Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I recently had my Treo 600 replaced under the hardware warranty. I lost my first Treo 600, and it was replaced under insurance. The replacement had a bad screen and it was promptly replaced under the replacement warranty.

while I was waiting for the defective T600 to be replaced, I bought a T650 with the intent to sell the T600 on ebay or otherwise. I put the T650 in service and when I went in to Sprint to pick up the replacement T600, I was told I had to de-activate the T650 and activate the T600 in order for the replacement warranty to be effective, which I did. So the replacement T600 was in use for less then a day during which time it worked perfectly. I made and received calls, used the touch screen, played a few gaimes of Klondike..everything except hot-sync since I knew it wasn't going to be in service long and all my sync profiles had been updated for the T650.

I then deactived the new T600 and put my 650 back in action. Same day. I took a few pictures of the T600 along with a bunch of accessories and put it up for auction on ebay.. I clearly stated that the unit had been in service for a matter of hours, during which time it worked perfectly, and the pictures I had taken clearly support this. It was all boxed in it's original packaging, and then in another box with the accessories and sent off to the winning bidder the day the auction closed.

I then received a nasty e-mail from the new owner claiming that the T600 didn't work; that it had a defective touch screen and also saying that I knew the unit was damaged when I sold it. Not even close to the truth as my pictures and description were totally accurate.

The buyer is going to bring the T600 to Sprint to diagnose the problem, but noted that he would alert PayPal and ebay as well post negative feedback if I didn't make good.

So what would you do? The $200 I would have to eat if I returned the money isn't going to break my retirement...so I can easily do that. But I know for certain that the unit worked perfectly. It was a brand new unit direct from Sprint. The pics from the auction show the screen works fine.

If I am to refund payment I might make it subject to my having the unit checked out by Sprint before sending any money back. But the more I think about it, I have no idea what was done to the phone after it left my hands in working order...and don't really feel I should be responsible for it if, for instance, the buyer damaged it and now wants me to bear the cost.

I know it was in 100% perfect condition, and operating perfectly when I boxed it up for shipment.

========== edited 01/04/06 ==========

I still have not heard back from the buyer of the T600. However I did make a few calls and learned some interesting bits..

First, regarding my issue...thru a very helpful Sprint technician, I was able to obtain the ESN #'s for the Treo600. Sprint records show that the phone was activated. This, as you know, can ony be done if the touch screne is working.

Although I could not obtain the activation date, I know the ESN number is still showing active.

So no matter where this goes, I know the screen was operating at some point...and what was done with it after it was activated I don't know, and frankly don't care. He could have dropped it in the toilet, stepped on in or who knows...

As an aside, I learned that the equipment warranty many of us have through lock line doesn't follow a calling plan..it actually follows the phone and the phone number. So in my case, if I have an issue with my new Treo650, and require a replacement, lock line would send me a replacement Treo600 since I have yet to call them to notify them that I now have a T650 (right phone number, wrong phone). And, if I did accept the T600 back from the ebay buyer I would not have coverage on it once it changed to the T650 (right phone wrong phone number because it is deactivated).

Interesting chain of events...
    Last edited by MikeM; 01/04/2006 at 09:27 AM.
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    If you know you did right by him, then I would let ebay and paypal handle it. I think ebay has an arbitration system to work out any disagreements.

BTW-do your pictures have a date/time stamp on them?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    BTW-do your pictures have a date/time stamp on them?
    All pics have a time and date stamp digitally encoded along with all the exposure and camera info...

Click here.... and click on EXIF Image Details
    Technology Rules!
    That's always the risk with eBay, buyer or seller. I like to deal face to face. I have sold many desktop computers to co-workers over the years, as I have upgraded. The sale always included delivery, set up, and a run through of power on and installed applications . . . . just so we were all on the same page when I left.

From what you have written, I feel you have done the best you could.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/29/2005 at 07:56 AM.
    I know this probably won't solve your problem, but has your buyer calibrated the touchscreen? My friend had a treo screen that wasn't responding well, and I thought it might be broken. I went into prefs after remembering the touchscreen needed to be calibrated, and did the "target" thing.

Just a thought.
    What kind of history do you and the buyer have? Do each of you have any kind of feedback rating established? This is usually a good indicator of how a buyer or seller will behave. I have done 100s of ebay transactions with very few problems.

Is it possible that the phone was dmaged during shipment?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Watch out for the bait-and-switch. This guy might have had a defective 600 and only bought yours to try to return his broken one hoping you wouldn't notice the switch. Definitely let Sprint do a diagnostic check before anything else, but if you do take the Treo back, double check to be sure it's the one you actually sold!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    What kind of history do you and the buyer have? Do each of you have any kind of feedback rating established? This is usually a good indicator of how a buyer or seller will behave. I have done 100s of ebay transactions with very few problems.

Is it possible that the phone was dmaged during shipment?
    Buyer has a 100% positive rating...although it is based on two transactions of which one is mine...

I have a 99% positive rating based on nearly 70 transactions... I have one mutually retracted negative feedback...seller was dragging his feet with delivery and I got tired of waiting...we apoligized and called it a day...

I doubt there was any damge done intransit...if you check the link above, to the auction, you'll see it was all packed in the original box...and then in a larger box with packing around it...
    Technology Rules!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    I know this probably won't solve your problem, but has your buyer calibrated the touchscreen? My friend had a treo screen that wasn't responding well, and I thought it might be broken. I went into prefs after remembering the touchscreen needed to be calibrated, and did the "target" thing.
    Not sure...All I was told is the the "touch screen is defective". I suggested he charge it fully, then perform a reset.

I am waiting on a diagnosis.
    Technology Rules!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    Watch out for the bait-and-switch. This guy might have had a defective 600 and only bought yours to try to return his broken one hoping you wouldn't notice the switch. Definitely let Sprint do a diagnostic check before anything else, but if you do take the Treo back, double check to be sure it's the one you actually sold!
    hhhmmm...excellent advice.

I hadn't thought of that. I did suggest to him that he have Sprint check the serial number to ensure that it was the phone put in service just a few days prior to the auction... I suppose, if I take it back, I should do the same.

Maybe I should cut this off at the pass and call Sprint right away.
    Technology Rules!
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    ... I like to deal face to face.

From what you have written, I feel you have done the best you could.

Cheers, Perry.
    This is the first ebay transaction I have an issue with...oh and my very first purchase... I bought a bird bath that turned out to be ten inches tall...turned it into a candle holder.
    Technology Rules!
    LOL
    Once I thought my daughters palm touchscreen was dead but it turned out that the screen protector was throwing the PDA for a loop. Did you ship it with a screen protector?

Also my first T600 had the touch screen go out on the second day. It was odd, it worked perfect the day I got it but the next morning it was toast. He's probable posting over at MTDN say in "What do I do, this guy sent be a dead treo".

Is this person not able to get it replaced?
    I think the bait and switch advice is right on. Be careful. I would gldly take a hit on my ebay feedback if I knew I was right.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

yeah, I say call sprint n find out if he activated ur phone. if anything, tell him to send u back the phone (make sure it has the correct esn) and then give him his money back. *shrugs* just a suggestion(sp?) . screw it...tell him to activate it, get insurance, then replace it. lol
    I'm not sure how it is for everyone but I bought my wife a Treo a month or so ago and I had to call lockline and they had to call the new phone and speak with me on it to ensure it was in working order and then the insurance still didn't go into effect until 20 days later. Maybe all that had something to do with buying it from "You Never Call Wireless".

I bet the same applies to ebay purchases.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I sold a bunch or Treos (20 or so - a lot for me) on ebay and only had a problem once. Here's my advice:

1. Protect yourself, no money back until you can get the phone in your hands, ensure it is the same one you sent and it was not tampered with or damaged.

2. Be explicit on how you would handle a return, ie, no money until the unit is inspected (see above) and if there are any issues, you will return the unit to the buyer.

3. Allow for the fact that the device did die. If it did, and you want to go above and beyond, you can always let the buyer get all their money back. If you do choose to mutually cancel the transaction, ebay has a way to refund most or all of your listing costs. Again, hold on to the $ until they do their part (responding to an email) and all you would be out is shipping costs.

4. Allow for the fact you are dealing with a deadbeat - they will not be happy no matter what. Let them post neg feedback, but make sure they are not trying to extort as ebay can remove feedback for something like that, ie, I had a guy who said he would leave neg fb if I did not refune shipping. I offered a FULL refund including shipping, but only after I got the item back and inspected it. He insisted all he wanted was shipping back (so he obviously liked the product and the price) - I let ebay handle it.

Finally, do you have insurance on the shipment ? and have you spoken directly to the individual or has this all been via email ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ImportsCRX
    yeah, I say call sprint n find out if he activated ur phone. if anything, tell him to send u back the phone (make sure it has the correct esn) and then give him his money back. *shrugs* just a suggestion(sp?) . screw it...tell him to activate it, get insurance, then replace it. lol
    Actually, the Sprint Insurance is a great idea. I'd hang my hat on the phone getting damaged in transit. Or, he's trying to screw you. Either way, without admitting you had any knowledge any problem with the phone, suggest that he enroll in the Sprint Equipment Protection program and then make a claim. They will not inspect his phone if is within the first 30 days of activation.

If they stupidly and cheaply bought it without insurance, he's a loser and should suffer a painful death. BOO-FRIGGIN-HOO!

Did you offer insurance?

FWIW, Ive got a 100% feedback rating on Ebay with 105 transactions, probably 40 of which are sales, and Ive sold phones on Ebay before.
    Your feedback speaks for itself.
    If you sent it out in good condition and it was damaged in transit, then I hope he bought insurance. If he didn't, then that's his fault, and you are not responsible. ( Some lessons are learned the hard way).
    If you do have him send it back, make it very clear that he has to send it back in the exact same packaging. If he has thrown away the packaging, then he has to eat the cost. When you get the original boxes back, compare the serial # on the unit with the serial # on the box so you can be sure that it is the same unit. Then perform a check of the unit. If everything checks out ok, then refund his money and let him F*** off. If it is a different treo then keep the money and report him to Ebay. I doubt the unit is defective, it's probably his first Treo and he's just an *****. Just make sure he doesn't switch it with another Treo...
    Good luck
    SC
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink
    Actually, the Sprint Insurance is a great idea.
    I'm not a big fan of insurance fraud...

Since it is your phone, and if it did die, you can get it back from the buyer and submit an insurance claim. Then take the new phone and sell it on ebay.

I would also suggest talking directly with the buyer - there is an outside chance they are not a dirt-bag, and just bought an expensive item that they think does not work (wouldn't you be upset). If they are new to the phone, a little coaching could resolve this quickly....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast