Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Not me because I don't use Sprint.
    Same here. Hollywood for me, running Palm OS. Unlocked (whether or not Cingular gets it) and a "true" worldphone. (Triband, IMO, just doesn't cut it.)

I agree that it'd be good to have an OS upgrade. Unfortunately, no word on one yet.
    Last edited by Q; 12/22/2005 at 10:46 AM.
  2. JJL
    Does anyone have an idea if the 700P will give us Garnet or Cobalt? That is the big determining factor for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    Same here. Hollywood for me, running Palm OS. Unlocked (whether or not Cingular gets it) and a "true" worldphone. (Triband, IMO, just doesn't cut it.)
    True? Does it have CDMA?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by JJL
    Does anyone have an idea if the 700P will give us Garnet or Cobalt? That is the big determining factor for me
    I've read Garnet....which is why I'm thinking twice now.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    Sorry for the ignorance, but can someone please explain to me what evdo is? I convinced my wife to let me get a 700p when they come out. I told her she could have my 650 which I have been very happy with. Score! Also, what's up with push e-mail? Will I be able to get it on my 650? If so when? Thanks
    Google EVDO and you get this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVDO

Push e-mail - e-mail is pushed to your device as it arrives (think Blackberry) This is a new functionality for WM5 and Exchange 2003 SP2. NOT possible by default on 650 although there are some hacks that give similar functionality. Search the forums for more info.
    I'll be all over it! I might even sign a contract to get a discount (have been flying no-contract since 2003)
  8. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    True? Does it have CDMA?
    "True" in terms of frequencies, not networks--I was looking to differentiate between triband, quad-band, etc.--and now with UMTS in the picture and new frequencies like 2100, it's even more involved...

I wouldn't want some combo-CDMA-and-GSM monstrosity... no way that would fit in a device smaller than the 650 anyway...
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Google EVDO and you get this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVDO

Push e-mail - e-mail is pushed to your device as it arrives (think Blackberry) This is a new functionality for WM5 and Exchange 2003 SP2. NOT possible by default on 650 although there are some hacks that give similar functionality. Search the forums for more info.
    I will be one of the first users to upgrade to the 700p. And regarding Gecotek's comments on Push not being possible by default, that is correct. However, I am savoring at the thought of using Chatter on a 700p with EVDO. No blocked calls, hopefully way less resets (due to increased memory), and of course the same real time push email that we get now. Chatter on a 700p with EVDO will absolutely rock!
    As I've said before, I'll upgrade to the so-called Treo 700p only if it includes more usable memory, Bluetooth 1.2 or greater, support for SD cards larger than 2Gb (SD 1.1?) and Wi-Fi. I won't settle for anything less. I'm sure it will come with EVDO support, so thats not on my must-have list.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Just praying that my 600 holds out till Hollywood then I'm in! I'm off contract with T-Mobile and waiting for my best subsidized deal. BUT.... if the 600 dies today... I'm doing the $199.00 650 deal with either Sprint or Verizon and excercise restraint. ;>)
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    As I've said before, I'll upgrade to the so-called Treo 700p only if it includes more usable memory, Bluetooth 1.2 or greater, support for SD cards larger than 2Gb (SD 1.1?) and Wi-Fi. I won't settle for anything less. I'm sure it will come with EVDO support, so thats not on my must-have list.
    I'm with you JBoogie! However, the WIFI for me is a not a must have -- with the EV-DO. My Sprint coverage is fine in Grand Rapids -- so I do not need the alternative connection, and if I do not have Sprint coverage -- I am out in a horse pasture that does not have WiFi coverage either!

Cheers, Perry
  13. JJL
    I've read Garnet....which is why I'm thinking twice now.
    If there is no new OS, why bother?
    My 650 is stable, I never use the camera, BT1.1 is fine with me, and I can manage the memory just fine. If I get more memory I'll just go out and buy a bunch more software I don't need. The fast browsing that EVDO provides is nice, but if I need it, I can fire up my laptop. Without a new OS, there is no compelling reason to move.
  14. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJL
    Since Ed Colligan didn't say anything about any of the 3 new "not-yet-officially-announced" Treo models running Cobalt, that means one of two things: 1) all of them running Palm OS are running Garnet, or 2) they don't want to say they've got Cobalt working until an official release announcement.

It'd be a huge coup if they did have Cobalt done and working. Likely is another question, though, and the answer is "reply hazy, try again later"...
    I'm not going to downgrade to a lower resolution device (POS or Windows). The screen on the 650 is gorgeous.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Still T3+T637. I will upgrade to the 1st Palm OS Treo that comes with HVGA or better. Still waiting on Cingular to get my GSM 800g or T|C2! So ... I wait.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I'm not going to downgrade to a lower resolution device (POS or Windows). The screen on the 650 is gorgeous.
    I am assuming the screen resolution on the "Treo700P" will still be 320x320. The screen on the 650 is gorgeous. I will not move to a lower resolution screen. If they did that, all hope is lost. (Yes, Mr. Positive Attitude did say that. )

Actually, I am half interested in them lowering the screen resolution on the next Palm OS model -- just for the entertainment value of seeing the explosion and flames that would occur here. I just can't even imagine the posts that that would create.

(Yes, I am still positive -- I am postive there would be flames!)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/22/2005 at 12:42 PM.
    I'm drooling over the thoughts of EV-DO with streaming video and audio (come on, Normsoft and TCPMP). But I will not jump for EV-DO alone. I'll wait and see if there are any killer apps first, and also what Hollywood looks like.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I'm so waiting for the Treo 700p for the following reasons:
    -EVDO
    -BT 1.2
    -1Mpx Camera
    -More RAM

I'm sure we are getting all those features on the 700p, but if we get more than that I will go crazy and eat my nails every hour I think of it until I get it

Al
  20.    #40  
    The Treo 700p wll have 320x320 screen
    EV-DO
    More memory
    Better camera
    Definitely bluetooth
    I am thinking Palm will allow you to use their wifi card in it, just like the 700w does.

My Treo 650 is the longest Palm/Pocket PC I've ever owned. I've had it since February, I switched from Cingular to Sprint to get it. Sprin't unlimited EV-DO is also the cheapest at 15.00 a month.

I already have push email on my Treo 650 using chatter, the Treo 650 also syncs with exchange out of the box. Sprint also offers some download I used at work that got all my emails off of exchange. I later switched to chatter.

Sprint is also enabling their Treos in 2006 with BlackBerry Connect.

I think the Treo 700 w looks nice, until you get the the screen 240x240 is almost on par with the TReo 600. But if you love Windows Mobile you will love it. It will be the most successful Windows Mobile smartphone, for one reason, it's a Treo.
    Jimmie Geddes
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast