Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering if anyone has a second phone they use in place of their Treo. I have a Sony Ericsson V800 I occasionally use, but I'm almost never using it anymore. I got it when I was getting instability issues with my Treo 650. Once I got them straightened out, however, my Treo almost never leaves my side. Kinda like the Lone Ranger and Tonto. For me it was some third party software (gee, who'd of thought?) and needing a piece of paper behind the SIM card. Now that the resets are only an occasional thing I've left my SE V800 in it's charger for about 2 months now. It is a great phone, but it ain't no Treo!

I'll probably eBay it, but having a backup phone, something cheap and expendable, still sounds like a good idea. I'll keep my old SE 610 for that purpose. Sort of a "just in case" option like damage to the Treo. So back to the original question: Do you have a second phone, and if so, what is it?
    Just one. Went down to one device with the Treo 650 and I am never going back to two!

Cheers, Perry.
    Same here, although I am getting tempted by the TX!! But I just cannot see carrying around two devices agian. Everything is just so simple and painless haveing one device.
    Palm m105>Visor Prizm>Tungsten T>Clie Nx70v>Tungsten T3>Treo 600>Clie UX50>Tungsten T5>Treo 650>Tungsten TX>Treo 650 agian!!!
    Just one. My 650. Although it probably makes it easy knowing that my wife has the 600 and our son has a Nokia 6016i.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Just one device (my T650) - and my laptop.
    And I'm carrying it with me alll the time - checking mail and surfing too often (according to my wife... )

My former device Tungsten T3 is mounted in my car for TomTom navigation.
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Just one....been using just one for years (since my Samsung smartphone days)

That said, between the T650, BT headset & GPS receiver I haven't really lightened my load much.
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    Just one. Like everyone else
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Why use another phone when you have the Treo 650
    i have a second phone, but it is a 650 too.
    i have a third phone too, and it is a 600.
    my 4th phone is a S# t610 (?), it went to jamaica with me.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I have a brand new (still in sealed plastic) Moto RAZR V3 but having played around with my girlfriend's I can't see myself surviving with such lame software... will probably sell the V3 next week.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Just one phone for me.
  12.    #12  
    Wow, you guys are loyal Treo enthusiasts! I agreee that once you've gone Treo you'll never go back. But no one has a spare lying around? I'm both impressed and a bit shagrinned to have a spare myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Just one. Went down to one device with the Treo 650 and I am never going back to two!
    Same story here!
    I got an old treo 300 off ebay as a backup in case I lose treo650 or in for service,etc. l will activate only if needed. already saved me once!!
    Only the treo for now. I'm still waiting on the carriers to wake up and allow multiple phones to have the same phone number. The closest thing available is swapping sims in a gsm phone, but wouldn't it be nice if you could have your three favorite phones all with the same number. Just as my wife likes to leave the house with the purse that best matches her outfit or her mood, I envision the day when people will own multiple phones and just leave the house with the one that best suits them at the time. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to take off with just some teeny tiny little phone when your going somewhere that the bulky pda phone is just too much, like maybe for a quick swim or a short run to the store? Maybe the girls would like to choose a color that matches their shoes?

I see no technical reason why you can't or shouldn't have multiple phones on the same number. The first one to answer a call or initiate a call would become the active phone at that moment. I used to have a landline phone set (2 phones) that worked that way...only one could be active at the time...that went in the trash the first time I wanted to be on the line the same time as my wife...but I digress. Anyway, making the first phone of the bunch that answers a call or makes a call become the active one while the others are locked out for the duration of that call seems to me should work fine. Heck, let them all answer the same call, makes no difference.

The only reason I see not to do this is that the carriers want to bill separately for every single phone out there. But I think this only limits the number of phones they will sell. I would think the carriers could make more money from selling extra phones to people that already pay for service than they would theoretically lose from a few folks who would try to save a buck by carrying two phones with only one number, since the two phones couldn't call each other.

HEY CARRIERS...WAKE UP AND SMELL THE MONEY TO BE MADE BY SELLING PHONES AS ACCESSORIES LIKE WOMEN'S HANDBAGS!!!
    I bought the Treo 650 strictly for reasons of not carrying multiple devices. Although i do have a Video iPod now. I was worried about the size, but found the Treo easy to carry in my pocket. I thought about getting a second phone, but found the Treo to be adequate for everyday use, even on the weekends.

IMHO. Once you get into a decent workflow with a phone, it is hard to switch to another one. I'd rather pay for software to make the Treo a better phone/PDA then spend the money on a new phone. No matter how small and trendy it is.
    Treo 650 is my main phone, but I still keep my (solid as a rock) T600 around as a backup.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    Wow, you guys are loyal Treo enthusiasts! I agreee that once you've gone Treo you'll never go back. But no one has a spare lying around? I'm both impressed and a bit shagrinned to have a spare myself.
    I have not even had a landline at home since 1999. So my one cell phone is all I rely on.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I use my previous phone (audiovox 8600) as a second phone. The main purpose for it is when I need to carry something light (e.g. if im rollerblading)..
    Its nice and small, and has fairly clear reception. Crappy UI and some bugs, but does the job for the most part.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    I have not even had a landline at home since 1999.
    My sister lived in Johannesburg, South Africa for a number of years and she said it was quite common for folks to have a cell phone and no land line. Almost unheard of here in the U.S., however it does make sense. Why should you ever be out of tough on your home phone with all this great technology at our disposal? Simple: you shouldn't. Having a cell phone only is the perfect answer.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast