Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 106
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by robguz
    Palm has totally dropped the ball in not having a new Treo out for 14 months now. I still have a 600 because the 650 didn't have more RAM, which is my main need. You can have a 50 terabyte SD card and it still won't solve my problems. Web browser cache, docs to go, java, and any program I want to assign to a button must reside on internal RAM to function properly. This severly limits how much free space I have and it is a constant battle to even be usable for web.

    The 700p needs at minimum 128MB, preferably 256 or 512. EVDO, WiFi, latest bluetooth, 320x320, and a browser that is usable and regularly updated. It also needs to be a lot thinner. My iPod video is smaller and it has a 60GB hard drive in it. Sadly I think it is going to be a long time before Palm comes out with a new Treo worth upgrading to.

    I, too, still have a 600, although I have come close to upgrading on numerous occasions.

    I disagree with you on most of the "needs", however. 128MB (or more) would be nice, but I have been dealing with 32 for so long, that even 64 would be a welcome relief. A regularly updated browser is not a high priority for Palm or the SPs, it wouldn't generate much more in sales, so if you expect that for free, I think you are out of luck. You can purchase a third party browser, or you can just upgrade your phone when you want new browser features (which is, I'm sure, what Palm would like for you to do). I have never owned a bluetooth device, so I can not comment on the importance of having the latest version, but it clearly is not a necessity for me (I would like to be able to use a bluetooth GPS with it, however).

    I will upgrade to a 700p if it has EVDO, 320x320 (or better) screen, and (at least) 64MB. When the screen of the 700w was revealed, it knocked me for a loop. The possibility that they will put the same screen in the p has me worried. Wifi would be nice, but is not a necessity for me. Thinner would be fine, but I don't have much of a problem with the current form factor. I have yet to successfully make a call with an iPod, although, I must admit, it had not crossed my mind to try until you mentioned it. If the 700p has the exact same features (including screen size) as the 700w, with the only difference being the OS, then it may come down to which is out on Sprint first (or I may just get a 650 for the better screen, but I don't want to have to choose between screen resolution and EVDO -- please, Palm, I beg of you, don't make me choose).
  2. hlazar's Avatar
    Posts
    284 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by guessed
    I, too, still have a 600, although I have come close to upgrading on numerous occasions.

    I disagree with you on most of the "needs", however. 128MB (or more) would be nice, but I have been dealing with 32 for so long, that even 64 would be a welcome relief. A regularly updated browser is not a high priority for Palm or the SPs, it wouldn't generate much more in sales, so if you expect that for free, I think you are out of luck. You can purchase a third party browser, or you can just upgrade your phone when you want new browser features (which is, I'm sure, what Palm would like for you to do). I have never owned a bluetooth device, so I can not comment on the importance of having the latest version, but it clearly is not a necessity for me (I would like to be able to use a bluetooth GPS with it, however).

    I will upgrade to a 700p if it has EVDO, 320x320 (or better) screen, and (at least) 64MB. When the screen of the 700w was revealed, it knocked me for a loop. The possibility that they will put the same screen in the p has me worried. Wifi would be nice, but is not a necessity for me. Thinner would be fine, but I don't have much of a problem with the current form factor. I have yet to successfully make a call with an iPod, although, I must admit, it had not crossed my mind to try until you mentioned it. If the 700p has the exact same features (including screen size) as the 700w, with the only difference being the OS, then it may come down to which is out on Sprint first (or I may just get a 650 for the better screen, but I don't want to have to choose between screen resolution and EVDO -- please, Palm, I beg of you, don't make me choose).


    The p will probably have the 320x320, evdo, a 1 meg camera, the ability to use4 g sd cards, and a good chance of having more memory. Sprint want to sell us gps, evdo, etc.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
  3. #63  
    im sorry but im new here.. and i visit the site very often..but i havent been on in a few weeks.. im reading that the 700p is a go.. doea anyone have the first link that stated that and r there any new pics.
  4. #64  
    Probably...it will depend on the final specs. More RAM would be nice. I would just give my wife my 650 so she can upgrade her 600. Of course, would get to keep the 700p.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

    Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by geezy
    im sorry but im new here.. and i visit the site very often..but i havent been on in a few weeks.. im reading that the 700p is a go.. doea anyone have the first link that stated that and r there any new pics.
    I think so far the 700p's existence is merely circumstantial evidence but most members on this board are pretty confident its release is inevitable.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by LZMutant
    While I use my 650 as lot, I also have a Verizon Samsung i730, and the EVDO is truly fast. However, the browser (pocket explorer) is just awful. I'd hope that the EVDO implementation on the Treo would include a browser that does a better job of displaying pages. Blazer doesn't cut it for me. Fast browsing is great - but pages that look like a jumble sucks. Also, "text only" browsing is a waste of EVDO, IMO.
    I have been using PIE for 14 months now and have been far more impressed with it than Blazer and have not noticed any of your concerns (except for maybe hard java driven pages). I am not sure if you knew by default many PIE browsers come with low res pictures set as standard to decrease download time? A click of the button in settings and all pictures are back to high res.

    There are also some pretty impressive 3rd party browsers available too.
  7. #67  
    If it has Wi-Fi, I will upgrade. Otherwise, NO. I still have my 600 and have not had a reason to upgrade to the 650!
  8. #68  
    I wouldn't use Sprint as a carrier if I had to use a 270 the rest of my life.
  9. #69  
    BTW what do you mean by upgrade? I think this would either be a sidegrade or a downgrade. As long as specs for the 700p are in line with those for the 700w, the 650 is the better choice!
    The 700 is ugly anyway!
  10. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Perry will ;-)

    I decided to try something else.
    No he won't. He went with some OS from Redmond, WA.
  11. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #71  
    Count me in for a new 700P.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    No he won't. He went with some OS from Redmond, WA.
    What? That sounds like blastphemy? Perry really went with something other than palm?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I have been using PIE for 14 months now and have been far more impressed with it than Blazer and have not noticed any of your concerns (except for maybe hard java driven pages). I am not sure if you knew by default many PIE browsers come with low res pictures set as standard to decrease download time? A click of the button in settings and all pictures are back to high res.

    There are also some pretty impressive 3rd party browsers available too.
    Which impressive browsers are available for WM5?
  14. #74  
    First of all PIE was pretty impressive coming from using Blazer for the year before that.

    I really like ThunderHawk, but I am not sure if the WM05 upgrade is available yet or still soon to be realeased.

    http://www.bitstream.com/wireless/im...ketpc_ebay.gif

    LINK: http://www.bitstream.com/wireless/pr...tpc/index.html

    NetFront is also another good WM 3rd party broswer. I don't think they have their WM05 version out yet, but here is the link to the WM03 version HERE.

    Either way, if these two are not currently available, when the upgrade does come out, you will be blown away. They both have their pros and cons as any software would, but they are both very impressive browsers.
  15. #75  
    Dont forget Minimo (Mozilla/Gecko port) http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=359814

    Surur
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang
    I think so far the 700p's existence is merely circumstantial evidence but most members on this board are pretty confident its release is inevitable.

    Yeah, I think there will be one.

    It may well be the LAST one, depending on sales...but I think there will be one.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    It's pretty clear now that the Treo 700p is on it's way, and will be launched exclusively by Sprint. I was told this months back, glad to see my "sources" were right. I for one will upgrade, as having EV-DO is worth it alone, especially with Sprint's pricing.

    Who will upgrade to the Treo 700p?, even though our currents 650's are close to perfection.

    Happy Holidays to all Treocentral members
    I've had the Treo 650 for over a year, and love it.

    2 things would need to change for me to upgrade to 700p - EVDO and smaller form size (get rid of that damn antenna!).

    I added the PPC-6700 on my account for my roommate, and I'm jealous of the high speed he's getting (EVDO in Northern New Jersey). Also like the wide screen surfing.
    Unfortunately, you can't do too much with one hand. That's where the Treo still exhibits superior design.
    I also dumped my Ipaq and Windows mobile when I got my Treo, and haven't missed them a bit.
    I wouldn't go near the 700w because it will probably have the same issues that the HP windows phone had with the square screen. Most Windows apps are designed for the rectangular screen, so trying to run an app on a square screen truncates it.
    We'll probably hear more about whether or not this is an issue when it comes out later this week.

    Larry.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by larrynj4
    I wouldn't go near the 700w because it will probably have the same issues that the HP windows phone had with the square screen. Most Windows apps are designed for the rectangular screen, so trying to run an app on a square screen truncates it.
    We'll probably hear more about whether or not this is an issue when it comes out later this week.

    Larry.
    This is going to be a very real challenge for the 700w. If you just browse through Handago (or some other WM software site) you will see lots of warnings that this software does not support 240 x 240 screens....square screens. This is going to an a major con for many shopping in the WM market deciding which WM device to buy.
  19. #79  
    Between nothing working with WM5 and than add the square screen and there's really not going to be much software.
  20. #80  
    I really hope they improve the audio jack.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions