Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    The 3G would not work however, and if its triband only the 850Mhz frequency would not be available.

Surur
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The 3G would not work however, and if its triband only the 850Mhz frequency would not be available.

Surur
    That depends--if the radio is tailored to this European carrier, ok. If, on the other hand, Palm wants to standardize on one UMTS/HSDPA radio worldwide (a l the 600 and 650 each having a standardized quad-band radio for all GSM units) then both the 3G and 850 would work fine here. Obviously, that's what I'm hoping for. We'll see what it turns out to be.

It makes sense, IMO, for Palm to standardize radios to the extent possible. It's more straightforward and cost-effective overall for Palm, it allows all the carriers more ability to promote overseas roaming agreements, and lets the user keep using a his or her device rather than renting/buying a prepaid phone, etc. Unless a carrier or a model's specs require otherwise, Palm is likely to say "Why not?"
    Last edited by Q; 12/21/2005 at 02:34 PM.
    I sure hope that Palm can continue to sell Treo 650's and 700's and prevent the Osborn affect.

I'm very excitied about the future of the Palm hardware... but i'm weary that the OS the hardware uses is going to become the weak link in the new Palm hardware over all.

Timmay
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I would love to see a 700p with EV-DO and a solid web browser, to me that would make my Palm complete. What I run into those is the more I think about, if you include EV-DO and a better web browser, I remember reading or hearing some where that the current Palm OS doesn't support those, so I guess the 700p would have to have a totally new OS. So whats gonna happen?
    UMTS is 2100 Mhz in Europe, and 1900 Mhz in USA. I do not know if a dual band UMTS radio even exists.
    (PS: They do, but I would be really surprised if Palm deployed such a high-end solution).

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I have always said that if Palm wants to continue to be successful they should offer a lower end model instead of leaving it all open for MS Smartphone OS phones. They have just missed such a HUGE portion, in fact dare I say the lion share, of the cell phone market place for so long....I just can't believe they waited so long.
    They might be too late, ms smartphones are really starting to gain momentum. I have already spotted 3-4 new ones just recently released.
    I wonder if the Hollywood version will have a qwerty? That could make a big difference
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212
    They might be too late, ms smartphones are really starting to gain momentum. I have already spotted 3-4 new ones just recently released.
    I wonder if the Hollywood version will have a qwerty? That could make a big difference
    Seeing as all Treo models except the 180g have had keyboards, I'd expect that Colligan would have referred to it (obliquely) if Hollywood didn't. Looks more like it'll be similar to the Motorola Q and Nokia E61, only with a touchscreen.

MS Smartphones (sic) gaining momentum? Which new ones? (Bear in mind that "Smartphone" here refers to phones like the MPX-200/220, Audiovox SMT-5600 and other similar models--sometimes the same ones OEMed by a company like HTC and sold under various names and brands. We're talking small, typical-phone size devices with bigger-than average screens--not touchscreens, though--memory card slots, ability to store more data than an average phone, more multimedia capability, etc.) I could see Palm taking one of two approaches with Lowrider.

1) Pare down the Treo 600/650, leaving the square screen, the keyboard, the navigator... makes sense for the people who like the Treo and hold back because "it just costs too much" for them; some of the people who keep older Palms even as they replace phones.

2) Put out a new (from scratch) form factor designed to compete more directly with the MS Smartphone (sic) line, since the current Treo tends to be in the middle in terms of specs. This one might remove the touchscreen and just use the navigator; maybe even remove the built-in keyboard and have an add-on one.

One of the rumors going around, too, is that one of Palm's new devices will be running Linux. My vote is for Lowrider, since we haven't yet seen anything from PalmSource about PalmLinux (or whatever they'll call it); also, with Lowrider as a more basic phone, they could just replicate enough of the interface for it to look consistent with previous Palms. If Palm were to do that in-house, Linux would be the obvious basis (cost-wise). While I'd be surprised to see this approach, you never know.

Brighthand recently did a "first look" at the Q and the point that really jumped out at me was the inclination to tap on the screen. I've seen a little of this with the MPXes and SMT-5600; here, though, because this device is closer to a Treo design, it seems much stronger.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Mo...st_Impressions
    Quote Originally Posted by Q

MS Smartphones (sic) gaining momentum? Which new ones?
    Samsung i300
    i-Mate SP5m
    Cingular 2125
    Orange SPV C600
    HP iPAQ SmartPhone rw4500
    Quote Originally Posted by wballz33
    Well, I hate to break up this FY vs. CY argument, but what boring news. I used to be a huge palm supporter until 2000 when it became clear they were no longer innovators and were happy with where they were. The 700w isn't out yet and it's already being passed by existing devices. When the 700p comes out it will be inferior to other devices out at the time. I love my treo but my loyalty is just about gone.
    I'm unhappy with the 700w myself. It's a bit too bare bones considering what else is out there.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    FIX THE DAMN EARPIERCE AND SPEAKERPHONE

I could give a crap about Wi-Fi. The phone on the Treo sucks.

They have to make the earpierce and speakerphone volume to at least be as loud as the Blackberry. Try talking on a Treo in a restaurant. You can't anything

- make the volume on the earpierce louder
    - make the volume on the speakerphone louder
    - make the battery case cover tigher
    - make the phone not randomly restart all the time
    - make Fonts OS built in the OS

That's it !!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I have always said that if Palm wants to continue to be successful they should offer a lower end model instead of leaving it all open for MS Smartphone OS phones. They have just missed such a HUGE portion, in fact dare I say the lion share, of the cell phone market place for so long....I just can't believe they waited so long.
    MS smartphones don't have many lower end options IMO. I have barely seen them under $250(and the $250 models were with contract). By lower end, do you mean under $400? I have seen several for about $300(with contract).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212
    Samsung i300
    i-Mate SP5m
    Cingular 2125
    Orange SPV C600
    HP iPAQ SmartPhone rw4500
    I've seen all but the first and last one(am Googling for them now). Here's another not technically released in the US, but really cool and you can get it unlocked.
    http://www.dweiniger.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=117

I just noticed it's similar to the i-mate SP5 but with wi-fi, which I think some carriers blocked on the SP5. The other version of the SP5m is also on that site, but with wi-fi(same situation as the SP5). Smartphones with built-in wi-fi!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/21/2005 at 04:16 PM.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "I could give a crap about Wi-Fi. The phone on the Treo sucks."

I hear you. I started a thread about this a few days back. I think the consensus was that wifi is only worth a crap for people who can't afford good data plans or are in markets which don't have good coverage. Since decent data plans are only getting cheaper, more widespread, and faster, wifi is backward looking instead of forward.

I vote for more memory and a better browser. Palm OS is out of date too, so if I go treo again, it will be with Windows.
    My Treo's speakerphone and volume are better than one on the Blackberry I have for work. Maybe you need to get yours checked.

There needs to be a lot more price competition before decent data plans get to the $10 a month I pay with Sprint. People kick and scream when a phone costs an extra $100 in a one time cost, but they are fine with an extra $50 a month? Who can generally afford a $60 a month data plan on top of the voice charges? At that point my Sprint bill will be more than my cable and Internet bill combined. That's affordable?

Plus, once entire cities are blanketed with wi-fi, wi-fi is very forward looking.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "Plus, once entire cities are blanketed with wi-fi, wi-fi is very forward looking."

Right. Like they are really going to blanket a entire city like, say, Kansas City with WiFi. (Yeah, I know about the Baltimore Inner Harbor and Google's plan for San Francisco. These are rather isolated cases.) You have any clue how many hotspots that would require to extend even moderately out into the burbs in a typical Midwest City? And don't forget about the highways outwards. You just keep holding your breath for this to happen, ok? And let's not even talk about the battery drain. A Treo with a 8 hour standby time with the WiFi on? That's really useful.

WiFi is great for your house and office. It sure beats running wires to your desktop or laptop. But it is horrible for device whose sine qua non lies in its connectivity, anywhere, anytime, all the time.

In a few years, I see WiFi on cell phones only useful for the interior of building where cell reception doesn't reach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    MS smartphones don't have many lower end options IMO. I have barely seen them under $250(and the $250 models were with contract). By lower end, do you mean under $400? I have seen several for about $300(with contract).
    Yes, actually. I guess I it would have been more accurate to say middle of the road. Not just a flip open and only can make a call and take a picture phone for $74. But not a full PDA cell phone convergence device running $600.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q
    MS Smartphones (sic) gaining momentum? Which new ones?
    It doesn't matter if they are all the same phone by HTC or not......the middle market is becoming more and more dominated by MS Smartphone OS. An area that Palm is not just losing, but simply giving it away for free!
    Do you think that one of the 3 new treo's will be for the nextel network now that sprint owns them ?
    Push to talk would be great
    Brighthand seems to provide some clarity on what will be released when by Palm:
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Pa...6_II?site=Palm

Time will tell whether they're right.
    if this is true in the article
    "The first, code-named Hollywood, will run the Palm OS and use a very thin design with no external antenna.It will be released during the second quarter of 2006 by Verizon Wireless, and will support that company's EV-DO high-speed wireless network. "

I think am going to just skip the 700w and just wait for Hollywood
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast