Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    If the glee of new ownership outweighs the price and pain of change. . . . .

However the screen resolution on the 700W takes it out of play. Even a 700P with EV-DO would be a non-choice for me if it had a 240x240 screen. I waited out the 600 for a better screen . . . . . just not going backwards on that.

Cheers, Perry.
    Amen. Amen. Amen.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I guess you would have to be an owner to see if any glee comes out of it. Give a test drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I guess you would have to be an owner to see if any glee comes out of it. Give a test drive.
    How 'bout "potential for glee quotient" of a new device?

I actually took the Treo 600 for a two week test spin before returning it. I REALLY wanted to go to one device, but I could not handle going from my Tungsten T3's 320x480 screen to the 600's 160x160, so I waited a year for the 650.

Well, if it turns out that a 700P is sans EV-DO or is coming in December (2006, not 2005) -- I just might wander into my Sprint Store and fondle the 700W for awhile . . . .

Cheers, Perry.

EDIT: Just realized something fairly funny. I am the reverse of those IT departments that forced Palm into offering a WM5 Treo. My home is a "Palm House" with 3.5 people running PalmOS devices and I am the "IT Manager" who doesn't want to deal with a 'second' operating system!

(The .5 is my wife, my former T3 just resides in the bottom of her purse for extra weight in case she needs to knock somebody out with a swing of the purse. The two daughters are on Zire 71s, however, the youngest is lusting after my 650, should I buy a 700P. The eldest considers the 650 too geeky.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/16/2006 at 04:33 PM.
    Well Perry you were right about the screen, it's going to be really hard to downgrade to that what I percieve to be a DIM screen. At least the one in the Verizon store was dim. I actually put the 650 and 700w side by side and the 650 screen made it look even dimmer.

You were also correct about the learning curve thing, it's a animal of a different breed. It was very busy like, you had a lot of stuff going on there. It is much more complex then the user friendly Palm OS.

The EVDO although fast was just a couple of hairs ahead of Webviewer and this was in a Verizon store. Also I thought the soft keys was overkill there is enough going on there that I didn't need more.

Also petty but anyway it doesn't highlight the text you want to select it puts a box around it. petty, but a little strain on a already dim screen.

There was some pros ...Multitasking, WMP, bigger keys, responsive.

I think they made a BIG mistake with the Screen, it was one of the things that made the 650 so great IMO. It's like going from plasma to a picture tube.

So it's going to be hard to go over to the 700w. but we will see.
    Hey Doom! You have been very quiet about this. . . . . . . still with us? Hang in there bud.

Cheers, Perry.
    That's right, Doom. It'll be just a little while longer....at least I hope!
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hey Doom! You have been very quiet about this. . . . . . . still with us? Hang in there bud.

Cheers, Perry.

I'm still here. Unfortunately, I made the transition to a 6700...and back to my 650 after one day. What a piece of crap.
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    I'm still here. Unfortunately, I made the transition to a 6700...and back to my 650 after one day. What a piece of crap.
    What say you?!?! I can't believe you, you of all people! Was this like one of those things, you know, like in college, when you and your best bud get drunk and the next thing you know, you both wake up spooning naked together??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Well, sorry about that. The search for the perfect device has it's twists and turns. What's that saying? You have to kiss alot of frogs before you find your true princess!

But I am all for people finding the device that works best for them. Sorry, It didn't work for you. Well, hang in there. It appears the 700P is growing ever closer. And if it has EV-DO, 64mb or greater memory. that 1.3 megapixel camera (that has the same lower light capability as the 650's) and an SD slot that can go to above 2GB cards -- I will just be tickled pink!

WiFi card drivers and/or internal GPS would make it just awesome.

Cheers, Perry.
    Well, here is one person's experience with the 700.

I've gone from a Kyo 7135, Treo 600 and Treo 650 to the 700W. I got the 700w yesterday afternoon, played with it until 4 am, and hung out with it this afternoon. Sadly, I just had VZW disconnect it and reconnect my 650. It goes back to the store tomorrow. I'm going to wait for a more mature Windows Mobile or the 700p.

What I liked:

EV-DO. For the first time, I could actually surf the Internet on my Treo. Of course, surfing the Internet on a PDA screen is not the best experience.

Multi-Tasking: It was great to be able to leave the browser to check something in my contacts and go back without having to start over reloading the page.

Windows Mobile: It was actually better than I expected. Once I started to get used to it, it started to make sense. Sure, there were a few more taps needed for some things, but you could do a lot more.

Camera: Much better. But it still doesn't come close to any halfway decent digital camera.

