1.    #1  
    With the release of of the Treo 700w, i really wish that Cingular would put something similar out. I rate the treo's as 50% phone 50% pda... and thats what im looking for.. I love the way the today screen looks and how the skins look.. I am not a huge windows fan at all (all i use, but i really love macintosh its just $$$$).. So its either go to Verizon, and lose the advantage of a sim (which i dont need i dont travel over seas). I also hate verizons data/text plans as no one i know has verizon so there IN minutes/text messaging doesnt apply. the data for 44$ is understandable as its faster then cingulars, just its so much!!!! I hate cingular!!!!
    Ok, you hate verizon data/text plans and you hate cingular and have no use for SIM card since you don't travel. Does that mean you would go for Sprint? (sorry, can't help but ask).

GSM users will have to wait for theirs (and so with Sprint). Let the bugs be resolved first.
    Verizon has an exclusive on the devices. 6-9 months? Just wait.
    GSM users have a long long wait.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  5.    #5  
    i actually like cingular... just they take so long ot release phojnes and get new ones in. Also they dont have enough variety for text/data. 2.99 for 200 messages, or 10.00 for 1000? i only need 500!!! I am going to run to the vws corp store to look at the 700w and see if i like it or not. and i wouild never go to sprint.
    I would never go Sprint either, I am Cingular and if my $20 unlimited plan goes away, I might be tempted to go Verizon 700p. I like Cingular for cusomter service, I think since the T-Mobile/ATT tower selling/leasing/changing that my coverage is not what it used to be. I used to have only one dead spot in my area, now there seems to be several.
    I dislike anything Verizon! Just hearing the name brings me bad memories of enormous home telephone bills.
  8. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    GSM users have a long long wait.
    Depends... if you consider summer or thereabouts a long wait, then maybe so. I'm hoping Hollywood will be available by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    Depends... if you consider summer or thereabouts a long wait, then maybe so. I'm hoping Hollywood will be available by then.
    february is a long wait, so imagine how I feel about summer.

and remember on of these 4 new phones is for a gsm carrier in europe and might not make it to the US. what if this phone is hollywood?
    Felipe
    My 650 works the same today as it did two days ago, the release of the 700w doesnt really matter much. I love cingular and do leave the country on occasion so I wont go to Verizon or Sprint. My 650 should continue to work beautifuly until I get a chance to evaluate a GSM version of the 700p or 700w.

<off topic>And mademan118 if youre really worried about the cost of a Mac consider the total cost of ownership (TCO), my nearly 6 year old DP 1GHz G4 will run todays software perfectly. $5000/6 years = value. You wont get that out of most windows based systems.</off topic>
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    My 650 works the same today as it did two days ago, the release of the 700w doesnt really matter much. I love cingular and do leave the country on occasion so I wont go to Verizon or Sprint. My 650 should continue to work beautifuly until I get a chance to evaluate a GSM version of the 700p or 700w.

<off topic>And mademan118 if youre really worried about the cost of a Mac consider the total cost of ownership (TCO), my nearly 6 year old DP 1GHz G4 will run todays software perfectly. $5000/6 years = value. You wont get that out of most windows based systems.</off topic>

oh i know about mac.. i have a an old imac G3 that i really like. But i dont see how i can afford a powerbook G4 with my school. I go to a private school so tuition is 35,000 dollars a year. And a Powerbook is 3grand!

As far as buying a 650 or a 700, i have been debating. I probably will wait because i like cingulars service and having a sim card (even though i dont go overseas). I like the fact that i can buy any phone i want and use my sim. Whats this hollywood they speak of? i have seen some pictures of tings with no attenna.. is that it?
  12. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    and remember on of these 4 new phones is for a gsm carrier in europe and might not make it to the US. what if this phone is hollywood?
    True. I'm hoping for two things: 1) that Hollywood is fully world-band GSM/UMTS (i.e. quad-band GSM + UMTS frequencies for both here and there!) and 2) that it is picked up by Cingular (if T-Mo didn't go for the 650, why go for Hollywood if they haven't announced UMTS yet stateside?). This, obviously, depends on what's driving Palm's component calculations. If Hollywood is Europe-only, it might make sense to use a less-expensive cell radio. On the other hand, Palm might want to maintain their trend of "one GSM radio worldwide" that they've had for the 600 and 650. Simpler overall for Palm, something for the carriers to tout, and a benefit for many users. Until either someone has more info than we've seen yet or Palm is ready to announce more on these other 3 phones, we just don't know.

As long as it works here on US UMTS/HSDPA frequencies and runs Palm OS rather than WinMob, I'm getting one. I'll bet too that it will have more memory. 128 Mb would be nice; at least 64, though. (And hopefully they'll do another upgrade program including the unlocked version at a discounted price!)

As for whether or not Cingular will pick it up, Cingular's had good sales on the 650. While most of the reviews say that the 650 is the better choice for Palm users over the 700w, Cingular will want to offer something new, especially to leverage their UMTS network, which is live now in 16 cities and expanding. Right now, all they have out are laptop cards.

My question is this: if Hollywood is smaller and sleeker, does that mean the 700p will have some other compelling feature beyond an updated radio and more memory? If not, why would anyone pick the 700p over Hollywood on the same network?
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mademan118
    Whats this hollywood they speak of? i have seen some pictures of tings with no attenna.. is that it?
    According to the rumors, yes (and so many of us hope). Brighthand's article announcing 3 new Treos (beyond the 700w) said it'd be coming to Verizon or Sprint; I wonder about that since that would mean a different radio and possibly shorter battery life than GSM. On the 650, the GSM version gets better battery life than the CDMA one because GSM antennas are more efficient.

Also, that gets into the question of what is and isn't a different phone. The 600 and 650 were each considered the same model whether GSM or CDMA. Going back a little further, though, the 270 and 300 were only slightly different and yet were different models.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    My question is this: if Hollywood is smaller and sleeker, does that mean the 700p will have some other compelling feature beyond an updated radio and more memory? If not, why would anyone pick the 700p over Hollywood on the same network?
    the p might be only cdma?

my fear about hollywood (or the one made for the eoropean carrier), is that it will be locked down.

not locked as in locked to a specific carrier, but locked in that you wont be able to install any other apps. that this carrier would want to control it so much that it wouldnt be a "palm."
    Felipe
  15. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    That was my thinking... (the p possibly being CDMA-only)... of course, if we do see a Europe-only device, Cingular would probably pick up a p with a GSM radio... I agree that it wouldn't be locked to a carrier--that's almost entirely a US thing. With European phones, the question is what US frequencies it'll support. (900 + 1800 GSM + 2100 UMTS for Europe looks certain. Will it have both 850 and 1900 GSM for the US, and UMTS support on those?)

And I'd be shocked if the user couldn't load any apps. Europe has plenty of other smartphones on various OSes. Why limit this one? Palm will go to a certain point to customize it for the carrier, yes; still, if the user couldn't load apps (for whichever OS), it'd be hard to call it a Treo. Huge PRPRPR $backlash$ $if$ $it$ $couldn$'$t$.

And even the Blackberry has some apps (though they don't get much buzz). It's corporate IT departments that lock loading apps (on a Blackberry, Treo, whatever) more than the carriers.

The radio (i.e. how many US frequencies supported) is the big question, IMO. The OS is #2 and how much memory #3.
  16. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Another interesting thought: if Hollywood (like the Moto Q) has a 320x240 landscape display for WinMob or 320x480 landscape for Palm OS... if not for Hollywood, perhaps a future Treo.
    I was all revved up to get a 700w, ditch my beloved T-Mobile service, and go back to Verizon. A buddy at work got the VZ Treo 700w and we compared my 650 to it in side-by-side fashion. I talked about it in this thread and the upshot is I'm no longer infatuated with it. EVDO is killer, but everything else is meh.

In addition, the SIM card is something I absolutely love. Traveling and having a local phone # to avoid roaming charges is huge. I also like the ability to try another phone for a day if I want. Just pop in my SIM and I'm up and running.