Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ed from Brighthand's case wasn't very strong, and he changed the article so it shows less conviction.

This report in Forbes makes it clear that Palm is putting out a Treo 650 replacement with EV-DO support around the middle of next year.
    I and plenty of other people -- including Palm -- wouldn't call a Windows Mobile device a Treo 650 replacement.

A second report to Engadget gives a description of a model, code-named Hollywood, that's coming out at roughly the same time. This device has the other details I gave in this article.

It doesn't take a huge leap of logic to realize that these reports almost surely must be talking about the same smartphone.

If you're going to argue that Hollywood and this device are different devices, then you must fit all the rumors of new Palm smartphones into the inarguable fact that Colligan said his company is going to announce three and only three new smartphones next year.

I suppose, if you wanted to be particularly pedantic, you could argue that I'm making a judgment call here. But that's why I put this information under the heading "Unofficial Info." And we're talking about rumors here, so a certain amount of interpretation is called for.

Plus, at this point, we have descriptions for three Treos that aren't the Treo 700w. That fits in with Colligan's comment. Any other interpretations of these rumors has to keep this in mind.

Still, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Ed
    Editor-in-Chief
    Brighthand
    http://discussion.brighthand.com/sho...hreadid=121653

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    [b]WM5 is harder for newcomers to use, due to lack of documentation. It assumes you should already know what you're doing. Not for a newcomer. Palm OS is more intuitive. WM5 is also somewhat slow and unresponsive. Also there's already an Active Sync update. Typical Windows, not getting it right the first time.b]
    I am not sure that I agree with you here.... First off, wm devices mimick their desktop counterparts much closer than the palm os does. So assuming that someone has not used either- I would imagine that the ppc will be much more familiar out of the box.

Re activesync, it almost seems like you are suggesting that the treo never needed to be updated. I needed to wait 4 months to update my 650 before the person I was talking to could even understand me!~Anyone that was using the 650 a year ago today can verify that!
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I have been using Windows desktop since the 95 version and still had to go under "Help" quite a few times on WM5. I also had to figure out some stuff for myself because "Help" was no help! I also had to ask for help from a WM2003 user and then HE got a bit confused with the new WM5! On the Palm OS, I didn't need to ask anyone for help.

I know that the Treo 650 had to be updated SEVERAL times. One of Palm's great shortcomings. But it's typical Windows to keep "fixing" software that should have been fixed BEFORE they released it.

Well WM5 does look good.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What been happening cglaguna? I too will probably sit the 700 out. Last year was the pits. Also, I want broadband. As you WELL know, I am on Cingular "small band."

I am going to CES tomorrow. I will check out Palm's booth and see if I can coerce any new info. Good to see you are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Re: 700 WM This will be the first time in 6 phone releases I am not jumping both feet first. I am going to watch from the sidelines and make my decision. The 650 was a terrible release compared to others, I may sit the 700 out until the jury comes back (unless they give me a killer price as they did with the 650 )
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by corysimek
    With all the hype about the new 700w where can I get the lowdown, simple comparison of how windows functions on the Treo compared with how we all know Palm OS functons on the treo? I want to upgrade from my 600 to the next best model, but will have to mke a smart choice between windows or Palm which I am already comfortable with for years.
    Here's Walt Mossberg's take...

http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html
    Walter Mossberg's column in the Wall St Journal today does a pretty good job. ev-do, poorer resolution, better camera for Windows. Poorer email handling, not as easy to access functions, however.

His ultimate conclusion was that he liked the 650 better. The one thing that impressed him on the 700W was the internet browsing speed.
    Last edited by Mark Squires; 01/05/2006 at 07:15 PM.
    This sucks. I wish Palm would release a official statment that confirms or denies the use of a updated Palm OS. I hope the 650 replacement is not a 650 with EV-DO support, BT 1.2 and 64mb with a new name (700p) That would be a sad day.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    This sucks. I wish Palm would release a official statment that confirms or denies the use of a updated Palm OS. I hope the 650 replacement is not a 650 with EV-DO support, BT 1.2 and 64mb with a new name (700p) That would be a sad day.
    Add wi-fi support and a few tweaks (like support for larger SD cards) and actually---I'd pretty much be happy with that....
    I bet it will be!! Small updates are what Palm seems to go for on the Treo. But it'd be nice if they can throw in some wi-fi support like the 700w(built-in wi-fi would be cooler though), along with what you mentioned. Some updates to the OS would be nice too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

But really, what else do you think they should put in the 700P?
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Stick with palm unless your employer wants you to use a windows mobile device.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12