What I didn't like:

E-mail: I don't use MS Exchange and all I wanted to do was get mail from two pop 3 accounts (one Comcast). I didn't want to synchronize with my desktop Outlook. On the 700, it took me a long time to set it up and for some reason it took forever to connect to Comcast. (This is apparently a known issue.) I tried Wireless Sync and couldn't deal with the fact that it checked mail only every 15 minutes. It made e-mail exchanges impossible. On top of that, Outlook on the 700 would only allow you to download pop e-mail one account at a time. All tings considered, it didn't come close to the ease of Snappermail for me.

Memory Issue: I was fine for a while, but by the end of the day, the thing would start slowing down. I would close apps (not hard to do), but it was annoying and I hadn't yet loaded any third-party apps. Also, if it started to wirelessly sync while I was doing something else, it would slow down and then just freeze. Annoying.

What I didn't mind: The screen. Yes, it's a step down from the 650, but the difference wasn't as much as I thought it would be. It was fine for me.

Bottom line: I felt like I had a date wtih someone who had a lot of talent, but was just a little too quirky and neurotic. It was interesting, but I'm happy I'm back with my 650. Of course, when the 700p comes along (if ever) or if WM starts focusing on us non-MS Exchange users, I will again move on.

Disclaimer: I've used Palms since the Palm Pro, but I have no hostility towards Microsoft. I actually like Windows XP and thought Windows Mobile had a lot to offer. This was a personal decision based on my needs.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    What say you?!?! I can't believe you, you of all people! Was this like one of those things, you know, like in college, when you and your best bud get drunk and the next thing you know, you both wake up spooning naked together??
    Who told you about that, you ****ing sick ******* monkey?????
    It'll be fun.
  12.    #52  
    ...that doesn't happen to Marines. Only the Army does that.
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble
    Well, here is one person's experience with the 700.

I've gone from a Kyo 7135, Treo 600 and Treo 650 to the 700W. I got the 700w yesterday afternoon, played with it until 4 am, and hung out with it this afternoon. Sadly, I just had VZW disconnect it and reconnect my 650. It goes back to the store tomorrow. I'm going to wait for a more mature Windows Mobile or the 700p.

What I liked:

EV-DO. For the first time, I could actually surf the Internet on my Treo. Of course, surfing the Internet on a PDA screen is not the best experience.

Multi-Tasking: It was great to be able to leave the browser to check something in my contacts and go back without having to start over reloading the page.

Windows Mobile: It was actually better than I expected. Once I started to get used to it, it started to make sense. Sure, there were a few more taps needed for some things, but you could do a lot more.

Camera: Much better. But it still doesn't come close to any halfway decent digital camera.

What I didn't like:

E-mail: I don't use MS Exchange and all I wanted to do was get mail from two pop 3 accounts (one Comcast). I didn't want to synchronize with my desktop Outlook. On the 700, it took me a long time to set it up and for some reason it took forever to connect to Comcast. (This is apparently a known issue.) I tried Wireless Sync and couldn't deal with the fact that it checked mail only every 15 minutes. It made e-mail exchanges impossible. On top of that, Outlook on the 700 would only allow you to download pop e-mail one account at a time. All tings considered, it didn't come close to the ease of Snappermail for me.

Memory Issue: I was fine for a while, but by the end of the day, the thing would start slowing down. I would close apps (not hard to do), but it was annoying and I hadn't yet loaded any third-party apps. Also, if it started to wirelessly sync while I was doing something else, it would slow down and then just freeze. Annoying.

What I didn't mind: The screen. Yes, it's a step down from the 650, but the difference wasn't as much as I thought it would be. It was fine for me.

Bottom line: I felt like I had a date wtih someone who had a lot of talent, but was just a little too quirky and neurotic. It was interesting, but I'm happy I'm back with my 650. Of course, when the 700p comes along (if ever) or if WM starts focusing on us non-MS Exchange users, I will again move on.

Disclaimer: I've used Palms since the Palm Pro, but I have no hostility towards Microsoft. I actually like Windows XP and thought Windows Mobile had a lot to offer. This was a personal decision based on my needs.

Your logic makes no sense to me. You are using a third party POS program to get the email setup the way you like. Have you investigated third party WM5 email apps? You switched over to a new platform and only gave it 1 day? How long did it take for you to get your 650 setup the way you like?

Lucan
  14.    #54  
    Ok, its alright. Shadow saw it. Its out there. The 700p exists. I'm good.

'cept for that damn monkey's sexual innuendo.

Grrrrr...
    It'll be fun.
    ...that doesn't happen to Marines. Only the Army does that.
    You're still pissed off cuz I was on top.

Rangers Lead the Way!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  16.    #56  
    You're still pissed off cuz I was on top.

Rangers Lead the Way!
    It'll be fun.
    Kids, Kids, Kids.

Each of you: 5 minutes in time out chairs. (Across the room from each other!)

sick
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123