1.    #1  
    Hi. I just got my treo last week. Borwsing through the forum discusions, I've picked up a lot of ideas for my treo. I want to make the most out of my treo without spending a lot. Question is, What do I do first?
    Welcome! and enjoy the little critter.

This thread is a good starting point, it is a list of threads that will be very useful to you:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=82079

I will start with my favorite thread, if you are going to use Documents to Go, you can save yourself 4mb of internal memory with this tool from DataViz:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

Get a 2GB SD card on sale somewhere. You will use the storage, especially, if you get Pocket Tunes or use Real Player and turn on the "iPod" function of your new toy.

A backup progam is a good idea, as well.

Browse the software section of TC -- will give you an idea of what you can do with the Treo 650.

I have Quicken on my home PC -- I have had Pocket Quicken on my Palm devices for 4 years now.

Chees, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/06/2006 at 11:55 AM.
    Welcome....first step should be to read the manual. second step...learn to use the search features of this site. Most, if not all, of your questions have definitely been asked and answered in the past...searching for those answers is faster than posting repeat questions, it also helps keep people from flaming you!

Good luck and enjoy your Treo!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Welcome....first step should be to read the manual. second step...learn to use the search features of this site. Most, if not all, of your questions have definitely been asked and answered in the past...searching for those answers is faster than posting repeat questions, it also helps keep people from flaming you!

I agree about the manual (IMPORTANT) and the search feature, but many new people don't know what to search for. Best thing is to just start reading the posts in each forum. Go to pages 2 and beyond and you will learn a lot.
  5.    #5  
    thanks guys. I did a lot of searching and discovered a lot. WHen I got the phone, it came with Voice command software (trial) by VOice Signal. When it expired I was about to buy it when I stumbled on VSuite 2.0. This lets you not only dial and launch programs but lets you dictate text messages. Unfortunately it is not compatible yet with our treo. I called the developer and they said the program should be ready next month. Do you know of a similar program? Also, Costco has Street and Trips 2006 on sale for $ 15 after rebates. It comes with a pocket pc install. Can I install this in th treo?
    Hi Tom !

VSuite sounds like a great tool. Hopefully, they will follow through. Hey, call them back and tell them you will beta test it. . . . you might get it for free that way.

Unless the Streets and Trips 2006 box says compatible with the Palm OS, my guess is that it will NOT be usable on the Treo.

Cheers, Perry.
  7.    #7  
    good idea. I think the street... is compatible with Palm OS but I read in one site that it doesn't work with the treo. This is a good software for people (like me) who is broke and can't buy a gps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo

Dido!
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Dido!
    Like, the singer?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Like, the singer?
    DiĚdo (dd)
    n. Roman Mythology
    The founder and queen of Carthage, who fell in love with Aeneas and killed herself when he abandoned her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    diĚdo (dd)
    n. pl. diĚdos or diĚdoes
    A mischievous prank or antic; a caper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I thought it meant to concur
    Just call me Berd.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi Tom !

VSuite sounds like a great tool. Hopefully, they will follow through. Hey, call them back and tell them you will beta test it. . . . you might get it for free that way.

Unless the Streets and Trips 2006 box says compatible with the Palm OS, my guess is that it will NOT be usable on the Treo.

Cheers, Perry.
    They acted really quick. They sent the beta file for the program. I'll test it this weekend and post my findings.
  12.    #12  
    Dido!
    here's Dido's official website
    http://www.dido.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Q
    Also, Costco has Street and Trips 2006 on sale for $ 15 after rebates. It comes with a pocket pc install. Can I install this in th treo?
    pStreets has never worked on the Palm OS. It is a PPC/WM port of Streets & Trips. Unless you have the 700w, (and I don't even know if it is compatible with that yet) you won't be able to use this.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Dido!
    ditĚto
    n. pl. ditĚtos

1. The same as stated above or before.
    2. A duplicate; a copy.
    3. A pair of small marks (") used to indicated that the word, phrase, or figure given above is to be repeated.

adv.

As before.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    ditĚto
    n. pl. ditĚtos

1. The same as stated above or before.
    2. A duplicate; a copy.
    3. A pair of small marks (") used to indicated that the word, phrase, or figure given above is to be repeated.

adv.

As before.

Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Ok, Ditto To The Dido
    Just call me Berd.
    An email I recieved from VoiceSignal when I inquired about VoiceDial...

Actually, the Voice Dial application on the Treo650 is a version of VSuite2.0. (The number 1.1.0.1 is the software build number.)

Some of the other VSuite 2.0 features (such as lookup, open, send email etc), which are described on the web site will be implemented in the next VoiceDial upgrade for the Treo650 phones (in a couple of months)

You might also volunteer to test the unofficial version (beta version).
    People that use it are pretty happy with it.

Best regards,

I did infact volunteer and i will keep you posted after I recieve the product (unless that violates the Beta testing code or something)
    <-Jumping ship on the Palm Pre and getting the HTC EVO...So far that's the 650, 800w, the Pro, Pre and soon the HTC EVO...
    I will start with my favorite thread, if you are going to use Documents to Go, you can save yourself 4mb of internal memory with this tool from DataViz:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240

Chees, Perry.[/QUOTE]

This is perry's pride and joy. When the 700p comes out im sure he'll start the new thread of the updated for the OS verison contained within the 700p.
    In have posted lengthy answers to this very question at least 2 or 3 times in the last 2 or 3 days. As this device has been out going on 18 months, there are a whole lot of threads answering this question...check the stickies first and then the last 3 or 4 days of traffic....after that topics specific searches will work well.