Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Will have to improve the screen back to 320 by 320.

This screen size issue is the BIGGEST problem I have with the 700w.
    jonger...the 700W is smaller due to windows os limitations.

the palm os has no such limitation.
  3. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon
    I wonder if the Sprint firmware upgrade might include PTT?
    Highly doubtful; there are 2 kinds of PTT. The data plan kind (tested in Europe) has definite latency issues. The US carriers (Sprint pre-Nextel, Cingular, maybe Verizon) have been using a 2nd radio. We may (at some point) see that built into a Treo. I think we'd have heard already if it were going to be in the 700p. Maybe the next round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Does Push to Talk require a second radio in the unit? If so, no software upgrade can fix that.

Cheers, Perry.
    No, push to talk with sprint is entirely software done as it's just voice over IP. It is entirely possible they could release it via a update, but that's doubtful as I believe they intend to merge the PTT technology from sprint and nextel in the near future. Forgot what they are gonna call it though.
    Shadowmite, does the Treo 700p look exactly like the 700w? Any other info you can give us?
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Shadowmite, does the Treo 700p look exactly like the 700w? Any other info you can give us?
    Hey Jimmie, give the man a break.

He would if he could, but he can't, so he won't.

We will know soon enough.

Silly Season continues.

Cheers, Perry.
    I would not consider BB Connect a major firmware upgrade being that I am doubtful it would be implemented as firmware. And stopping beating the dead horse named Cobalt. Osama bin Laden will be captured and WMD's found in Iraq before Cobalt is seen on a PDA.

If anything, I would think either EVDO (though I don't see how it would be possible) or the WIFI card support. Please God let it be the later. That way I can change my signature to, "Stop whining and just buy the god dang WIFI card!!"

And BTW, there isn't even any hint of what source this rumor came from on PalmInsider about the major firmware upgrade for the 650, or even the 700P in February. For all I know the source was Perry. Until you hear from Palm, don't budget the money.

Maybe we'll hear something at CES but I doubt it. I'm guessing that Palm will just be gushing all over the 700W - their bstard son from Microsoft.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    And just to shoot a few more holes in this rumor:

1) Where is the FCC filing?

2) If PalmInsider knows that this thing is coming out in February then what is going to be named?!? Because there's no way in heck they are going to name this the samething as the Windows Mobile version and just throw a 'P' on the end of it. Because you know there will be all kinds of confusion with people ordering the wrong model if they have a 700w and a 700p with one being a Verizon exclusive and one having a 320x320 screen vs. 240x240.

3) The 700w has the same speed processor as the 650 - 312mhz. What processor would they put in a 700p? I doubt they would put a faster one in. So what upgrades could they give you? The 1.3M camera. A little more memory probably. WIFI - maybe card support but I doubt they will put WIFI in it after leaving it out of the 700w. They could give you EVDO support but then putting that and WIFI in a firmware upgrade to the 650 would make the units almost identical with the exception of more memory and the better camera. Would anyone really upgrade from a 650 for just that?!? This rumor is like swiss cheese.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 01/05/2006 at 10:58 AM.
    I know, I know, I don't want the world to start pestering Shadowmite, but I'm really curious if the 700p still has an antenna. Inquiring minds and all that. If you can't answer, no harm, no foul -- gotta respect NDAs, (or guys who asked you to keep it under your hat).
    Being that the 700w has one, you have to expect that the next POS version will has well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    For all I know the source was Perry. Until you hear from Palm, don't budget the money.

Maybe we'll hear something at CES but I doubt it. I'm guessing that Palm will just be gushing all over the 700W - their bstard son from Microsoft.

Who? Me? You folks must think I have already paid a deposit at my Sprint store for the 700p!

BTW Bob-C, did you vote in my Off Topic "Don't Take the Girl" poll?

The incurable optimist lives!

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/05/2006 at 12:06 PM.
    No I haven't. I've stayed away from Off Topic. I grew tired of never ending political debates but I'll check it out.
    ......Silly Season continues......

Cheers, Perry.
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh
    Ant, as much as I agree with your analysis (you are often insightful and bring logic to your speculation), you can't logic with the illogical. PALM, has never been logical in their marketing nor their releases. At one time, Handspring was... way back when it was run by the techs not the suits. That is long gone, and I am afraid if you try to make sense of PALM's marketing and their move structuring, your head will explode. Literally, blow up. Like that guy in Scanners... and I like you too much to want to risk that.
    I have to say that this made me laugh in some great appreciation. Sometimes, I feel that my comments kill a discussion more so than keep it going. But I'll walk away from that one and stay on topic a bit longer.

Its not so much that I am thinking logically, honestly, I think they will wow not with the 700p but with the Hollywood and Lowrider models. If BT 1.2 was included, folks would buy the 650 and update it and not the 700p. It would kill them overall to do that. The upgrades have to happen more on the software side of major features, but not enough to deny the value of the cos tof the P version.

I have a stable 650 and so I really dont mind what happens, as long as I keep my device from having silly discussions with other software that causes it to crash all over the place.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Don't be so gullible. An EV-DO upgrade is impossible.

I know that previous quotes have indicated the Treo 650 does not have an EVDO radio but I had a rep tell last week that they were doing trials with the 650 with EVDO?? I do not know what to believe anymore and I no longer trust CS to follow thru on their promises!!
    EVDO is upwardly compatible with 1xRTT so they meant they were testing the 650 with EVDO basestation equipment. The 650 won't be any faster without a new hardware radio lile the 700 has.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Long ago a guy (here I believe) opened up his 650 and read the model #'s off the radio chips. The 650 is NOT capable of EVDO unless someone is going to do some major hardware upgrading...(basically an entire new radio.)
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    EVDO is upwardly compatible with 1xRTT so they meant they were testing the 650 with EVDO basestation equipment. The 650 won't be any faster without a new hardware radio lile the 700 has.
    Backward compatible as USB 2.0 is backward compatible to USB 1.0 (but USB 1.0 knows nothing about 2.0).
    Scary.

I understood even without your correction.

Cheers, Perry.
    I think so!
    Are you giving odds?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast