Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

Can I just use the Treo 650, as just a PDA? I don't want to use it as a phone.

Can I just buy a Treo, and not have to sign up for a contract.

Thanks.
    I am pretty sure you can just buy the treo, but if all you are going to use it for is a PDA why not just get a TX?
    Buy a TX if you only need a Palm OS PDA. It's not worth the extra money for a Treo if you don't use the phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    I really, really, like the keyboard.

So I don't have to activate it or anything. I just buy it, and turn it on and it's a PDA?

Thansk for any help.

Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by ktcat555
    I really, really, like the keyboard.

So I don't have to activate it or anything. I just buy it, and turn it on and it's a PDA?

Thansk for any help.

Kate
    Yea, that's a serious waste of $$ and hardware.
    Take a look at getting a Palm Tungsten C if you want a keyboard.
    Kate, what carrier do you use? If Cingular, Verizon or Sprint; switch service to the Treo 650 and get the best of both worlds. It's a waste of about $200-$250 if you don't use the phone. The TX will do all your PDA needs for $300. If you don't activate the Treo, carriers could make you pay I think $400-$550. $550 is almost the price of the unlocked Treo. And if you get that one, you could use it all over the US and Europe(as a PHONE and PDA). It's really no use getting the Treo if you don't want the phone function.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #8  
    Well, I don't have any contracts, and that's the way I would like it to stay.

Are there any Pre-Paid cards that would work with the Treo?

Also, now I'm thinking of getting a Treo 600, I can find them for $150

Thanks for all of your help.
    Cingular will offer pre-paid with their 650. With T-mobile, you need the unlocked, but you can insert their pre-paid SIM. Probably you'd need an unlocked 600 if you want to use Cingular pre-paid(they don't sell it anymore). T-mobile still sells the 600 on their business page. Verizon used to let you go pre-paid on any of their devices, I don't know about now.

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    No way. If you do not need a phone, or don't want an all in one device, the Treo is NOT the way to go. A tungsten C still gives you the keyboard and twice the ram of a treo, as well as Wi-Fi. No antenna either so it is easier to carry around. Don't bother paying for a phone when you don't need one.
    Guys, If money is no object then why not get the most up-to-date device with a keyboard? I would have a hard time going back to a non-keyboard PDA after using my 650. and the tungsten C is just not as nice as the Treo.

Also, it would be nice for ktcat555 to have the option of using it as a phone at a later date, should the need arise.

So, in answer to your initial question ktcat555, yes you can use the Treo 650 as just a PDA and it works incredibly well.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    1. Guys, If money is no object then why not get the most up-to-date device with a keyboard? I would have a hard time going back to a non-keyboard PDA after using my 650. and the tungsten C is just not as nice as the Treo.

2. Also, it would be nice for ktcat555 to have the option of using it as a phone at a later date, should the need arise.
    So, in answer to your initial question ktcat555, yes you can use the Treo 650 as just a PDA and it works incredibly well.
    1. That would be a WM5 device.

2. If she does that, she should then get the unlocked Treo 650, which is $600. Still a lot for just part time phone usage. You can get PDAs that have wi-fi for that price(or even $100 less).

Even if money is no object, spent wisely, it goes further. People who **** away money usually end up paying for it in the end.

OK enough of the lecture.

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Tungsten C - OS 5.2.1
    Ram - 64mb
    400mhz processor
    320x320 display
    keyboard
    wi-fi

Pretty up to date. Definately more up to date than the treo 650.
    Yes,of course you can however I would think it might even be better to buy a standalone PDA.Since you are not interested in contracts,then you will be paying the suggested retail price ,which I believe is somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 with most carriers,and around $600 for an unlocked gsm direct from Palm (there are other retailers offering for slightly less).Or activate/renew with Cingular and do their refurbished deal-am just about to do that for my father's line -to finally get him away from his Tungsten W which has been dying a slow death.

If you intend to use it as a phone,then it makes sense,as the cost of the Treo would likely be less than buying a PDA and mobile,however if you really want it just as a PDA,you could get more bang for your buck from a non keyboard Palm and then just add a keyboard (more memory ,wi-fi,etc).

Going for a 600 may be a reasonable compromise from a pricing standpoint.If I weren't using the Treo I would probably still be using my Vx or by now would have opted for the TX or LifeDrive (I was pretty quick with my graffiti strokes back in the day,so the keyboard is not crucial for me).Now,the keyboard is critical,because of the email volume,otherwise I don't think I'd find it that useful-in fact I still find myself instinctively trying to enter appointments using grafitti.
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    Tungsten C - OS 5.2.1
    Ram - 64mb
    400mhz processor
    320x320 display
    keyboard
    wi-fi

Pretty up to date. Definately more up to date than the treo 650.
    I agree, and I think that would be the best choice.
    An unlocked GSM does work great with pre-paid cards. If you like the Treo form factor the whole issue of worth is what you are willing to pay. if you are willing to pay for it and feel it is worth it get it. I love my Treo as a PDA the phone and Internet are the bonus.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Even if money is no object, spent wisely, it goes further. People who **** away money usually end up paying for it in the end.
    I don't think ktcat555 needs to be told how to spend money wisely (do you?).

Although I agree that from a technical standpoint the Tungsten C is a sensible choice, given the option I would go for the 650 because:

A) I prefer the thumbboard and size of the 650
    B) The 650's screen is better
    C) The Tungsten's 5-way controller is not ergonomically placed
    D) The 650 is just better, so there! [sticks tongue out]
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I am going to have to agree, that if ktcat555 wants to spend the money on a Treo and not use it as a phone, that is her choice, but the C would be a better bet then, I am sure they are going for a decent price on eBay or something. Even a new C would be cheaper! Plus as they said the C has a bigger processor and double the RAM!
    I don't think ktcat555 needs to be told how to spend money wisely (do you?). Although I agree that from a technical standpoint the Tungsten C is a sensible choice, given the option I would go for the 650 because:

Don't take what I said as gospel. I have gadget fever myself. I just hate to see $500-$600 spent and not used to it's full potential. I still think a device with wi-fi is better for that amount of money, if you don't want a phone. At least you can check email, thus using your PDA to it's full potential. With the 650, you have to have some type of service connection to check email, right?

I don't think ktcat555 needs to be told how to spend money wisely (do you?).

Although I agree that from a technical standpoint the Tungsten C is a sensible choice, given the option I would go for the 650 because:

E) The camera - stills and movies!

The idea of a Treo 650 solely as a PDA did sound a bit extreme to me at first, but the ability to use the GSM unlocked model with pre-paid SIM cards is a nice ace to have tucked up your sleeve.
    Last edited by rambo47; 12/21/2005 at 08:33 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast