark side -- only consumer choice and freedom!

I know I said I was done with 700P threads, but, Doom -- there will be a 700P, hang in there bud.

Cheers, Perry.
    Microsoft ensures consumer choice and freedom is very limited. The day when Palm released a phone running a Microsoft OS was thought to be as likely as Microsoft crushing the OSS movement.

Wait for the 700p (or variant) to enjoy EVDO and various other features. My 650 works great and with Linux on the 650 in the very near future I'm not going to jump in bed with the corporate monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Well Doom,

It all comes down to personal preference and usage. TEM, Hobbes, Shadowmite and others like the 6700 and all it does. If you like the form factor of it and are not "vested" in Palm software. Why not?

Yes, this is truly Perry. I like the Treo 650 and (I assume) 700P form factor, and have too much software and "how too" knowledge built up with Palm, so my choice is to wait. Besides the 700W screen leaves me cold and the form factor of the 6700 is not my cup of tea.

I know this didn't help -- but truly -- I recommend that people get what works for them -- there is no dark side -- only consumer choice and freedom!

I know I said I was done with 700P threads, but, Doom -- there will be a 700P, hang in there bud.

Cheers, Perry.
    Had a nice Siesta did we Perry? Well I'm glad you're back to the 700p threads. I was concerned we were going to loose the momemtum.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 01/14/2006 at 10:19 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Well Doom,

Cheers, Perry.
    If only we were all so honest and open minded. Good points Perry. I really miss keyboard input, but the Cingular 2125 has been a great cell phone with PIM and multi-media thrown in. If you can EV-DO (not available out here in the drylands), go for it DOOM. My bet is you'd get a solid 6 months use out of a 6700 before Palm's temptations woud even start (and I STILL don't think we'll have a 700P).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    This is your squirrel talking...

Do it Doom! You'll feel better about yourself. Women will want you. Men will drool for you. Your Johnson shall grow another 4 inches. It'll be "Bliss." Go! Go now...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    Have a nice Siesta did we Perry? Well I'm glad you're back to the 700p threads. I was concerned we were going to loose the momemtum.
    Good Luck
    Short lived as it was. . . . . . I couldn't let DrDoom's post go by. I shall re-enter the fray! Two hours of sleep last night must have momentarily weakened my ability to deal with repetitive redundancy.

I BELIEVE !!

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/11/2006 at 05:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    If only we were all so honest and open minded. Good points Perry. I really miss keyboard input, but the Cingular 2125 has been a great cell phone with PIM and multi-media thrown in. If you can EV-DO (not available out here in the drylands), go for it DOOM. My bet is you'd get a solid 6 months use out of a 6700 before Palm's temptations woud even start (and I STILL don't think we'll have a 700P).
    Did I miss Insertion on my PPC list? Sorry, Rob!

Anyway, thanks Dstrauss, but this is what it is all about. There is no one "PERFECT" device. There are just those devices that most closely fit their users definition of perfect. As I said before, my best hope was for MS and Palm to continue trying to "one up" each other to the benefit of consumer choice. I still think this is possible. I believe Palm was made stronger by being able to break into the corporate environment. It will be a delicate balance, but I believe we can still have two OSs competing for usability and ease of operation. (Palm/Linux and WM)

Cheers, Perry.
    Did I miss Insertion on my PPC list? Sorry, Rob!
    Don't worry 'bout it. They all have phone editions. I just have a collection of CE/PPC/WM PDA's.

(My 3 year old Toshiba 755 w/WiFi is still plugging along everyday for me )
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Submit Doom. (Remember you can always go back ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

It is always harder going back from the Dark Side than going to it!!!!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Wait for the 700p (or variant) to enjoy EVDO and various other features. My 650 works great and with Linux on the 650 in the very near future I'm not going to jump in bed with the corporate monster.
    I think this is a disaster waiting to happen. Palm waited too damn long to release Linux. With so many WM devices by the time that bit of vaporware comes out, I'm not holding my breath to see developers wanting to develop for it. How many developers want to convert their code to Palm Linux? Don't know... I'm going to enjoy what I've got for as long as it will run for me and then probably switch to a much cooler WM device in a year or two.
    The wait for the 700p will be worth it, I just posted this in another thread.
    I haven't drooled at a Windows Mobile device, sure they can do more, but more isn't always better. Just think of how sluggish they are performance wise. A friend of mine has the Treo 700w and EV-DO is the only thing I am jealous of. He even said upgrading from the 650 to the 700w wasn't a real upgrade, the best part is EV-DO. He has to reset a few times a day, gets the hourglass/spinning wheel when there are too many applications opened. He kind of regrets the upgrade, I tried to warn him,lol. Sometimes keeping it simple is the best thing to do. The Treo 650 is near perfect, the 700p with more memory and EV-DO it will be even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I think this is a disaster waiting to happen. Palm waited too damn long to release Linux. With so many WM devices by the time that bit of vaporware comes out, I'm not holding my breath to see developers wanting to develop for it. How many developers want to convert their code to Palm Linux? Don't know... I'm going to enjoy what I've got for as long as it will run for me and then probably switch to a much cooler WM device in a year or two.
    Shadowmite and Grack are already have the Linux kernel booting on the Treo 650, so that "vaporware" is here faster than you think; I wasn't talking about the 'official' snails-pace version from Palm.

As far as porting PalmOS applications, many will be rendered useless by a full-blown Linux/OPIE/qT installation. Those that are still useful (such as Fuellog, to me) can and will be easily executed via a PalmOS emulator.

Not sure what PalmOS Linux is, Linux is Linux, only the distribution differs.

Things like WIFI and BlueTooth 1.2 (if hardware supports BT 1.2) will be a reality when running Linux since it's an OS limitation, not hardware.

http://www.grack.com/programming/misc/TreoLinux.html
    http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.c...atus.text_html
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    Shadowmite and Grack are already have the Linux kernel booting on the Treo 650, so that "vaporware" is here faster than you think; I wasn't talking about the 'official' snails-pace version from Palm.

As far as porting PalmOS applications, many will be rendered useless by a full-blown Linux/OPIE/qT installation. Those that are still useful (such as Fuellog, to me) can and will be easily executed via a PalmOS emulator.

Not sure what PalmOS Linux is, Linux is Linux, only the distribution differs.

Things like WIFI and BlueTooth 1.2 (if hardware supports BT 1.2) will be a reality when running Linux since it's an OS limitation, not hardware.

http://www.grack.com/programming/misc/TreoLinux.html
    http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.c...atus.text_html
    Thanks for the post and information.

As of the way it stands right now, it's still vaporware. Having the Kernel boot is useless without the rest, even though it is a large step in the right direction. But how many more months will it be until we see an official version released, which is the only way we'll really see development? How long will it take developers even after that?

Regarding WiFi and BT, etc. it's more than just OS. It's also a need to create drivers that work. It's not so simple. I'm still not sure how much of a benefit of Palm Linux is if the distribution is proprietary.

And in the time that Palm finagles with releasing Linux (I'm guessing can't be earlier than June or July at best), Windows Media devices will be sold like hotcakes, with numerous other applications developed by third parties and vendors.

I think way too little too late if we're talking after Q2....
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Okay people! I need help! I assumed I could hold out for a new PALM OS Treo because I'm in backwater florida, on an island, where there was NO WAY EVDO would l;aunch anytime soon. Therefore, I had no need for it just now, and could be content to wait.
    Crap.
    EVDO's on now. There's no Treo to support it.
    I don't want Windows, but God those speeds are starting to look good!
    Not to mention that I could actually leave the phone on my hip and use my BT headset without interference! I've tested! See? SEE!?! I'm "TESTING" Windows phones! Somebody tell me to stop! Quick! Somebody assure me there's a new POS Treo on the horizon with Sprint!
    ARGH!!!!!
    Do you mean the 6700? Well if you really like it, keep it. Then sell it when the new Palm OS Treo comes out, or use as a back-up.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Don't do it!

Eleven Cobalt smartphones are going to be released before the end of 2005. Be patient.
    Patrick Horne
    2005?
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    It is always harder going back from the Dark Side than going to it!!!!
    Doom; beware the power of the dark side. (I know, as a recent "trapee")
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast