Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Does anyone know a way to set up the Treo to control a garage door opener using IR?
    there isn't. even if there was IR range on the 650 is about 3 feet max.
    As you turn onto your street, call home. Tell Woman to open the garage door...NOW!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    As you turn onto your street, call home. Tell Woman to open the garage door...NOW!
    SIR!, How prehistoric!

Nowadays, when Woman properly trained, you should be able to avoid cellular airtime as she waits by the window watching for your car coming around the corner as the signal to open the garage door.

Man, I'd be dead meat if my dear wife ever read this!!! What a whimp! Yes dear, right away dear...
    However, my trained Woman will have plenty of housework to be done, not to mention cooking my food. Food is to be served fresh from the oven as soon as I sit in my recliner, thus she will not have time to wait by the window.

I will get a dog for this.

Disclaimer: Mrs OTR, your husband doesn't really think this way. I, on the other hand...

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    However, my trained Woman will have plenty of housework to be done, not to mention cooking my food. Food is to be served fresh from the oven as soon as I sit in my recliner, thus she will not have time to wait by the window.

Disclaimer: Mrs OTR, your husband doesn't really think this way. I, on the other hand...

That's messed up.... Let's see what your wife has to say about this when I sent her an email with your text....

LOL

Al
    I at least let my wives rotate these duties amongst themselves.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    That's messed up.... Let's see what your wife has to say about this when I sent her an email with your text....

LOL

Al
    What is messed up is allowing your woman to use the computer, she knows she is not allowed to touch the computer at my house or she gets the hose again.
    What about a bluetooth device that can be hooked up through a relay to open the garage door? anybody know of a device that could talk to the treo? maybe like an old cell phone with bluetooth and a relay stuck to the vibrate moter, paired to the treo (discovery off). so whenever one is in range the door opens? Then you would have to wire in annother switching relay if you ever want it to close again. Ideas anyone?

-Just an afterthought, thats also a way for a terrorist to set off a bomb... maybe its not a good idea afterall.
    Last edited by kidlatj; 12/24/2005 at 01:11 PM.
    Palm Piliot pro w/2mg upgrade,
    Prism Visorphone,
    Visor Edge
    PalmV
    Kyocera 7135,
    Treo 600,
    Treo 650.
    I just found a product that converts IR to RF which could also be used to open a garage door
    http://www.smarthome.com/8220a.html
    just mount it on top of the treo...
    Palm Piliot pro w/2mg upgrade,
    Prism Visorphone,
    Visor Edge
    PalmV
    Kyocera 7135,
    Treo 600,
    Treo 650.
    Hook up an X-10 module to your garage door opener and link that to your PC. Then, you can use your Treo with web access to open the garage door. With other modules you can turn on/off lights, change the thermostat, etc. etc.
    I worked on a project very similar to this for an energy company client back in 2000-2001. It was quite cool as you could use a WAP browser to open doors, turn on lights, adjust thermostats, etc. Nowadays it would be quite cool if you could send pre-canned text messages like "open garage in 60 seconds"
    Palm Personal => V => Vx (w/OmniSky) => m505 => Treo 300 => 600 => 650 (free of charge) => 700P (free of charge again!)
    Why not just push the button on the garage door opener? Seems a lot easier than turning on treo, luanching app, pressing button.
    Tsk tsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Treolo

LOL

Al

Insertion remains single. Is there really a question why?

Bek
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekktek
    Insertion remains single. Is there really a question why?

Bek
    And you wish to bed down with me...is there really a question why?

Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    This "event" has to happen in (of possibly under) a garage door ...is there really a question why?
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Quote Originally Posted by demoflauchy
    Why not just push the button on the garage door opener? Seems a lot easier than turning on treo, luanching app, pressing button.

Have we learned nothing about convergence? Why not just carry a laptop, pager, filofax, mp3 player, camera, car phone and portable cell phone? Each item by itself is probably better than the Treo. But put them all together in one device......
    Quote Originally Posted by mansouan
    I worked on a project very similar to this for an energy company client back in 2000-2001. It was quite cool as you could use a WAP browser to open doors, turn on lights, adjust thermostats, etc. Nowadays it would be quite cool if you could send pre-canned text messages like "open garage in 60 seconds"
    Text messaging to control garage doors, lights, etc? That sounds like a great solution. However, it would need to include some sort of security code so others couldn't open your doors.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Text messaging to control garage doors, lights, etc? That sounds like a great solution. However, it would need to include some sort of security code so others couldn't open your doors.
    It actually exists!

Check this out: http://www.bieneelectronics.com/prod...otecontrol.htm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast