Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With all the hype about the new 700w where can I get the lowdown, simple comparison of how windows functions on the Treo compared with how we all know Palm OS functons on the treo? I want to upgrade from my 600 to the next best model, but will have to mke a smart choice between windows or Palm which I am already comfortable with for years.
    I am going to interject my opinion here- but the current Palm OS is vastly inferior to 2003SE and WM5. If palm can ever get cobalt off the ground than things might get exciting, but as of now it is not even close.

The treo one-handedness keeps it going- and now that those features are being built into the 700w the palm version has very little going for it.

I think that those peopel who try our a WM device are shocked at just how good they are.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I have to agree with robber here. Microsoft has far more programmers than Palmone and palm source. They have the largest developer community - spread across the world and in this game, the one with the most programmers/developers will win.
    I have never used the WM OS. So I can't provide my personal opinion. However, I found the following article on CNET. Old, but it might help you a bit.

PDA Prizefight
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I am also a long time palm user although I have dabbled in PPC. I think "vastly superior" is a bit exaggerated. There is NOTHING that one can do that the other does not. The windows version may sync a bit better with outlook. The palm has TONS of software available at reasonable prices.
    Don't get me wrong. Palm learned lots from the 600 and 650 and the 700 has some features that were missing. I assume the 700p will as well if it ever shows itself. Docs to Go is superior to PocketWord.
    If you need to buy now I would probably say go windows. But if you have some patience and lots invested in your software, sticking with palm might be a better choice. Windows, Palm, Mac, Linux... I don't care what anyone says they all crash sometimes, especially when we begin running 3rd party software.

My 650 runs 95% perfectly
    My Tablet PC runs about 93% perfectly as long as it is clean of virus and spyware.
    My Apple iBook is about 96% although the Apple network it is on is at about 85%.
    They all work... it is really a preference thing.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    There is NOTHING that one can do that the other does not.
    Not true... this may be a rare case, but I have a Windows Media Center PC, and I'd like to take my recorded TV with me... Windows makes it easy to downsample the files to WMV files, but there are no media players that can handle that in the Palm world.

ORB networks has this great service that will stream all your media (video, music, photos) over the internet from your home PC... This requires a WMV-capable media player as well.

PocketTunes on the Palm OS will stream mp3s, but not video.

Needless to say, I await a 700w with baited breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    I am going to interject my opinion here- but the current Palm OS is vastly inferior to 2003SE and WM5. If palm can ever get cobalt off the ground than things might get exciting, but as of now it is not even close.

The treo one-handedness keeps it going- and now that those features are being built into the 700w the palm version has very little going for it.

I think that those peopel who try our a WM device are shocked at just how good they are.

WM5 is harder for newcomers to use, due to lack of documentation. It assumes you should already know what you're doing. Not for a newcomer. Palm OS is more intuitive. WM5 is also somewhat slow and unresponsive. Also there's already an Active Sync update. Typical Windows, not getting it right the first time.

The thing that makes WM5 devices better are the features, not necessarily the OS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Re: 700 WM This will be the first time in 6 phone releases I am not jumping both feet first. I am going to watch from the sidelines and make my decision. The 650 was a terrible release compared to others, I may sit the 700 out until the jury comes back (unless they give me a killer price as they did with the 650 )
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I am looking forward to the Linux-based version of the Palm OS.
    Actually, the 650 is all we have if we want a Palm OS(the latest version anyway) phone. WM5 phones however, are far more diverse. The 700w is just another contender IMO. And there's really nothing special about it except form factor.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    True lady, except for one handed 5-button nav. It's my understanding that the 700w is a adapting the windows mobile around it. If they do that well, then that will be the major factor for the 700w.
    For me Windows in any form, will only be run on a PC, never on a PDA or Smartphone.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Get out the can and string then because unless Palm makes an announcement soon, the 650 will be the last Palm OS phone for a while. WM5 is running over Palm OS with all the device releases. to Palm for their slowness or apathy with the Palm OS, whichever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Get out the can and string then because unless Palm makes an announcement soon, the 650 will be the last Palm OS phone for a while. WM5 is running over Palm OS with all the device releases. to Palm for their slowness or apathy with the Palm OS, whichever it is.
    Unless you've ignored all the hype plastered all over these forums about a "700p" I can't quite understand your assumptions that "the 650 will be the last Palm OS phone for a while." I do admit not one picture has even remotely leaked let alone the specs of this mysterious 700p but a few credible sources have gone on record stating its imminent release.
    Because nothing came from Palm directly. Rumors are just that, rumors, not facts. Show me the proof like they did with the WM Treo. When I saw actual announcements, not rumors, then I believed it. The 700p rumors are all over the board, but nothing concrete. In the meantime, all the WM5 device rumors have actually materialized.
    Can someone show me a CREDIBLE link that the 700p rumors are almost fact? And what version of Palm OS is the 700p supposed to have?

LOL, *sigh*, yeah I already have set aside an empty can of Campbell's Vegetable Soup and I'll be going with 5lb fishing line for the cord.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    True lady, except for one handed 5-button nav. It's my understanding that the 700w is a adapting the windows mobile around it. If they do that well, then that will be the major factor for the 700w.

Best comment yet. Hits it on the nose.

The question is: Can Palm do the one-handed thing WELL with WM5? Nobody nose.
    Because nothing came from Palm directly. Rumors are just that, rumors, not facts. Show me the proof like they did with the WM Treo. When I saw actual announcements, not rumors, then I believed it. The 700p rumors are all over the board, but nothing concrete. In the meantime, all the WM5 device rumors have actually materialized.
    Can someone show me a CREDIBLE link that the 700p rumors are almost fact? And what version of Palm OS is the 700p supposed to have?
    This site claims new Palm Treo at the END of next year. I'll have WM5 devices already if that's true. The Hollywood is supposed to run Palm OS(I hope it's a new version), but will be on Verizon. To me, until I hear the official announcements, this is just more rumors.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Pa...6_II?site=Palm

19. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    This site claims new Palm Treo at the END of next year. I'll have WM5 devices already if that's true. The Hollywood is supposed to run Palm OS(I hope it's a new version), but will be on Verizon. To me, until I hear the official announcements, this is just more rumors.

As I've said elsewhere, this article has things mixed up. If Verizon is getting Hollywood, then 1) they haven't mentioned it along with the 700w (and the description doesn't jive with the pictures we've seen of the 700w) and 2) Palm had to do two designs, one with the UMTS radio for Europe and one for CDMA here. Then why offer the bigger form factor of the 700w (with no added features, like WiFi or GPS) along with it? Why not just standardize on the Hollywood form factor for all the carriers?

What the Sagio report said makes more sense to me--Hollywood is UMTS/HSDPA, designed for European carriers and Cingular for the US. Whether T-Mobile will get it after passing on the 650 is anyone's guess.

Plus, the smaller size would likely mean a big drop in battery life on CDMA. The Razr has a much shorter battery life than other Motorola GSM phones--I'm surprised there's a CDMA one coming. If the Motorola Q is coming to Verizon, I'm wondering how much battery life it will have...

LadyTreo--I agree that a lot of this is still just rumor. The one point from the Brighthand article that I hope to be true is of Hollywood running Palm OS rather than WinMob.

Since it's come up before that Palm OS devices have a low marketshare in Europe, the question in my mind is this: is the cause more the OS or the hardware (i.e. factors like external antennas, physical size, etc.)? Hollywood, according to the rumors, is supposed to address the physical points. We'll have to see if Palm decided "Let's go with the OS that's used more there" or "Let's make a more compelling case for Palm OS"--either of which, if they have a good device, has potential.
    Last edited by Q; 12/22/2005 at 11:21 AM.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    ...The Hollywood is supposed to run Palm OS(I hope it's a new version), but will be on Verizon. ...

Please be right, Lady.
    Please be right, Lady.
    Please be right, Lady.
    Please be right, Lady.
    Please be right, Lady.
    Please be right, Lady.
    How many times do I have to say it to make it true?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast