1. dme
    Hi all. I'd like to consolidate my phone and my PDA in one device, so the Treo 650 seems a good choice. I'm just wondering if it's overkill for me.

Frankly, I don't think I'll be doing any web surfing on the Treo, and I certainly don't want to pay $20/month for it on Cingular. My plan would be to get a refurb 650 on Cingular for $140. That price does not require any data plan.

Is a Treo overkill if I'm not going to use it to surf wirelessly? Or for $140 is it a good deal as just a phone and PDA combo?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dme
    Is a Treo overkill if I'm not going to use it to surf wirelessly? Or for $140 is it a good deal as just a phone and PDA combo?

Thanks.
    I think it's worth it. Plus you get the benefit of a portable movie player, mp3 player, game machine (...the list goes on and on.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Maybe this thread should be merged into this thread.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

4. dme
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Maybe this thread should be merged into this thread.
    I didn't post in that thread because I do want to use the 650 as a phone and a PDA, just not as an "internet device" (for lack of a better term). That thread seems to be about using it as a PDA, but not as either a phone or an internet device.
    I didn't post in that thread because I do want to use the 650 as a phone and a PDA, just not as an "internet device" (for lack of a better term). That thread seems to be about using it as a PDA, but not as either a phone or an internet device.
    My bad.

Try it out. I think you will be very happy with it (and be prepared to end up using it for more than you thought. )

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Hi all. I'd like to consolidate my phone and my PDA in one device, so the Treo 650 seems a good choice. I'm just wondering if it's overkill for me.

Frankly, I don't think I'll be doing any web surfing on the Treo, and I certainly don't want to pay $20/month for it on Cingular. My plan would be to get a refurb 650 on Cingular for $140. That price does not require any data plan.

Thanks.
    I think you will find you use the Treo for more than anticipated once you have it. Even if you just use the phone and PDA function, it is nice to only carry one device.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    I would have to say for that price Yes indead. Both my son and my neighbor both have Treo's to merge the phone and PDA and neither have internet plans. The keyboard was a huge selling point and just having one device instead of the "Bat Belt".
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

At first I thought the 650 was going to be to much, to complicated, not true at all if you can navigate your way around a desktop you can navigate your way around Palm's OS.As far as size it's a little bigger but for what it's capabilites are you will not mind it's size you will although fall in love with it's screen.
    I've started consolidating then I saw the additional posting. I had to split again, my mistake. Adjusted title to match detail.
    I bought my 650 to replace a dying cellphone and a Tungsten. I rarely use the internet to browse or check email (I do enjoy having the option to use them, though). I'm glad I consolidated.

Thanks.
    I too don't use Data or Internet on mine, & it's totally worth it to me just for the convergence factor!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    I don't use data or internet since I'm paying for broadband at home. Even so, I wouldn't have any other device.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  13. dme
    Thank you all for your feedback. I've ordered my Treo 650, and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Now, I just need to wade through all the helpful posts on here.
    Just make sure that you don't forget to go to your network preferences and check the option that ask if you want to connect to the internet.

And if someone plays with your phone, guard like a dog, they may connect to the internet without you knowing about it and leave it connected.
    I also have a treo 650 and don't have data service. I do have text messages. I tried after my handspring visor to have a palm and cell phone (I moved back to Atlanta where there is actual cell service...had lived where there wasn't any)....I HATED IT! Two chargers....program your cell numbers into the phone...have your address book in your pda...

If my 65 yoa mother can learn to use one (she has my old 600)...so can you! That is what I tell people who say they can't learn! As Mom pulls out her bright yellow Vaja case!
    Normally, the answer would have been yes. But if it costs $140 and no need for data plan contract, then go for it.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    In the late eighties I used to sell computers and people would come in saying,"I just want a computer to help me create a family history album." or "I just want to do word processing" or the like. I would always tell them the more they use and learn the computer the more they will do.
    Guaranteed you'll be using more of it's features in a very short time. Just happens that way.
    I have to go home now...
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Just make sure that you don't forget to go to your network preferences and check the option that ask if you want to connect to the internet.

And if someone plays with your phone, guard like a dog, they may connect to the internet without you knowing about it and leave it connected.
    Very good advice indeed. But if you're like me, I wanted to take it a step further......

My Treo 650 is of the Verizon flavor, and Verizon will not sell you the device without an Internet access plan (totally CRAP IMO). Like you, I wanted to consolidate two devices (cell and PDA).

Since I was FORCED into having a data plan, I opted for Verizon's Pay-As-You-Go access, knowing full well I would never use it. The problem with the Pay-As-You-Go plan however, is that if you DO use it, it's BIG BUCKS.

Knowing this, and fearing my device may fall into the wrong hands of an Internet savvy teenage reletive or friend (or thief for that matter), I wanted to 'password protect' any access. You will find that your out-of-the-box Treo will not do this, as it will only 'ask you' if you want to connect, as ronbo2000 mentioned above.

Fortunately, there are third party applications that will do this. The one I am currently using is called Applock (do a search). It works great, and on top of it, I found a free version on the web.