1.    #1  
    (sorry for the long post, but I am trying to come to term with my step back from the treo)

In the past few months, I have exprienced more and more dropped calls on my Sprint 650 (I live in Chicago). For awhile, I wrote it off as growing pains as a result of the sprint/nextel merger. Then, I starting talking to my friends about their sprint service. They noticed no changes due to the merger, everything was fine. I started thinking, could it really be my beloved 650??? I called sprint, had them flag my treo for the system upgrade, yada, yada, yada. No change. In fact, it's gotten worse.

So, today I started looking for a new phone. But I started thinking, I depend on my treo for so many things besides voice calls, such as using Chatter for e-mail (my main function besides calls), text messaging, watching shows & movies ....how was I going to part with losing all of those great 650 features? I called an expedited sprint serivce phone number they gave me awhile ago (supposedly for "valued" customers who have been sprint loyalists for a long time like myself). I was lucky enough to get a rep who really knew what she was doing. I talked to her about my options and we came up with the best solution.

I bought the Samsung A900 (has gotten reasonably good reviews, we'll see...) that I will now add as a secondary phone. Then, I am going to do an esn swap and carry my phone number from my treo to the new samsung and get a new phone number for my treo. Both will share my minutes from my plan. Since the reason I got the A900 in the first place was for voice calls, I will never use my treo as a "phone" any longer. However, I am still retaining my vision package on my treo so I can use it for emails, directory assistance, vindigo, etc. etc.

All along, I was thinking, damn, this is going to cost me A LOT more. Nope. Gina, the delightful rep, gave me a 25% discount on my service. Now, I get all of the same plan features I had before (1000 minutes, nights at 8, PCS to PCS free, unlimited text) all for only less than $10 more a month. As an added bonus, she even upgraded my minutes from 1000 to 1200!! So a second line and 200 more minutes all for less than $10!!! She even waived my activation fee for the new phone.

I am so excited. Hopefully, I have a decent phone that works and all of the great featuures of my treo at my disposal. To top it all off, she even gave me the A900 for $200 (the new customer price) instead of $349 (which they probably do for anyone who gets a second line), but I wasn't counting on it when I called.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm really hoping this is the solution. I can't stand talking to people and get the dreaded "Network signal has faded" message any longer. Its really embarassing...people have always commented on my treo and how cool it is, but I can't even carry on a conversation anymore without it dropping the call. Or, sitting there watching tv and all of a sudden a call came thru that when straight to VM (happens all the time now, nut because of chatter either). Maybe I'll try out the 700w when it arrives, but until then, I am not depending on my treo for calls any longer.
    That's too bad. This is almost like going back to 2 devices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It is going back to 2 devices :-(
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

4. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Yeah, I lugged my phone and Palm around for too many years, I don't know if I could go back, especially if I knew that one of my devices was supposed to be able to do it all. Sorry to hear that your Treo is not working out. Did you try swapping it out for another Treo? Maybe yours is defective.
    Last week, I traded my Treo 650 for a refurbished one. I had noticed a gradual deterioration in the phone's ability to lock in to Sprint's cellular coverage. The technician at Sprint told me that my Treo failed the transmission test. With the new Treo, I get four bars where I used to get two. It works much better. The refurbished phone is in perfect shape - much nicer than my old beat up version. Sometimes, things just fade away and need to be replaced.

Just my two cents.

Paul
    Not a $500-$600 phone that's only about 1 year old.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Actually, not true - it can happen. Although we don't really think of the 650 electronics as being "mechanical" that tend to wear out over time, it actually is. In fact, all electronics can and do wear over time due to electrical/semiconductor physics effects. The symptoms might not make it look that way, but sometimes things just stop working (or work poorly) for some non-obvious reason.

I'm sure that all manufacturers involved the 650 components do extensive testing before each component is shipped, but no one can guarantee perfection and sometimes things slip through. Typically, failures happen early in the component lifetime due to a hidden manufacturing defect or very late in the lifetime due to component wearout. That's why manufacturers design and test for the "edges" - e.g. -40 degrees C to 115 degrees C, X year lifetime assuming Y% use, below sea level to 10,000 ft elevation, etc.

Even with all the testing, strange things happen. That's why pokada's experience doesn't surprise me too much - remember these are expensive but also complex devices and sometimes things just go wrong.
    IMO, that's unacceptable. Many people cannot afford $500 every year for a new device. A device that costs that much needs to last longer than 1 year. I can see a $100 phone turning crappy after a year maybe, but not a $500 device. But even so, my ordinary cell phones usually are ready to be dumped around 2 years(and I still have some even AFTER 2 years), not 1.

I agree with you - especially with expensive "toys". That's why there is a warranty period and sometimes that warranty period can be stretched if you are seen as a loyal customer or can plead successfully with customer service. When it happens, the manufacturer should make a swap available as in pokada's case.

I was referring to something that happens in .05% of the components - iow, 99.95% of things are fine for years longer than you'll use it. My point was that it *can* happen.
    On this board, it seems about 40% of the Treo owners have their hardware screwed up somehow. Maybe this board is skewed because this is where people having problems go for help, but it sometimes appears as though Palm should have had better quality control.

True on both counts. If you've happened to read the threads on the 600 screen problems (yellow random splotches), that definitely seems like a QC/early-failure-rate problem to me. I read somewhere that Palm switch LCD vendors just because of that. So far at least, I haven't read about anything similar on the 650's.
    I was one of the people Palm sent a new 650 SIM tray to. Apparently it's an admission something was wrong with the old one. Although I don't know what.

Other people report volume problems, connector problems, etc., all having to do with hardware.

Very, very true. I've got to admit that all the (mainly) GSM Treo problems makes you seriously question Palm QC processes since the problems have been so common. The sim tray was definitely a hardware problem - it seems it just wasn't designed to the right specs since a workaround was to stuff 3 slips of paper behind it so it would make contact.

I just plain hate the new connector - even my Palm OEM sync/charger cable doesn't always make a solid connection.

With the 600, it seemed less surprising to have issues since it was a dramatically new converged device - even more so than my rock-solid 300. Given they've had all the 300 and 600 learning, I am surprised the 650 has had so many problems. The kinks should have been worked out by now.
    I find it intesresting and somewhat unique that you are replacing the Treo as a phone. That is probably the one app that is half way stable, not to say that when your phone is resetting, because of some other app, it can still be used as a phone, because it can't. Just seems like your problem should have been fixable, unlike so many of the other mystery problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Not a $500-$600 phone that's only about 1 year old.
    I wish that it didn't happen. But I am glad that we have a one year warranty to cover exactly these kinds of problems. I was pleased with the Sprint people in that there was absolutely no question regarding proof of purchase. They were very helpful. At the "bleeding edge" of technology we have to put up with some inconveniences. This is the price of progress. I'd rather be here with a refurbished, good as new Treo 650, than walking around with two devices on my belt.

On another note, a truck driver walked in to the store while I was there. He had driven over his flip phone with his 18 wheeler. It was totally trashed. The same guy who helped me out told him that it would cost $3 to replace his phone - that's what it would cost to sign up for the phone insurance plan. The truck driver had a nice smile on his face...

Sincerely,

Paul