Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    just another confirmation of the 700p.

I was on with customer support about my phone...as I normally am during the week...

and I was talking with the tech. rep. and he was saying that they're not going to be supporting the older treos anymore with the 700 coming out.

I asked him if it was W or P, he said P.
    Currently using: Sprint Treo 650!!
    Palm Pilot - Palm V- Handspring Visor - Samsung i500 - Treo 600
    and when you asked himw where he heard about it did he say treocentral?

Of course they'll support the 650.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wackochrisoidun
    just another confirmation of the 700p.

I was on with customer support about my phone...as I normally am during the week...

and I was talking with the tech. rep. and he was saying that they're not going to be supporting the older treos anymore with the 700 coming out.

I asked him if it was W or P, he said P.
    Now there is the pinnacle of reliability. A tech rep said something. On Verizon's high quality network it took me months to explain to half their techs that the problems I had did NOT deal with the Treo "automatically connecting to the Internet once a day" like they were told to parrot to the rest of us. My guess is that when he said "P" he meant he needed to *******.

Can you guys try any harder to justify the existence of the new 700p?
    I was on the phone a few weeks ago with Sprint Vision Tier 2 Support questioning them on GoodLink. The rep was extremely knowledgeable (if you doubt their expertise, call 866.818.1944), and we began to discuss the in's and out's of Power Vision.

After a bit of talking, I asked him if he knew any information on the upcoming Treo(s). He said he hadn't heard any firm information, but he said he had received a call from a person in the field testing a Treo 680. Keep in mind the Verizon Treo 700w was initially dubbed the 670, so either this is the Sprint version of the 700w, or it is the 700p.

Was this Sprint I was talking to? Yes.
    What was my confidence level in this particular TSR? Very, very high.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    I think that is the key. But hey, who knows. I hope it comes out sooner than later.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Haha, I work for a big cable company, I wasn't even informed when they partially disabled the HDMI port of the cable box, except when I found out on mine. Do you really have so much confidence in tech supports?
    When I get Tier 2 tech support they have been very knowledgeable. It is like comparing a 3rd grader to an MBA in Sprint's tech support ladder, MBA being Tier 2 TS and 3rd grade being the general phone support. They helped me solve some frustrating problems with my Treo and my connection card.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    I was on the phone a few weeks ago with Sprint Vision Tier 2 Support questioning them on GoodLink. The rep was extremely knowledgeable (if you doubt their expertise, call 866.818.1944), and we began to discuss the in's and out's of Power Vision.

After a bit of talking, I asked him if he knew any information on the upcoming Treo(s). He said he hadn't heard any firm information, but he said he had received a call from a person in the field testing a Treo 680. Keep in mind the Verizon Treo 700w was initially dubbed the 670, so either this is the Sprint version of the 700w, or it is the 700p.

I think at this point, most people accept that the the Treo 700p, 680 or whatever exists. The real theorizing is just when Sprint will actually launch the thing!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I think at this point, most people accept that the the Treo 700p, 680 or whatever exists. The real theorizing is just when Sprint will actually launch the thing!
    Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang
    When I get Tier 2 tech support they have been very knowledgeable. It is like comparing a 3rd grader to an MBA in Sprint's tech support ladder, MBA being Tier 2 TS and 3rd grade being the general phone support. They helped me solve some frustrating problems with my Treo and my connection card.
    Totally agree. I've been very impressed by the quality of Sprint's tier 2 tech support.

I, too, am looking forward to the 700p. I'd love to see it come out 1Q2006 but I'm willing to be patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    This is just a hunch, but Palm will either do one of two things:

Announce the 700w and 700p at CES, giving Sprint and VZW a competitve shot in the arm with sales, and making the US market kinda weird for a while with GSM folks up in arms about not having a WM Treo or updated PalmOS one.

Or, 700w at CES with early March intro of 700p via Sprint, early to mid Feb for their business channels in order to ride the wave of the 700w VZW till the slow late winter/early spring tech period. Announcing/making availiable he 700p would give Palm a nice 1qtr showing, as well as amp their investors for the next two Treos already spoken of.

Its just a guess, but one of those are sure to happen.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang
    Just because they know what the inside of your Palm looks like doesn't mean that sensitive information is going to be shared with them. Why? It's almost laughable. When those guys are told they will get training on a device, then they know. Otherwise it's rumors, rumors, rumors. None of these "MBAs" that you say are so smart would be stupid enough to start telling you highly sensitive information that, if he had, would be enough to get him booted.

As others have said, it's likely another Palm device will be out and the question is just when. At this point, what was supposed to be out in January might take a lot longer. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM
    Or, 700w at CES with early March intro of 700p via Sprint, early to mid Feb for their business channels in order to ride the wave of the 700w VZW till the slow late winter/early spring tech period.
    I think it will be this one.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Haha, I work for a big cable company, I wasn't even informed when they partially disabled the HDMI port of the cable box, except when I found out on mine. Do you really have so much confidence in tech supports?
    Do you have any idea if it will ever be enabled?

Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Actually I found out. If you are using the SA8300HD box, you need to go to setting->general settings->digital audio->HDMI
    I'm not buying another Treo until it's Linux based or my 650 *dies*. I love my Treo but multitasking and memory management are becoming must-haves in todays world. Waiting for two minutes for the phone to reboot because of some errant program is not cool. Plus switching applications without losing where you are would make some things so much easier.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I'm not buying another Treo until it's Linux based or my 650 *dies*. I love my Treo but multitasking and memory management are becoming must-haves in todays world. Waiting for two minutes for the phone to reboot because of some errant program is not cool. Plus switching applications without losing where you are would make some things so much easier.
    But you'll need RAM to do it. And may Palm finally kill itself if it releases another 650-like edition that barely gives you enough RAM to store your apps and run them.

What is absolutely hilarious is that no matter how much memory a PPC device may use with all the bells and whistles, the entire storage and RAM of a 650 doesn't even fit into the 700w's built in RAM, let alone the extra storage to store apps which is at least double.
    Careful, you could be in for a looooong wait.

That kind of stability would be great, but I'm not sure where it will be found in the coming months. Will Plinux, WMx really be able to seal off an offending app with out bringing down the mother ship like XP & NT do? We'll see.

Switching apps and losing your place is truly a pain. But, the issue is not actually a shortcoming due to multi-tasking. Palm OS apps written properly to "Palmsource" standards should return to the "last point". Most do and thus the need and resulting bloat of multi-tasking is not needed. Ironically, Palmsource's own PIM apps are NOT written properly for this! When you scribble down an address or phone number in Diddlebug or Voice recorder, then later transfer to the Contacts you'll see the problem. Unless you can remember the 10-digit phone, address and zip code, you'll need to go back and forth. Unfortunately the stupidly written Contacts app will return you to the top of the list after each switch. Do 3rd party PIMs do this right?

Many apps are written correctly and function as if you were multi-tasking. In fact I thot my 1st Palm IIIe really was for quite some time. Every day I read Scripture in BibleReader and switch to take notes in Docs2Go. It works just as neatly as doing the same on my XP PC with full multithreading. Very few things need true multi-tasking / threading on PDAs. But if you truly need it, then Palm OS apps must be written specifically to do background tasking ... ie Realplayer. WM contends while Palm OS pretends on this particular.

If you want to work with your PDA while your GPS navigates over BT with voice commands, then Palm OS is gonna choke. But for "most" everything I prefer the OS that still resides within 4MB rather than the one that requires 16MB+.

Still waiting on the Treo 800g.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith
    Careful, you could be in for a looooong wait.

That kind of stability would be great, but I'm not sure where it will be found in the coming months. Will Plinux, WMx really be able to seal off an offending app with out bringing down the mother ship like XP & NT do? We'll see.
    This does work on WM. When an app crashes it just closes usually, and you end up back at the today screen. Sometimes even frozen apps can be terminated, if you are patient enough. Occasionally an app will bring the whole OS down. In WM, you are much more likely to be forced to soft reset than to have the device reset on you.

Surur
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    This does work on WM. When an app crashes it just closes usually, and you end up back at the today screen. Sometimes even frozen apps can be terminated, if you are patient enough. Occasionally an app will bring the whole OS down. In WM, you are much more likely to be forced to soft reset than to have the device reset on you.
    So the real question remains. Who gives a crap about the specs of the 700w? Does the reset button require you to remove the back cover?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast