Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dear Palm Executive,

I have been a Palm user since the very beginning, starting with a Pilot and, about once a year, stepping my way up through the Palm models as they were released. But after a year's hassle with the Treo 650 I am seriously considering jumping ship and, when it launches, trying the new Sony Ericsson P990i.

I always believed that I should only have to carry one device for all my communication, reminder and entertainment requirements. I played with the SE P900 a couple of years ago but decided at that time to stay with a separate Palm / mobile phone. When the Treo 650 was announced I thought that this would answer my desire to have an integrated PDA / phone.

And, to be fair, the Treo 650 has come very close to being the perfect mobile device.

If only it was not so buggy!

For the first few months of 2005, I suffered the freezing problem about twice a week, sometimes more. Then the 1.28 / 1.13-ROW upgrade solved most of those problems. But I still get crashes and freezes. Just last Saturday I was uncontactable for 3 hours because, unbeknown to me, the Treo 650 had frozen. People were frantically trying to contact me with some important information. During a year with the Treo 650, I have spent countless hours trying to solve problems such as corrupt contact databases, HotSync crashes and unexplained media display errors. I have had several resets that wiped out all my preferences and registration numbers.

I am afraid that I can not live with such unreliability and poor quality.

So, I am officially putting Palm on notice: you have until the launch of the P990i to get your act together and come up with the firmware solution to these problems. If not, you may well be losing a very loyal and very long term Palm customer.

Regards
    Peter
    http://www.peterwalker.com
    Why didn't we think of this sooner? Brilliant!
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-BKK
    So, I am officially putting Palm on notice: you have until the launch of the P990i to get your act together and come up with the firmware solution to these problems. If not, you may well be losing a very loyal and very long term Palm customer.

Regards
    Peter
    Oooo....I'm sure this is the straw that breaks the camels back. You are my hero...I love you. Marry me now. I wish to fornicate.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Try the new phone anyway just to see if it's any better for your needs. When's it coming out and what carrier? Or are you getting an unlocked one?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I didn't know this was the mailbox for palm executives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-BKK
    Last year when others complained you were complimenting Palm One on a job well done, and basking in the glory of your Treo 650

Or what about when you were feeling so good about the 650 that you thought the 650 "was the best integrated phone / PDA" you ever used?

You were still going strong when a poll was taken.

Even on 01/05/06 you said that you had "10 trouble free months" until a corrupt database caused some problems that you then quickly fixed.

Now you say you cannot deal with such "unreliability". For 10 months you say it is ok and that it is the perfect tool. 4 days ago you seem mildly annoyed at the inconvenience. Today, you give Palm an ultimatum. Maybe living on the edge is a little much. You said in one of your posts that some people look at the glass as half full, and others as half empty. You seemed to have switched from a half full guy to a half empty. That is fine! No problems... But I don't think you have to become the reincarnation of Tundycentral and start sending threats to Palm.

Try out that new phone and if it does it for you, great! If not, remember some of the good advice you gave others on this forum last year.

Have a great day!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Why is it some people have countless problems with there 650 and some have minimal problems?

Why do some people reduntently complain about the memory and others accept the device for what it is. Case in point was a guy at work saw my 650 as he was playing with his blackberry and SAID " O that phone has memory problems" ??? I said it does, it memorizes everything I put on it, it never forgets, it's got a great memory.
    Do you mean it doesn't have a 80 GB of memory capacity, what phone similar in size has ? What are you comparing this with?

It's a tiny handheld, not a ****ing laptop!
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Why do some people reduntently complain about the memory and others accept the device for what it is.

I agree, and my point is that up until today BKK has been one of the people on this forum who has accepted the device for what it was. I am wondering why he suddenly went so far to the other extreme that he felt it necessary to write a "letter" to Palm.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

BTW, Viking....Nice Hat!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

The most annoying problem I ever had was when my phone wouldn't turn on. I would have to do a soft reset. I guess during that time I could not take calls. Not sure. I didn't get many calls. Now, my T650 works great. Hopefully they will come out with a good ROW update soon.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Why is it some people have countless problems with there 650 and some have minimal problems?!
    If everyone took the n00b approach, I think there would be a lot less problems. Unfortunately, it seems that many of those that had problems did one or more of the following:

1. Ordered their phone before it was shipping, then downloaded umpteen programs that they had ready and waiting before the FedEx man arrived.
    2. Didn't bother with Uninstall manager as 1st program
    3. Installed all these programs within 45 minutes of receiving the Treo.
    4. Better yet, transferred all their stuff from a 600 instead of doing clean installs.
    5. Installed non OS5 compatable programs.
    6. Downloaded and ran trial periods of several software titles that did the same thing at the same time.

The manual lays out an approach for the n00b with tackling various functions 1st day, 1st week, 1st two weeks, 1st month. While an experienced user may not quite need the whole time period to familiarize oneself, it sure does help pinpoint when a problem arises in week 3 that wasn't there in week 2. Just use uninstall manager to pull out what was added in last week and start narrowing it down.

I experiemented with various launchers for example but did them sequentially not one at a time, finally deciding that I liked what palm offered the best. With bigger programs like Chattermail and Agendus as well as others that import competitor's file formats you are just asking for trouble when you have two competitors on the thing at the same time.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I didn't know this was the mailbox for palm executives.
    I thought that the point of an "open letter" is that you post it in places where the intended recipient might see it but also in a public place that enables one's viewpoint to be widely seen. I assume that Palm are smart enough to have someone monitor TreoCentral. I have also posted it in Palm's own forum.

Regards
    Peter
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Last year when others complained you were complimenting Palm One on a job well done, and basking in the glory of your Treo. Now you say you cannot deal with such "unreliability". For 10 months you say it is ok and that it is the perfect tool. 4 days ago you seem mildly annoyed at the inconvenience. Today, you give Palm an ultimatum. Maybe living on the edge is a little much. You said in one of your posts that some people look at the glass as half full, and others as half empty. You seemed to have switched from a half full guy to a half empty. That is fine! No problems... But I don't think you have to become the reincarnation of Tundycentral and start sending threats to Palm.
    Have a great day!
    Mr Otter Emperor,

You have really done your homework, carefully analyzing my threads over the last year. The one flaw in your analysis is that you have assumed that the threads I posted on this forum represent an entirety of my opinion on the Treo 650. As I chose not to voice all my concerns and frustrations in this forum, your analysis misses the increasing annoyance with Palm's lack of response to the problems that many Treo 650 users are experiencing.

As you rightly point out, my viewpoint has recently changed from the more positive viewpoint that I expressed over the earlier 10 months that I have owned the Treo 650.

Without getting into an analysis of my personality, generally I am a tolerant person and am prepared to overlook some problems if the overall experience is good. As you remind me, I prefer to be a "glass half full" person. But, I also hit a turning point when, enough is enough, and I go looking for something better.

Believe me, I have been a strong proponent of the Treo 650, persuading many of my friends and colleagues to buy one. Some of those people have since abandoned the Treo.

I expect that, when a computer product has bugs, the company that created that product should be working on fixing those bugs. In the case of the Treo 650, I was prepared to live with the freeze and crash problems, assuming that, sooner or later, a patch would be released to remove these problems. But as time has passed and we have not heard anything from Palm about patches and updates since the partial 1.13 fix, my patience starts to run thin.

And, I don't subscribe to the "blame it on third party apps" argument. Since the beginning, third party apps have been one of the major strengths of the Palm products. The few third party apps that I use are from reliable
    Palm software vendors. All of these apps have been specifically updated for the Treo 650. All of them work reliably on other Palm handhelds.

One of the people that I talked into buying the Treo 650 has not installed any third-party app, and her Treo freezes and crashes too. Feeling somewhat responsible for her purchase, I have been telling her, "don't worry, we'll see another patch from Palm soon". Well, in my opinion, "soon" has come and gone.

It might be that the Treo 650's problems are not fixable with a firmware patch. They may be a design flaw in the chips. In which case, Palm should build and release the Treo 6xx, with the problems solved. I would buy one!

I am mainly annoyed by the fact that I have a unreliable, buggy PDA/phone and there seems to no solution in the pipeline, other than jump to another company's product. I don't want to jump ship. I want Palm to provide me with a reliable, mainly bug-free PDA/Phone, based on Palm OS and capable of running a few reputable 3rd party apps. I am prepared to pay more money to achieve that goal.

I actually don't see my post as Palm bashing. I think that they need to know what some of their long term, loyal customers are feeling. Maybe that might be the incentive to get their act together and figure out a solution to our problems.

Regards
    Peter
    Peter, you are a wise man !!!

Somehow, many people here are quite prepared and accepting in fiddling with this darn 650 and buying extra software to make it work sufficiently. Then, these companies have version after version after version after version.

HELL, I personally am a professional with a full time job and merely want the device to work like it was proposed to, and further advertised to do. IT DOES NOT. It is a complete piece of trash with the FINEST SCREEN available.
    ~* Peace
    If your that unhappy with the phone, I would personally just move onto another phone.
    Respectfully. That phone cost me $400 hard earned money and a 2 year contract. Trust me, I'm counting the days. Let's not fail to mention the extra $150 software that I have bought merely to try and correct the issues at hand and make some basic functions work.

The screen is gorgeous though !
    ~* Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin
    Peter, you are a wise man !!!

Somehow, many people here are quite prepared and accepting in fiddling with this darn 650 and buying extra software to make it work sufficiently. Then, these companies have version after version after version after version.

HELL, I personally am a professional with a full time job and merely want the device to work like it was proposed to, and further advertised to do. IT DOES NOT. It is a complete piece of trash with the FINEST SCREEN available.
    Well I don't know if you bought one or not, but if you did....why? Why didn't you wait until the reviews were in, until you could see if you were about to trash. Nice waste of money. Do you own a Kia?

Peter, is a "wise man" now. But what was he for the last 10-11 months? Its nice that he is fed up, that his own personal wall has been breached. I don't see how that makes him wise.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Respectfully. That phone cost me $400 hard earned money and a 2 year contract. Trust me, I'm counting the days. Let's not fail to mention the extra $150 software that I have bought merely to try and correct the issues at hand and make some basic functions work.

$550 of trash? I have a couple of worthwhile charities for you to invest in instead.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Sell the Treo, and use the money to get a different phone. If I ever think a phone is a piece of trash, I will not force myself to use it. I have dumped a few phones myself.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    TC could really help on this issue by providing a download area for applications that have been well tested and deemed bug free. Call it "Download Central" if you like and make it well organized. I see this area as moderater controlled so the user does not have to read through tons of threads to get to the POINT. If problems are reported in other threads, pull the download link (leave a brief note) until the issue is addressed/fixed. Then completely re-write that section and post as a consice corrected link. A consice "Solutions Central" area would also be helpful.

For example, over a week ago, I used Dir Assist 3.2.2 ( an application most of us love) to enter a friend's base info. I then went to contacts to manually add his mobile # by entering his First and Last initials and the phone immediarely reset. Tried a couple more times and it kept resetting. I could access other contacts with no problems, but not the new entry. How do you delete a contact if you can't access it? This would also make the "Find function crash as it searched through contacts.. Even hot sync caused my 650 to go into a reset loop each time. Twenty hours on the PC later, I am finally at ground zero WITHOUT my 9 years of 2000+ contacts and 400+ memos. The Palm site was not helpful. I talked to Palm and they tried hard to help, but I could not get an email summary of what exactly to do. Something like Export and re-Import contacts to correct the corrupted file. I tried some things, but no success. If the Palm OS sees a corrupted record, it should not crash. It should ask if you want to delete the record so you could start over. Things like blue screens and cherry bombs are not appreciated.

Searching TC for help on issues like the above takes forever and I still don't have a good solution. My address database is corrupted and I am running under a new user name. I am thinking of using an older Palm to sync and then beam contacts, etc... across.

Does anyone else want to see a more consice and reliable way to access programs and help?
    FastFrank
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast