Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1.    #1  
    This from Engadget...
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/09/l...rendering-lcd/
    The article is a little confusing, but after reading the link to Akihabara, my take is that LG has a real VGA resolution LCD screen that is 2.4", and it uses sub-pixel rendering to increase the effective resolution to 1440x960 (not just to make text sharper, like ClearType). Not sure though.

    Engadget also says that they're looking to get this in a product within 5 months. One of the commenters speculates about Palm adopting this. Is it true that LG is currently a Palm supplier?

    It would be interesting to see a new Treo form factor from Palm that incorporated this screen... At the very least, I think it's clear that a 480x480 screen is technically feasible within the current Treo form factor this year.
  2. #2  
    doesnt' it say they won't be mass producing them for a year or so? Is it touch screen compatible?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    This from Engadget...
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/09/l...rendering-lcd/
    The article is a little confusing, but after reading the link to Akihabara, my take is that LG has a real VGA resolution LCD screen that is 2.4", and it uses sub-pixel rendering to increase the effective resolution to 1440x960 (not just to make text sharper, like ClearType). Not sure though.

    Engadget also says that they're looking to get this in a product within 5 months. One of the commenters speculates about Palm adopting this. Is it true that LG is currently a Palm supplier?

    It would be interesting to see a new Treo form factor from Palm that incorporated this screen... At the very least, I think it's clear that a 480x480 screen is technically feasible within the current Treo form factor this year.

    This is just more proof that the Treo is soon to be released! Just like...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=103098

    Expect the new treo to have "crisp" 159 x 159 (just to be inferior to the 600).
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wballz33
    doesnt' it say they won't be mass producing them for a year or so? Is it touch screen compatible?
    I see no reference to a one-year time frame in the Engadget or Akihabara articles. The Korean article says something about 5 months, which Engadget picked up on. And my limited understanding of touchscreens is that they are separate overlays on top of lcd screens.
  5. #5  
    I can see this one in the new line of WM5 smartphones with a touch screen (HTC Blizzard, which reportedly has a 2.4" screen in a Tornado/Faraday size phone). I know it's way small, but for quick entry of data, writing on screen is still a better solution than a full time, full size, keyboard.

    Bring it on.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  6. #6  
    You're telling me that technology commercialized in 1998 is just now being used for LCD screens?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar
    You're telling me that technology commercialized in 1998 is just now being used for LCD screens?
    No.

Posting Permissions