Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    That is more feasible than EVDO, being EVDO is impossible.
    Then again, it may finally support the wi-fi card. What about both...
    what is the benefit of a major upgrade? wouldnt that hurt sales of the 700p?
    Quote Originally Posted by wballz33
    How can it hurt sales of something that hasn't been announced yet?
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    How can it hurt sales of something that hasn't been announced yet?

I think they were speaking about if they were both announced or came out at the same time. . . . . .why jump to the "new" one if you can upgrade your "old" one to the "same" thing. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Sorry, Perry said what I was getting at. If they announced an upgrade that included BB Connect and some other improvements, why would people upgrade other than EVDO?

IMO, they need to include better out of the box applications for multimedia. Many flipphones and other devices (PMP's) are beginning to sell well and Palm could really be an innovator in adding these capabilities without third party apps. While I like adding apps to do these things, the average consumer is not even going to know that is possible.

Apple got the ipod to take so much market share by simplifying things for the user, I think palm could do the same thing by just adding some standard apps and would keep the same customization we all love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I think they were speaking about if they were both announced or came out at the same time. . . . . .why jump to the "new" one if you can upgrade your "old" one to the "same" thing. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    That's true, but there is no concrete proof that Sprint will announce either a 700w or 700p any time soon. Just rampant message board speculation, a good portion of it fueled by this site.

Sprint might not be releasing the 700w until the original Q2 2006 estimate thrown out by Colligan at the 700w unveiling, or the original 700p March 2006 rumor that circulated here for a while. If so, then why not release a "major firmware upgrade" in January if it's available and will squeeze out some additional revenue?
    I'm back!
    I think palm could do the same thing by just adding some standard apps and would keep the same customization we all love.
    Ok...

[Just for the record, what I love is that there is a Palm OS smartphone and there are excellent developers out there supporting it. NONE of Palm's apps belong in that category.

I use Hi-Launcher to circumvent the phone app.
    The tasks and calendar are a step down from the 600.
    The photo app takes two eternities to load photos from the card and doesn't save video at the highest rate.
    Blazer is slower than snails...
    But it's better than Palm's biggest flop ever: Versamail]

I WILL give them credit for the 5-way and the form factor, though: good job Palm

What makes me excited about the 700p is that it will allow for more exciting THIRD PARTY apps over EV-DO.

Sorry about that. I feel better now.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Will we see Cobalt on the Treo 700p?

Please say yes....
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Ok...

[Just for the record, what I love is that there is a Palm OS smartphone and there are excellent developers out there supporting it. NONE of Palm's apps belong in that category.

I use Hi-Launcher to circumvent the phone app.
    The tasks and calendar are a step down from the 600.
    The photo app takes two eternities to load photos from the card and doesn't save video at the highest rate.
    Blazer is slower than snails...
    But it's better than Palm's biggest flop ever: Versamail]

I WILL give them credit for the 5-way and the form factor, though: good job Palm

What makes me excited about the 700p is that it will allow for more exciting THIRD PARTY apps over EV-DO.

Sorry about that. I feel better now.
    One of the great things about the Treo and PalmOS is that it is possible/easy for developers to do things. Sure, you can say that some of them should have been built in to the Treo in the first place, but the fact is that a lot of what we expect from PalmOS developer-wise, I have not seen on WM. Im not talking about the big companies, but the guys that come up with things like LEDoff, MovieGuide, AirlineSchedule, even Gibson when he started out (hes not so little anymore!). Lots of great little apps that talented people can come up with that I just dont see with WM
    From my posting at PalmInsider:
    it wouldnt hurt 700 sales if teh 700 had better hardware specs. In looking at the 700w review at Treonauts, you can see there is a better camera, more RAM, and more efficient processor. That isnt enough by itself, but if the software is done right, it would make for a better solution than the 650.

Now, a major update in my book would be an update to Cobalt; but that hasnt been yet reported by our insiders.

My guess is that the update is to get teh 650 and 700 to a similar software configuration so as to minimize support costs and troubles across the devices. That would mean updated email clients, hotsync conduits, possible Messaging and Media updates, and I would guess the BB connect software. There could even be a tewak in the interface or with the PIM apps, but that would all sound about the changes in store, and major enough for the carriers to be happy.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Will we see Cobalt on the Treo 700p?

Please say yes....
    Not impossible I guess, but I doubt it. All reports that I have seen indicate that Colbalt is pretty much dead, just could never get it to be stable or work right. Plus,indications seem to be that there will be a Linux/PalmOS at some point so would not seem to make sense for them to roll out - and have to support - a "new" OS (and all the headaches that would bring) only to replace it later with the LinuxPalmOS. I know some folks want Cobalt, but I just dont see it happening.
    Last edited by midmofan; 01/03/2006 at 01:38 PM.
    Possibly to a small extent, BUT if they are going to keep selling the 650, then there will need to be upgrades to keep it a viable option and you dont want people leaving the 650 for a non-Treo phone because of lack of upgrades.

A lot depends on how they will be selling/marketing/pricing the 650 vrs the 700.

At this point, with the development and other costs probably paid for already, Palm might actually make more per unit on a 650 sale than they will on the 700 for a while. Depends on how they account for things of course but quite possible.
    So Palm will announce the 700p in February for delivery when? June? July? Could they be announcing the 700w available in the summer when VZWs exclusive runs out?
    I think the update will be BlackBerry Connect for the 650. Palm and Sprint announced a few months back that the Treo 650 would get this in '06.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I think the update will be BlackBerry Connect for the 650. Palm and Sprint announced a few months back that the Treo 650 would get this in '06.
    Back when I went to the Treo Roadshow in Chicago (Oct 2004) the Palm people said that BB Connect would be available after the first of the year....of course, now that I think about it, they didn't say which year!
    And speaking of Treo Roadshows, I wonder if they want to step into THAT mess again!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Not impossible I guess, but I doubt it. All reports that I have seen indicate that Colbalt is pretty much dead, just could never get it to be stable or work right. Plus,indications seem to be that there will be a Linux/PalmOS at some point so would not seem to make sense for them to roll out - and have to support - a "new" OS (and all the headaches that would bring) only to replace it later with the LinuxPalmOS. I know some folks want Cobalt, but I just dont see it happening.
    How about a higher version than 5.4? Otherwise, if there's no type of software upgrade, this IMO is a reason NOT to buy.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Forget major firmwares, fix the dam design, the audio jack belongs on TOP for starters.
    The 700p's I have seen are 5.4.7... Sorry... Looks like it's just a radio and memory upgrade to the 650. As the 650 was a minimal upgrade to the 600. Small steps.

I feel confident 1 of the other treo's they will annouce this year will be a 750 or whatnot with yet more small upgrades.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast