Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I really hope they improve the audio jack.
    I'm with you on this. It's aggravating having to use adapters when they could just install a standard 3.5 mm jack.

I won't consider buying another Treo, unless they switch to the 3.5 mm headphone jack, upgrade BT, add more memory, and have EV-DO.

I would also like to see Wi-Fi compatible and a stronger IR port for Novi Remote w/o adapter, though they wouldn't have to be provided for me to upgrade.
    Is this an HTC thing????.....because my PPC-6600 is the same way, and I hate it when I loose an adapter just as I board a 6 hour flight and so 1 gig of mp3 on my phone are for nothing until I can find another outlet that sells adapters again.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Is this an HTC thing????.....
    Doubt it: I'm sure there is collaboration between Palm, the carriers, manufacturers and maybe even component manufacturers. But, manufacturers are contracted to build according to specifications. And Palm, I imagine, makes the final decision on the specifications of Palm products and therefore awards one or more contracts to have them built.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeReaction
    I'm with you on this. It's aggravating having to use adapters when they could just install a standard 3.5 mm jack.

Aggravating isn't the word for it. I'm always afraid I'll take off on a trip and forget the adapter!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    You guys can go with windows if you want but im sticking with PALM, I say its much more reliable.
    I've been playing with the windows ce, PPC devices over the years, they cant compete in my opinion. Recently I played with verizon PPC phone and when i picked it up it was stuck on a screen and making a buzzing sound, i tried to close the window but after 5 min i put the phone down and looked at the treo 650 comparing the resolution to my 600 and of course was able to immediately navigate thru the menus. PPc tries to do to much, much like its big brother and PPC is too buggy and this was confirmed when i was tried to navigate thru the menus. Yes I hear you guys saying this is a store model and hundreds of people play with it and kids walk by and just touch the screen blah blah, but the treo's are on the same display exposed to the same traffic....
    I have to agree that there is more display damage to WM devices. I've seen it myself. I think when it's not their's, people just don't care. So I'm not letting anyone touch mine except in an emergency!
    But yes, the Palm display devices always work even with the heavy traffic.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #87  
    A friend of mine just got his hands on the Treo 700w (Palm sent him a review unit) and while he likes the form factor, EV-DO, over his Treo 650 he says his 650 is faster application wise. Palm OS has always been a faster OS. He'll be publishing a review soon on his site. Treo 700p come out already,lol.
    Jimmie Geddes
    An extra inch or more of screen in most WM devices may play factor in this as well. More screen real estate, better chances of cracks. Smaller screen area, easier to support the screen around the sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    A friend of mine just got his hands on the Treo 700w (Palm sent him a review unit) and while he likes the form factor, EV-DO, over his Treo 650 he says his 650 is faster application wise. Palm OS has always been a faster OS. He'll be publishing a review soon on his site. Treo 700p come out already,lol.
    No question about the speed. The 650 runs circles around the 6700. The 6700 even has a faster processor. The OS really makes a huge difference when it comes to speed and memory requirements.
    Because I will be paying full price for my next Treo, and because EVDO is not yet in my area, I plan on waiting for the "Hollywood" version to be released, hopefully later this year.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    YES!, the "W" is here!

That means the "P" is ever closer.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxrunner
    You guys can go with windows if you want but im sticking with PALM, I say its much more reliable.
    I've been playing with the windows ce, PPC devices over the years, they cant compete in my opinion. Recently I played with verizon PPC phone and when i picked it up it was stuck on a screen and making a buzzing sound, i tried to close the window but after 5 min i put the phone down and looked at the treo 650 comparing the resolution to my 600 and of course was able to immediately navigate thru the menus. PPc tries to do to much, much like its big brother and PPC is too buggy and this was confirmed when i was tried to navigate thru the menus. Yes I hear you guys saying this is a store model and hundreds of people play with it and kids walk by and just touch the screen blah blah, but the treo's are on the same display exposed to the same traffic....
    That is actually easy to explain. When a Palm crashes it reboots. Blink and you might miss it. Then, unless it goes in a reboot loop, it will appear to be right as rain. A WM usually freezes if the OS crashes, so it sits there being unresponsive, and looks bad. It doesnt mean its less stable. If a PPC crashes once, it will spend the rest of the day frozen unless reset. If a Palm crashes 10 times in the day it will still spend 95% of the time responsive and looking pretty.

Additionally, the easiest way to kill a Wm2003SE device is to run the voice recorder until it fills up all available memory. It then crashes stone dead, and can only be revived by a hard reset. I'm sure this is a common occurance on the display floor. I do not know if WM5 devices still have this problem, as working RAM and storage memory has been seperated. However this one weakness does not mean the device is less stable, and lock up spontaneously.

I hope that explains things to you, and you can set aside some of your prejudices.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    That is actually easy to explain. When a Palm crashes it reboots. Blink and you might miss it. Then, unless it goes in a reboot loop, it will appear to be right as rain. A WM usually freezes if the OS crashes, so it sits there being unresponsive, and looks bad. It doesnt mean its less stable. If a PPC crashes once, it will spend the rest of the day frozen unless reset. If a Palm crashes 10 times in the day it will still spend 95% of the time responsive and looking pretty.

Additionally, the easiest way to kill a Wm2003SE device is to run the voice recorder until it fills up all available memory. It then crashes stone dead, and can only be revived by a hard reset. I'm sure this is a common occurance on the display floor. I do not know if WM5 devices still have this problem, as working RAM and storage memory has been seperated. However this one weakness does not mean the device is less stable, and lock up spontaneously.

I hope that explains things to you, and you can set aside some of your prejudices.

Surur
    Thanks for givien me more reasons to stick with palm
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Walt Mossberg, personal tech columnist for the Wall Street Journal this morning wrote that he still favors the 650 over the 700w.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  15. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    Walt Mossberg, personal tech columnist for the Wall Street Journal this morning wrote that he still favors the 650 over the 700w.
    For anyone who hasn't read that review yet, here it is...

http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    For anyone who hasn't read that review yet, here it is...

http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html
    Tks Q. I was able to get to it to post the link.

BTW - these links for others to view from the WSJ are usually only good for a week.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I'll probably upgrade due to the EVDO alone, however, I think I'd find wifi may be important for me.

Whenever I'm out of the country, my Treo basically turns into a poor man's video iPod. However, with wifi, it opens up the notion of applications like SkypeOut to call home cheaply and interfacing with SlingBox (which would be really cool even with the small screen, but better if they added a video out option to the Treo). Of course this requires software to be written for these, but no one is going to write the software until the hardware is there.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Bleah. This WSJ article is also crapola too that will fool novices. His biggest beefs are the out of the box issues and he compares the built in mail application to third party solutions like Snappermail.

The other items about one click issues -- if these are not addressable by third parties, which I assume they have to be -- they are serious. If Windows Mobile is a click-menu based system then the system software is seriously flawed. If the system actions like assigning keys and keypresses to perform tasks cannot be done, then yes, that is a serious flaw.

Anyone else use WM applications from third parties? Are there one key operations permitted? I have to believe so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Actually, I am half interested in them lowering the screen resolution on the next Palm OS model -- just for the entertainment value of seeing the explosion and flames that would occur here. I just can't even imagine the posts that that would create.
    That would turn the 650 into the Newton MP 2100. People would use them forever, people would find ways to hack them, upgrade them, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by surur

So the POS will recover from a crash far better than WM and there is a glaring issue with voice recording on WM devices........ Hmmmmmmm.....

I'll be waiting to see what the GSM version looks like. GSM is the only way to go if you ever leave the US.
    Last edited by AnteL0pe; 01/05/2006 at 10:36 AM.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    He's right about everything taking multiple key-presses on WM devices. They're more powerful but less user-friendly.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast