1.    #1  
    please ... can someone help this newbie?
    I have the Treo 650. I found a cool ringtone in the shape of a WAV. file (whatever that means) on the internet. I downloaded it to my computer desktop and hotsync-ed it onto my exapnsion card on the fone. I've been able to locate it in "file manager" & can see that it's there but I can't do anything with it. Can't even figure out how to listen to the thing. How do I make it my ringtone for incoming calls? Is that even possible?
    What I want it to do is show up in the "tone" menue on the Treo. Possible? Not?
    Help!
    Thanks.
    -marco
    Emailing the wav as an attachment to you phone will allow you to convert it. If you search these forums you will find ample instructions.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

you need to save it to your phone not the card.
    As previous poster said, you can email it to yourself, retreive that email on your Treo, save the attached .WAV to your phone. I think it then converts it to a lossy native format, meaning that it will lose some of the quality - perhaps not enough to bother you though.
    you can do it a lot easier. just send the wav file via bluetooth directly to your treo and after you have saved it on your phone, you'll be able to use it as a ringtone
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx
    you can do it a lot easier. just send the wav file via bluetooth directly to your treo and after you have saved it on your phone, you'll be able to use it as a ringtone
    sorry ... but I don't know how to do that. Can you provide a step-by-step? Think: 3 year old, and i may be able to follow your instructions.
    sorry to be so lame about this.
    thanks.
    -mb
    okay, to do this, you have to pair your desktop to your treo. this thread might be of help. then you should be able to right-click on the wav file you want to transfer to your treo and send it to a bluetooth device, which is your treo. your treo will ask you whether you want to accept the file and where you want to store it. just tell it to save itself to your phone, and then when you access your ringtones, you should be able to see the sent wave file and be able to use it.
    okay, i am trying to explain, considering that you have a windows xp type of operating system and a bluetooth dongle that enables your computer to send and receive files via bluetooth.
    hope it helps a bit
    Last edited by jinx; 12/26/2005 at 04:49 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Okay everyone. Thank you for responding to this querry and trying to explain this process to me. Unfortunately, none of this seems to work and I am ready to throw this damn Treo out the window. How can something that should be SO simple, be SO impossible?! This should be the easiest thing to do with this expensive phone. I use all the other featurs and enjoy them, but not to be able to assign a ringtone as a DEFAULT ring? How can that be? My Treo does not ask me where I want the sent WAV. file or how I want to use it. The only tones available to assign are the same ones that came bundled into the phone. I even bought and downloaded a tone program called "TechSounds - Alarms, sound effects and ringtones for OS 5." It found the WAV. file, lists it, allows me to hear it on my phone ... but I cannot assign it to any function, nor can I use any of the sounds in their database. They're all there. I can play them. I cannot use them.
    If anyone else can figure out how to assign this file to my Known Caller ringtone, I'd sure love to find out ... but I'm really unhappy that Treo or Sprint or whoever the heck is to blame, would make something so simple, so hard.
    Okay. My rant is over. Enough.
    The easiest way is to email it to your phone. Make sure its a wav file. When you download it from the treo, make sure you save it to sounds, not to the card. When you are done it will be available in the list of ringtones. I dont think it can really get much easier than that.
    If you sync the file through a cable, it won't show up in your available tones. You have to either transfer it via bluetooth or email it. If you're not sure how to do the bluetooth (which could take some time), then emailing it to yourself would be easiest. Once it's on your phone (NOT SD CARD), it'll show up in your available ringtones. I have not figured a way to tranfser this over to my SD card after doing this and still being able to use it as a tone...yet. There are third party programs to handle this as well, which allows you to keep audio files on your SD card and use them as ringtones. One of the cheaper ones is TreoGuard, but you need to have PTunes in order to use this function (check the sticky thread under applications for links to both Ptunes and TreoGuard).
    Quote Originally Posted by pro5
    The easiest way is to email it to your phone. Make sure its a wav file. When you download it from the treo, make sure you save it to sounds, not to the card. When you are done it will be available in the list of ringtones. I dont think it can really get much easier than that.
    I've done all that. It's a Text-to-Voice .wav file. It shows up in my list of ringtones. When I assign it to Known Caller or Unknown Caller, it plays fine on the Treo.

Then - when I receive a call, this .wav file does NOT play and the Treo just reverts to the 'Alarm' ring tone at the top of the list.

I have searched for hours trying to find out what causes this and how to solve it. Can anyone help? (I have only one Valium left in my PEZ dispenser)