Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I heard from one of my colleagues that the palm os is being phased out and everything will be PC. Does that make the 650 obsolete? He said there could be a software that would enable windows to be down loaded?
  2. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I think PalmOS is obsolete, but having been using it for five years, and owning hundreds of dollars of software, I don't see any other options out there worth migrating to.

There will be a Treo that runs Windows, but it is a separate item -- the Treo 700w. I highly doubt there will ever be a download for the 650 to change the OS. Palm OS PDAs in general don't get major upgrades. They want you to buy a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ECLEM!!!
    I heard from one of my colleagues that the palm os is being phased out and everything will be PC. Does that make the 650 obsolete? He said there could be a software that would enable windows to be down loaded?
    Yes, the 650 is obsolete. Fortunately Microsoft is stepping up to the plate. Beginning Q2 '06, all Treo 650 owners will be getting a free update. Rather than bother with Windows Mobile, they are giving us the whole enchilada: Vista.

Rumor has it that they first had trouble fitting it into the rather small memory space of the Treo. But after removing a few wizards here and there, a help file or two, and inappropriate device drivers, they ended up with room to spare!

Thank you Microsoft for bringing clarity to our world!

--
    Mike
    I have seen some links that say the Palm OS is still in use for 2 new models next year. But there does seem to be a consensus that they need to revamp the Palm OS badly. The 650 isn't quite obsolete yet, but it's quickly getting there. Comparing it to WM5 devices makes me . I bet people will probably still use it though, look at how many still use the 600 and that is certainly obsolete.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    The question of the OS being obsolete is very subjective. For many, the POS is great and does what they need. Having more options doesnt hurt though.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    It is a great operating system for small power requirements and small memory.

But it is unstable, so I think manufacturers should bundle "the good applications" that "play nice together" and give enough applications included so that one is not motivated to purchase new apps which will start the crashing and resetting.
    I did not want a Windows-based PDA/phone. Palm's OS, from my experience with it, really is pretty stable. Adding programs seems to be the main cause of instability in the OS. With the SD card slot, many of the extras can be run from there.

I don't use the T650 to store email, surf the web, store a lot of important info, etc. It's a nice convenience to be able to read email on the road, have web access, or be able to compose docs on, but it's not my primary PC/web access.

I like Windows on a PC, but just didn't want to deal with it on a PDA.

Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    I heard from one of my colleagues that your colleague doesn't know what he's talking about. While the Palm OS is in major need of a major update, it's note being phased out, despite the upcoming release of the Treo 700w. Oh, wait, this is your first post. Why am I not surprised?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  9. lua
    PalmsOS devices are not being replaced by WorM device, rather Palm is complimenting PalmOS devices with those with WorM.

I'm pretty sure WorM users would like you to believe otherwise.
    IIIx to Treo650. Now that's Quantum Leap.
    I thought I had heard once that Palm devices were going to be Linux-based in the future. No, this is not a joke.

Perhaps not, though. It's just something I remember reading here once.
    Someone told me that Windows OS is so obsolete compared to Unix or even Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman!
    Yes, the 650 is obsolete. Fortunately Microsoft is stepping up to the plate. Beginning Q2 '06, all Treo 650 owners will be getting a free update. Rather than bother with Windows Mobile, they are giving us the whole enchilada: Vista.--
    Mike
    where did you hear this from?? please give more details. i don't think palm os well be going "out of buisness" but i do think that it is going to get a major "facelift' to stay competitive,there might even be a "marriage" of the windows/palm platforms creating a whole new os all together, the robust features of windows combined with the usability of the os,just a thought.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
  13. lua
    marriage?!?!?! going into the same bed. for now. yes. marriage? hell no!
    yeah i guess we can't have the best of both worlds can we?
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
  15. lua
    you might just get the worst of both world ...
    From what I hear of WM/PPC users, their OS is less stable than the Palm OS, and somebody from Tom Tom that I met recently said the the HP equivalent to the Treo is far less stable than the Treo 650.

What happened to Cobalt? nobody has mentioned it here.
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650, Holux GPSlim236 GPS BT receiver & Tom Tom v5.201
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljj8503
    where did you hear this from?? please give more details. i don't think palm os well be going "out of buisness" but i do think that it is going to get a major "facelift' to stay competitive,there might even be a "marriage" of the windows/palm platforms creating a whole new os all together, the robust features of windows combined with the usability of the os,just a thought.
    I apologize if you took it seriously, but my post was meant as a joke. Vista is Microsoft's next desktop OS--I was just mildly poking fun of it (and its size).

In reality there is virtually no chance of a Microsoft OS coming to the Treo 650. As I have a Sprint Treo I'll be happy if it continues to be supported with future ROM updates (fixes).

Further, it seems there will be another Palm OS successor to the Treo 650. IIRC, that leaked investor's report referred to it as the Treo 700p. That report (which was yanked immediately after it was posted), said this: "We know that PALM will introduce four new models in CY 06. In January they will introduce the already announced Treo 700 Windows which will be a Verizon exclusivity, it will be the first EV-DO Treo on the market. Around the same time we believe PALM will launch a Treo 700p running PALM OS on the Sprint network, both devices will keep same form factor and will capitalize on the Treo strong foothold in the US enterprise Market."

Now if that investor's report has been debunked, I'm sure someone will chime in about it. I seriously doubt we'll see a Sprint Treo 700p in January. But perhaps the report used the term "launch" ambiguously (e.g., maybe "announce" would have been more accurate).

--
    Mike
  18. lua
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeProcter
    What happened to Cobalt? nobody has mentioned it here.
    cobalt died before it got out of the womb. last i heard some 3rd-rated singapore company was/is developing a multi-os smartphone that supposedly boot either WorM5 or Cobalt, but it's been all quiet now.

those ex-Be Inc engineers are really really cursed as far as i can tell. they seemed to be able to come up with some pretty nifty stuffs and yet none took flight ... except in some geeks' basement.

hopefully access can exorcize the damned thing and come up with something better.
    You have to admit Palm OS is in serious danger. They have a lot of catch up to do with the next OS version since Cobalt never made it out of the gates. In the technology world, being this far behind can be the kiss of death.

Are they down and out? No. Are they tetering on the edge. Yes.
    Cobalt was put out, but no vendor has been willing to put out a PDA running it. And yes, Access/PalmSource is working on a version of Linux that would feature our favorite POS GUI.

As for a melding of WM and POS... never. If anything, Microsoft would buy PalmSource (oop, too late!) and destroy them. Actually, no they wouldn't. Microsoft needs Palm to stay alive so they can avoid anti-trust litigation in another field.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast