1.    #1  
    Just an observation, by why is it that I have not heard any BUZZ about the upcoming Palm Treo releases from the CES in Vegas. I would have expected some leaks and fashion show style glitz on the upcoming technology. Sure the 700W is out...great but what about the 700P and the Hollywood. I would have thought that Palm would have wanted to put a mental place holder in everyone who is or is soon to be in the market for something new.

Skigs
    Palm...Always disappointing.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I'm sure Palm would have looked really impressive sitting next to the other devices with twice the RAM and built in WiFi...
  4. FjT
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I would say there is no buzz about the new PalmOS Treo is because there is not going to be one.
    Lets face it, Palm Inc. is moving on. The Treo has been out, what, 18 months now and there has been no update to it. Palm's history has been incremental updates to their handhelds. For example: 505-515; Tungsten T, T2, T3; E, E2; etc. But the Treo has stagnated for this long without even a memory upgrade. Im not saying its not a great handheld but I doubt there is going to be another PalmOS based Treo. My assumption at this point is that they will continue the Treo line using Microsoft but the regular handhelds will still be PalmOS.
    Even if they do release a new PalmOS Treo, I bet it would only be to appease the large fan base but it will be lacking in new features except memory, and with the release they will announce and end to the PalmOS based smartphone.
    Yeah...I'm beginning to think the Palm OS is getting to the end of the road. I think one of the 3 new yet-to-be-released treos will have POS. Most likely a 700p for Sprint that won't have much more than EVDO added to it. I'm afraid to say it but the rumored "hollywood" may have WM to get a foot-hold in the European market. The affordable model (lowrider?) will probably be similar in features to the T600 but running WM. But, of course, these are all guesses. Let's face it - Microsoft has their foot in the door at Palm so it's not going to stop with the 700W - there's going to be plenty more WM devices from Palm. Palm has to release some specs on their new devices to keep people interested. I'm already fed up with reading rumors on these posts and trying to guess myself what the next model will be. I've pretty much committed to jumping ship and going to Symbian with the SE p990 when it's released. Sure I'll miss the form factor of the Treo, but with the way Palm works, I can't possibly see them having an incredible, feature-rich device surprising us this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattysalz
    I've pretty much committed to jumping ship and going to Symbian with the SE p990 when it's released. Sure I'll miss the form factor of the Treo, but with the way Palm works, I can't possibly see them having an incredible, feature-rich device surprising us this year.
    Ya, but Symbian?
    shadowmite has had a Treo 700p in his hands. Do a search-much has been posted about this. He's been a reliable source in the past.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  8. FjT
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    shadowmite has had a Treo 700p in his hands. Do a search-much has been posted about this. He's been a reliable source in the past.
    Good Luck
    Please post the link where he says that he had one in his hands.
    Let's keep in mind just because Shadowmite had a 700P in his hand doesn't mean it's going to be released. Many phones get scraped at the last minute and with this lack of INFO ..well it looks bleak.
    Quote Originally Posted by FjT
    Please post the link where he says that he had one in his hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    The 700p's I have seen are 5.4.7... Sorry... Looks like it's just a radio and memory upgrade to the 650. As the 650 was a minimal upgrade to the 600. Small steps.

I feel confident 1 of the other treo's they will annouce this year will be a 750 or whatnot with yet more small upgrades.
    Here's one...
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Just to add a little fuel to the fire,I was talking to the Sprint rep who takes care of my companys accounts today. I was trying to get some billing issues addressed. I asked about the EVDO status in my area, central Illinois. He said it was supposed to have been done by the end of last year, but was moved back to july or august. I also asked when the new Treo was going to be available to replace my 600. He said the Treo 700 was only available through Verizon, and talked about the PPC 6600 and how well it worked with EVDO. I told him I was aware the 700 was only available through Verizon, but had heard that a new Palm OS phone was coming out soon. He said he had heard nothing about it. The Sprint rep has been great at dealing with any problems my company has had with our plans or phones. He may not be in the loop about all new phones ,but still........
    Quote Originally Posted by waltndi
    Just to add a little fuel to the fire,I was talking to the Sprint rep who takes care of my companys accounts today. I was trying to get some billing issues addressed. I asked about the EVDO status in my area, central Illinois. He said it was supposed to have been done by the end of last year, but was moved back to july or august. I also asked when the new Treo was going to be available to replace my 600. He said the Treo 700 was only available through Verizon, and talked about the PPC 6600 and how well it worked with EVDO. I told him I was aware the 700 was only available through Verizon, but had heard that a new Palm OS phone was coming out soon. He said he had heard nothing about it. The Sprint rep has been great at dealing with any problems my company has had with our plans or phones. He may not be in the loop about all new phones ,but still........
    ...bear in mind that this guy who's been "so helpful" told you to buy a phone that doesn't work with EVDO (at least not officially) because of how great it worked with EVDO.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Phattysalz, I am with ya. I saw what symbian os can And I BELIEVE. P.O Palm
    Sprint has always had an interesting take on the Windows devices it sells. First they charge more per month for Vision service with Windows over Palm(I know this is often overlooked by the CSRs but technically they do) and then they disable the EVDO on the 6600 apparantly so that people will pay more for the 6700. It seems like someone at Sprint ASSUMES that the windows devices would be huge drains on the network; that someone so "high-powered" as to get the windows phone will be the one doing all the browsing and downloading and they want them to pay extra for it one way or the other. Meanwhile me with my 650 and P-Tunes streaming me radio probably download as much as anybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs
    Just an observation, by why is it that I have not heard any BUZZ about the upcoming Palm Treo releases from the CES in Vegas. I would have expected some leaks and fashion show style glitz on the upcoming technology. Sure the 700W is out...great but what about the 700P and the Hollywood. I would have thought that Palm would have wanted to put a mental place holder in everyone who is or is soon to be in the market for something new.

Skigs

Palm wanted the buzz to focus on the 700w right now. That's their new product and that's where they wanted all the focus and media attention on, not some yet-unreleased and still concealed device.

Anyway, Palm already stated that they are planning on releasing 3 additional treos other than the 700w this year and Ed Colligan has repatedly stated that they are continuing to develop palmos products for the future...so all this worrying about that lack of "Treo 700p" news at CES is silly imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Concerning the PPC-6600, here is a post about a coversation I had today:

I know that some of you will balk.....but I have just confirmed the story that Colonel shared. I just talked with a nationally high ranking contact at Sprint Corp. Since I am publicly posting this, I do not want to disclose the source, but in 2 1/2 years of our relationship his inside information has been spot on 100% of the time without exception. I know that some of you know who exactly (or at least his title) I am talking about as we have PM personally....if you do, you may confirm my post, but please do not share any additional info about the contact.

He confirmed that yes Sprint did plan on releasing the update earlier but has had challenges with the update. He did not go into detail of the challenges as we had limited time and I needed other information as well. He did also confirm that it will be released next month in Feb. I said that I talked with several level 2 & 3 tech support managers and they all give a different story on the update ranging from it will never happen and never was going to happen to it is coming soon. He confirmed that he is on the inside and among the ones personally involved with this process and it will be coming.

I didn't ask that specifically if any other upgrades (i.e. WM10 would be included in this upgrade), but he did say it was going to be "a Flash update" to enable the EVDO radio....from which I ASSUMED was going to be a radio update only, but no confirmation either way.

He also said that Sprint, even though they could not publicly state it, did intend to enable the EVDO radio all along and that is the reason they had HTC keep the EVDO radio in the phone when they originally released it prior to the EVDO network roll out.

Take if for what it is worth. He was dead on when I reported his early information on Sprints EVDO roll out. He was dead on about the 6600 confirmation and it's release and it's time frame. He was dead on confirming the reality of 6700 when it was in question and dead on with the release date. Just to name a few.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...bear in mind that this guy who's been "so helpful" told you to buy a phone that doesn't work with EVDO (at least not officially) because of how great it worked with EVDO.
    Double D........ Chill a little .I see from another thread that the appearence of EVDO in your area has stressed you a little regarding your options. All will work out Ok. BTW the phone my Sprint rep was recomending was the PPC 6700not the 6600 my typo. So at least that part of his credibility is intact. I for one will wait for the Treo P