1.    #1  
    This from Engadget...
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/09/l...rendering-lcd/
    The article is a little confusing, but after reading the link to Akihabara, my take is that LG has a real VGA resolution LCD screen that is 2.4", and it uses sub-pixel rendering to increase the effective resolution to 1440x960 (not just to make text sharper, like ClearType). Not sure though.

Engadget also says that they're looking to get this in a product within 5 months. One of the commenters speculates about Palm adopting this. Is it true that LG is currently a Palm supplier?

It would be interesting to see a new Treo form factor from Palm that incorporated this screen... At the very least, I think it's clear that a 480x480 screen is technically feasible within the current Treo form factor this year.
    doesnt' it say they won't be mass producing them for a year or so? Is it touch screen compatible?
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    This from Engadget...
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/09/l...rendering-lcd/
    The article is a little confusing, but after reading the link to Akihabara, my take is that LG has a real VGA resolution LCD screen that is 2.4", and it uses sub-pixel rendering to increase the effective resolution to 1440x960 (not just to make text sharper, like ClearType). Not sure though.

Engadget also says that they're looking to get this in a product within 5 months. One of the commenters speculates about Palm adopting this. Is it true that LG is currently a Palm supplier?

It would be interesting to see a new Treo form factor from Palm that incorporated this screen... At the very least, I think it's clear that a 480x480 screen is technically feasible within the current Treo form factor this year.

This is just more proof that the Treo is soon to be released! Just like...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=103098

Expect the new treo to have "crisp" 159 x 159 (just to be inferior to the 600).
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wballz33
    doesnt' it say they won't be mass producing them for a year or so? Is it touch screen compatible?
    I see no reference to a one-year time frame in the Engadget or Akihabara articles. The Korean article says something about 5 months, which Engadget picked up on. And my limited understanding of touchscreens is that they are separate overlays on top of lcd screens.
    I can see this one in the new line of WM5 smartphones with a touch screen (HTC Blizzard, which reportedly has a 2.4" screen in a Tornado/Faraday size phone). I know it's way small, but for quick entry of data, writing on screen is still a better solution than a full time, full size, keyboard.

Bring it on.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    You're telling me that technology commercialized in 1998 is just now being used for LCD screens?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar
    You're telling me that technology commercialized in 1998 is just now being used for LCD screens?
    No.