Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It was the eighth consecutive quarter of year-over-year double-digit revenue growth, the company said, adding that it will be introducing its Treo 700w smartphone based on Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Mobile operating system.

It also plans to announce three new smartphones during calendar year 2005.

Palm said it shipped more than 1 million Treo phones in the first half of its calendar 2006, which is just shy of all the Treos it shipped in fiscal year 2005.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuot...0386785_newsml
  2.    #2  
    *DJ Palm To Roll Out Treo 700w, 3 More Smartphones In '06

(MORE TO FOLLOW) Dow Jones Newswires
    December 20, 2005 16:39 ET (21:39 GMT)
    Copyright (c) 2005 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.- - 04 39 PM EST 12-20-05
  3.    #3  
    Palm also mentioned new radio technology for the new smartphones and they are working with a large (un-named as of now) European carrier that will have this particular new smartphone.
    Is that 3G? Well I hope they redeem themselves in 2006. The question is, how long do we have to wait for these other phones besides the 700w?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Is that 3G? Well I hope they redeem themselves in 2006. The question is, how long do we have to wait for these other phones besides the 700w?

Don't know yet, they said new radio technology. They also said expect smartphones around the world with UMTS, CDM and GSMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack
    Palm said it shipped more than 1 million Treo phones in the first half of its calendar 2006, which is just shy of all the Treos it shipped in fiscal year 2005.
    First half of 2006? Oh hell, my calendar has been wrong all year!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    I told you not to buy that calendar from the kid on the corner handwriting the dates in.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    Palm's fiscal calendar 2006 (fiscal year 2006) started June 1st, 2005 and ends on May 31st 2006.
    I never understood the fiscal year thing. Why is it 6 months ahead of the actual year? Does it have something to do with profit projections?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10.    #10  
    I never understood the fiscal year thing. Why is it 6 months ahead of the actual year? Does it have something to do with profit projections?
    Its the year in which all business activity is performed.
    The US Federal Govt fiscal year starts Oct 1st and ends Sept 30th.

Most companies fiscal year starts and ends in a calendar year (Jan-Dec)

Palms starts June 1st (I dont know why but it may be due to the co. being formed at that time of year.
    Many tech companies choose a June FY because of the sales cycle. Your fourth quarter is obviously the last quarter to make your yearly goals. You wouldn't want that to be in December because your corporate customers are probably more focused on closing out their years and people are either out on vacation or buying gifts (plus there is Thanksgiving during that quarter as well).

Likewise you wouldn't want a FY that ended in Sept. because the people who make the purchase decisions (C-Level Execs and others) are out on summer vacations with their families. Since most tech purchasing decisions are not spur of the moment decisions for corporations, there is rarely a need for a company to buy it in december instead of say February or March (of course there are exceptions like wanting to spend your budget before you lose it or even the fact that saavy IT departments know that large tech firms will drop their pants to get aby deal in that they can at the end of a quarter or year).

Finally, I'd like to point out that a company can have their FY end on any month they want so long as they are cosistent. Some companies like MRVL (makers of the chips in iPods, XBox, and other consumer oriented tech) or ORCL have really funky year ends like April 30 or Oct. 31. Same business sales cycle logic applies here as well.
    Palm Personal => V => Vx (w/OmniSky) => m505 => Treo 300 => 600 => 650 (free of charge) => 700P (free of charge again!)
    Thanks for the info, NewtonJack and Mansouan! I guess my fiscal year goes by the actual calender.

Well, I hate to break up this FY vs. CY argument, but what boring news. I used to be a huge palm supporter until 2000 when it became clear they were no longer innovators and were happy with where they were. The 700w isn't out yet and it's already being passed by existing devices. When the 700p comes out it will be inferior to other devices out at the time. I love my treo but my loyalty is just about gone.
    It has to do with shifting the work load. Typically, at year end there is a lot of accounting and reporting work to be done to outside entities (banks, regulators, tax collectors) Since the IRS allows corporations to define their fiscal year, corporations can spread some of the reporting and accounting work to the summer - when less calendar year end activity is going on.
    This is good news...If I figure correctly, the models should be: the WinMob 700w, followed by the PalmOS 700p, the Hollywood (slim, internal antennae, stylish, high end) and the Lowrider (cheaper, more consumer/teen targeted). Hopefully Palm can get the compatibility pretty high between models, and we should see a great market the coming year.

@ wbalzz33 - you are down on Treo and Palm, what are your suggestions for an alternate device that I should look into?
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    The Hollywood model is calling my name.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Having worked in the software world for awhile, I will tell you that the sales cycle definitely is a big driver of the June fiscal year. Also, I just re-watched the original 700w announcement on CNET..the one with gates, verizon, and MSFT present and they did actually say that the 700w would be the first device to run 3G on verizon so I guess that answers the question as to whether or not it's 3G.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtt
    Lowrider (cheaper, more consumer/teen targeted). Hopefully Palm can get the compatibility pretty high between models, and we should see a great market the coming year.
    I have always said that if Palm wants to continue to be successful they should offer a lower end model instead of leaving it all open for MS Smartphone OS phones. They have just missed such a HUGE portion, in fact dare I say the lion share, of the cell phone market place for so long....I just can't believe they waited so long.
    btw, one of the other 3 phones might not make it to the US, it is being built for a large european telco.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  20. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    btw, one of the other 3 phones might not make it to the US, it is being built for a large european telco.
    That would be Hollywood (which Sagio's report said that Cingular might pick it up). There would probably still be an unlocked version that could be ordered from Palm and used in the US. That's always been feasible (if you're using a GSM carrier).
    Last edited by Q; 12/21/2005 at 01:20 PM.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast