1.    #1  
    Lately, life consists of installing and uninstalling apps. Something is wrong--diagnosed by Treo tech support as a corrupt backup folder--that keeps playing havoc with apps.

First, Docs to Go would reboot the PDA whenever docs were backed out of, back to main menu. I deleted the savedpreferences.prc at great cost in time and effort. That fixed DTG.

THEN, inbox developed a problem. Trying to attach something to an email would cause the same problem, rebooting the pDA.

Palm says to do yet another hard reset of the PDA, and then rename the backup folder. That means that much of my apps will not be restored, and they will all have to be reinstalled bit, by bit, by bit.

At this point--I simply refuse to do that.

I don't see why there can't be any way to diagnose what is causing this and fix it without deleting everything in sight. Would someone dealing with a desktop computer user throw up their hands and say, "Well, reformat your HDD and just reinstall everything...?"

If this is the only answer, I have to say--I've had it with Palm OS and welcome to windows. I'm just totally disgusted. If I go to Windows, there are Palm competitors you have to look at too, so if their "what me worry" stance involves dumping the Palm OS they should think twice.

In any event, rants aside, does anyone have a clue as to how to dx this without my having to reinstall 20 3rd party apps?
    As far as I know, it is difficult or not possible to determine what software has been corrupted and is causing the problems, thus their recommedation of a "clean install."

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...051#post860051

As you add your 3rd party software back, one at a time,(I would suggest one day at a time) you can then find out if it is a particular piece of software that is causing the problem, rather than just a corruption... .. . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/19/2005 at 05:30 AM.
    About desktops, actually Dell has told people to reformat their hard drive. They don't want to go through the trouble of helping to actually diagnose the problem anymore. Of course, this could be because tech support really isn't anymore.

But Palm is not alone with the clean install answer. Although they could be correct in this case. Try it and see what happens before you run over to Windows. PPCs probably can screw up too, it IS Windows afterall.

And did this start happening after you installed some new software? Maybe that was the culprit, so don't reinstall it and see what happens.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    About desktops, actually Dell has told people to reformat their hard drive. They don't want to go through the trouble of helping to actually diagnose the problem anymore. Of course, this could be because tech support really isn't anymore. .
    Yes, that is the answer and the problem there. Tech Support is defined these days as doing everything possible to make sure consumers get off the phone and stop bothering you with the annoying reports of flaws in your software.

I have a lot of 3rd p apps---just no idea what caused this or even when it kicked in. I noticed it first in Docs to Go, but uninstalling that didn't help. DTG is frequently problematic. But there's also eReader, MobiPocket, Ptunes, BDicty, AvantGo, FileZ, Card Export, Parker in your Palm, Rt Back Up, Backgammon, Scrabble, Tetris, Pocket Chess, GRX View, Kinoma, Splash Photo, Splash Money, iParis, Jot, Mirror, Undupe, Yahoo Messenger. Many of those would seem innocuous. It's hard to see how Tetris or Mirror causes this. But that still leaves a lot of suspects. NONE of those is all that new or recent, either.
    Last edited by Mark Squires; 12/19/2005 at 06:53 AM.