Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://palminsider.blogspirit.com/

Looks good. Man Palm is getting good at keeping secrets.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    http://palminsider.blogspirit.com/

Looks good. Man Palm is getting good at keeping secrets.
    I heard from a Sprint CSR that a Sprint Treo 650 firmware will be released to support EVDO. Who knows....? He might have been full of it.

Al
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I wonder what they mean when they say, "650 users will get a major firmware upgrade".
    Not possible for EVDO, the 650 does NOT have the HARDWARE to support EVDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I heard from a Sprint CSR that a Sprint Treo 650 firmware will be released to support EVDO. Who knows....? He might have been full of it.

Al
    Don't be so gullible. An EV-DO upgrade is impossible.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Don't be so gullible. An EV-DO upgrade is impossible.
    I still would like to know what is meant by "major firmware upgrade".
    I was also told by a Sprint Regional Rep a long time ago that there would be an upgrade to the 650 that would allow EV-DO. I don't see how its possible, but there are folks out there saying it even if it ain't so. I specifically said to him, "I don't thinks its possible with the 650 chips, perhaps you are thinking of the 680 "(what I assumed the 700 would be called back then) and he said, he had been told that there was a way to do it with the 650.

Now this guy was NOT a technical person, he was a sales guy - a very big-wig, uppity-up sales guy, but a sales guy nonetheless.

The point is that, regardless of if EV-DO is possible on the 650, there seems to be (mis?)information going around within Sprint circles that it is possible.
    Last edited by midmofan; 01/03/2006 at 10:34 AM.
    Does anybody know how reliable Amstel has been in the past?
    From what I have read on the FCC documents, the modem chip is not EVDO capable. I recall seeing that the first fone with the capability of EVDO (but not implemented) was the PPC-660x. That being said, even the functionality of EVDO for the 660X has not been turned on through a simple firmware upgrade. I don't know any inside information nor do I pretend to. All I know is what I read via FCC and those released documents.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Maybe it will stop resetting all the damn time.....
    I'm back!
    It will instantly explode the device if it senses any complaining by the user of no wi-fi!!!!!
    BT 1.2 with A2DP ?

:-)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    BT 1.2 with A2DP ?

:-)
    That would be nice. What other "Major" enhancements are possible?

- "volume care" like utility built in
    - better cache handling
    - more "GPSness"
    - better launcher, real move to card, FileZ like capabilities, etc.
    - Browser upgrade
    - VersaMail upgrade
    - optional Swis Army Knife style toothpick instead of stylus
  15.    #15  
    major upgrade is most likely blackberry software.
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    It will instantly explode the device if it senses any complaining by the user of no wi-fi!!!!!
    That would be nice and I would be willing to back such an upgrade.
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    That would be nice. What other "Major" enhancements are possible?

- optional Swis Army Knife style toothpick instead of stylus
    Ewww. Would you really want to pick food off your teeth, then shove it down into your 650 to let it rancify and crust up inside your Treo. Ick. Here
    if you need more function from your stylus get one with the pen included. Toothpick...................ICK.
    Ewww. Would you really want to pick food off your teeth, then shove it down into your 650 to let it rancify and crust up inside your Treo. Ick. Here
    if you need more function from your stylus get one with the pen included. Toothpick...................ICK.
    Check out the FCC radiation reports on the 650. It puts out more than enought juice to sterilize any toothpick!!!
  19. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Check out the FCC radiation reports on the 650. It puts out more than enought juice to sterilize any toothpick!!!
    Still though.
    Just because there isn't an EVDO radio inside the 650, that doesn't mean they can't increase the speed of the Vision network with software upgrades on both ends. Remember that modems had theoretically hit the ceiling at 14.4k and then the engineers worked out ways to crank up the data rates up to 56k us/33k ds. Some of the increases were done through firmware upgrades.

Anyhow, despite my relationship to TC as a reviewer, I have no inside information. I just speculate like the rest of you. However, this hypothesis does fulfill "major firmware upgrade...benefiting of development" (ie Power Vision). A 700p in February sounds mighty fine. My headset jack just went south again.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast