1.    #1  
    Ok, I just kinda won a Treo 650. I say kinda because winning involved paying $150. I was told I will receive a voucher to purchase a Treo650 from the palm website, and I assume I can order any 650. My main question is should I get the unlocked version and sell it on amazon for like $500? (another question: what could I get for it?) or should I get a verizon treo and use it?

I have a verizon cell phone, and will stay with verizon service. I am a graduate student, and I know I would love the scheduler aspect of a smartphone, as I use the crappy scheduler in my regular old samsung cell all the time, as frustrating as it is.

However, I don't want to pay $40 or $25 extra a month for the internet service (my normal plan is only $40, I'd spring $5 for the insurance with this phone though). I am somewhat scared of having to deal with verizon every month since I have read somewhere that the phone automatically sends and receives a certain amount of data even if you don't tell it to (which apparently amounts to alot of money if you don't have a data plan and you pay per kb).

Would I be able to just activate this phone online and keep my current plan? and would this help me slip through any cracks with the data plan vs if I went into the store and made an salesman hook it up who would prob try to sell me the dataplan? I ask this because I can use data on my current cell at no charge.

Also, is there anyway to get slow internet access for free like with my current cell? On my old samsung, I can change the gateway IP to a non verizon gateway and don't have to pay the $5 a month to access the little "mobile web". This would be great for me with the treo, as I would rarely use the internet except for email and very occasional web browsing and dial up like speed would be just fine.

Just wouldn't mind some answers/opinions here as I'm having a hard time deciding myself, and I've already got frustrated searching for individual answers to the little technical questions.

Thanks!
    Based on your fiscal concerns and light need for internet data access, I would sell it. Verizon is charges heavy on data access, intentional or not.
    Sounds like your won the American Express My Wish promotion

Congrats!!!
    By the way, Sprint has unlimited data for $10 a month...
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, I got a GPS off the amex exclusives event also! Only that one just cost 2000pts so was basically free.

I'd switch to sprint, but everyone I call has verizon so the IN network really works for me, plus I just signed a 2 year contract.

I think I'd really like having the phone, I just don't know if I would get my $25/month worth out of paying for internet.
    Based on your own word, sounds like you'd be better of just selling it; especially if you're needs are not as extensive as the 650 provides.

To answer your question: Would I be able to just activate this phone online and keep my current plan?..........I know with Sprint this can be done. But if you choose not to get a data plan and only pay per kb, you may end up spending more than you do now. Not sure though if you can do this with Verizon. I would suggest actually going to a Verizon store and talking directly with someone and weigh your options from there.

If you do decide to sell it, you can always take some of that $500 and upgrade your current phone and still have change left over.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    get a case for it, set up a minimal data plan and use it for a month or so. I get enough savings out of using the Directory Assist program to justify data costs.

If you don't see the value, sell it on ebay as slightly used with some pics to show it's pristine condition (don't drop it on th econcrete or this plan goes out the window). Even in that condition, you will get between $400 and $500.
    I disagree...go ahead and sell it if you want to make a little money but based on your questions, I say set it up on Verizon and use dial up for slow internet and email. If you already use a crappy phone scheduler, you are going to love the Treo. Don't sign up for a data plan if you cant afford it. Take a look at this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...53&postcount=1

Also, search to boards for the ways to ensure your phone does not connect automatically to the data networks...many, many people use their Treo's this way and do not pay extra for data plans.

Then search for whatever freeware programs suit your needs. Owning a Treo can be expensive but it doesn't have to be!
    If you want to sell your Treo, you will get the most return on investment by selling a unlocked GSM Treo.
    sell it.it's a waste of technology and $$$$. You could get at least $350 for it
    A waste of technology is if no one can use it, and MANY can use the Treo.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12.    #12  
    Thanks Bret3333, thats the sort of info I wanted. Dial-up would work perfect for me.
    Welcome