Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    We've had one of these threads for November and December. Now let's try for January. I'm betting that the 700p will come out at the same time as the 700w.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Does anyone have any release information on the 700p?
    I would like that sooooo much, however, no one has mentioned a sighting at the FCC web site yet. . . . .the 700W was at that site at least a month ago, so I would say the 700P is AT LEAST one month behind the 700W.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/27/2005 at 01:06 PM.
    Ok, new thread.

First person to say Wi-Fi and the **** hits the fan.

This thread will degenerate into the same repetative discussion as to the necessity of Wi-Fi - just like all past threads.

Ready... GO!

Wi-Fi!!!!!!1111oneoneoneone
    DOH!!! You said it first!!!!!

Hope it has WiFi

On a more serious note, I'm thinking I may be saying goodbye to POS for the time being. It is time to evaluate a solution for our sales force and other mobile individuals. I am leaning toward a WM5 device (Man it hurts to type that!!) just for the new Device Management options available with Exchange SP2.
    Last edited by Geckotek; 12/27/2005 at 11:25 AM.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I would like that sooooo much, however, no one has nentioned a siting at the FCC web site yet. . . . .the 700W was at that site at least a month ago, so I would say the 700P is AT LEAST one month behind the 700W.

Cheers, Perry
    Yeah, I would stress the 'AT LEAST' part.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I would like that sooooo much, however, no one has mentioned a sighting at the FCC web site yet. . . . .the 700W was at that site at least a month ago, so I would say the 700P is AT LEAST one month behind the 700W.

Cheers, Perry
    I'm not sure on the FCC filing requirements, but would the 700p require a separate filing if only the software changed?

For instance, if the 700p has the EXACT hardware specifications as the 700w, I wouldn't think it would have to have a seperate filing. If different software versions required separate FCC filings, then previous Treos with the same hardware specifications but different software versions (i.e. Sprint vs. Verizon, Cingular vs. Rogers) would have required separate filings.

I think this is how they've been hiding the Treo 700p!
    Do you really want a 240x240 POS Treo?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Do you really want a 240x240 POS Treo?

Surur
    Not particularly, but if that is what I have to give up to get EVDO and BT 1.2 (w/AD2P), I'll gladly take less screen resolution.

Also, I should mention that I would take the lowly 160x160 res if Sprint (Palm) would drop the gastly blue they used on the 650s casing. That's a joke, of course, but I hate that blue. Give me gunmetal again!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    I'm not sure on the FCC filing requirements, but would the 700p require a separate filing if only the software changed?

For instance, if the 700p has the EXACT hardware specifications as the 700w, I wouldn't think it would have to have a seperate filing. If different software versions required separate FCC filings, then previous Treos with the same hardware specifications but different software versions (i.e. Sprint vs. Verizon, Cingular vs. Rogers) would have required separate filings.

That is very possible..........
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman

Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    That is very possible..........

OMGosh

By "EXACT hardware" does that mean the new 700P would have a 240x240 screen? I can hear the howling now. (Me included -- I will not "upgrade" to a lesser screen, they will have lost me.)

Here is to hoping that they have not "hidden" the FCC filing of the Treo 700P under the coattails of the 700W.

I know this is probably 12 months late, but here it goes anyway:

PALM: LEAVE THE SCREEN ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Or if you must tinker with it, improve it somehow.)

Cheers, Perry.

(See folks -- I can get irate!)

(But I was very positive about it.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/28/2005 at 07:29 AM.
    Palm will NOT put 240x240 on a Palm OS Treo. That is like putting screen doors on a submarine. With Garnet (barring something utterly shocking) it will be 320x320, or 320x480 if it gets another form factor.

The 700w is not 240x240 because Palm is on the cheap, but because it's means WM apps only have to scale themselves vertically from the QVGA norm, and not horizontally as well if 320x320 were used. 320x320 would have been disasterous on the W. With HP's communicator + the Treo, they are expecting this new WM square standard to catch on.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot stylus, but those desperate for WM compatibility + Treo form factor are going to. I'll drop my T3 + T637 when Palm delivers HVGA on a Treo. Just can't personally return to the square screen.
    Patrick Horne
    I don't know how the FCC filings work, so I don't know if they could coattail the 700p on the 700w filing but if they are allowed to do so, they could still change the screen. I don't think the screen alters the wireless certification.
    By "EXACT hardware" does that mean the new 700P would have a 240x240 screen? I can hear the howling now. (Me included --)

PALM: LEAVE THE SCREEN ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What if the next treo is 240x240 because ........

it runs COBALT!!!!!!

In addition, Palm OS Cobalt 6.1 is designed to encourage new categories of Palm Powered wireless devices by supporting QVGA, HVGA and VGA display resolutions in both portrait and landscape orientations.
    http://www.palmsource.com/press/2004/092804_cobalt.html

with a linux kernel of course....

Just think how much money Palm would save! Exact same hardware, 2 different OS's.

I will not "upgrade" to a lesser screen, they will have lost me.
    Choices choices.... what will Perry do then....

Surur

PS:Not that I believe this, but I like to give you guys the shudders....
    Last edited by surur; 12/28/2005 at 11:14 AM.
    Choices choices.... what will Perry do then....

Surur

Keep my 650 !! (I waited thru the 600 to the 650 for a better screen.)

Cheers, Perry.

Actually, as I believed in the 700P from the very start, I also believe that it will have a 320x320 screen or better. I have faith. I believe!
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/28/2005 at 11:11 AM.
    I Like how is say's that it will be able to integrate Wifi

Standard Support for Bluetooth and WiFi Palm OS Cobalt 6.1 incorporates the latest Bluetooth implementation, in addition to new headset and hands-free profiles critical to the development of next generation smartphones and other wireless devices. In addition, Palm OS Cobalt 6.1 provides standard 802.11 support designed to enable device manufactures to create products with built-in WiFi.
    Actually, to go back to my previous theory that same hardware versions don't require separate FCC filings....what if non-radio differences in hardware didn't require separate filings either? Does the resolution of a screen have anything to do with the RF that the FCC governs? I wouldn't think so, but once again, I'm not sure.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    WiFi or not (not goin there) I think I may be switching to a WM5.0 device regardless. Can get a good deal on the new Dell Axim, plus it supports CompactFlash, which means I don't gotta buy a new camera for my trip. CDMA/GSM don't work in Japan anyways. Hopefuly my journey to the "Dark side" will be a short one tho

Then probably by about this time next year, I can get the 700p or Hollywood or whatever is their top line phone. (At that time we'll probably posting about the rumored "750p/w/c" and arguing for / against including WiFi in it at that time )
    I, for one, hope the T700p will be released very soon (my T600 is about to die).

1) I would think radiation is radiation (whether from radio or screen). If the 700p has a different screen than the 700w, I believe it would have to be certified on its own.

2) I sure hope the 700p does NOT have lower resolution than the 650.

3) If the 700w and 700p share the same hardware, this implies the 700p will not have WiFi. I want the option to use WiFi in my next device.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    1) I would highly doubt that the 700p has a lower screen resolution. If anything, you'll probably just get the same screen.

2) We should all accept right now that the 700p will NOT HAVE WIFI. Why am I willing to make that bet? Because if the 700w doesn't have it and Palm is selling a WiFi card separately, then it almost goes without saying that a 700p will have this same $100 option. Also, why bother redesigning the thing to stick in WiFi when you already have a "solution" that results in a revenue driver and a cheaper phone to sell to carriers?

Unfortunately, I'm also willing to wager that we won't be seeing drivers released for the WiFi card for the 650.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast