1.    #1  
    I must decide between getting a TX and keeping my Cingular Motorola phone with bluetooth and a Treo. I need to have contacts and records and access them on the road. Any suggestions on the best choice for my needs?
    I had that dilemma a few years ago but I had purchased a Tungsten T3 along with my Motorola v600. It was nice for a little while having a dedicated Palm and phone, but then got cumbersome carrying both. I promptly sold the Palm and ditched the flip phone and bought the Treo 600 (now have the 650). I enjoy having only one device on my body that can do the job of two or more. I will NEVER go back to having seperate devices, even though it does have its advantages to have them seperate. For example, it was really nice to be able to talk on the phone and take notes and look up phone numbers.

Once again, I want to give you my opinion and say that you should get the Treo, I can still take notes and look up contacts as long as I put the caller on speakerphone. Hope this helps.
    It will depend on a few things.

First and foremost, is it comfortable to carry 2 devices? If it's a hassle, Treo.

Second, how much storage do you want? TX has a lot more than the Treo, but a good SD card in the Treo could help that. People here seem to love 1gig cards.

Third, do you need wi-fi? If so, you'll need the TX. If you don't mind Cingular's high data rates and use a lot of data, Treo. But keep in mind, Cingular has now cracked down on people using the cheaper media plans and now you must use the PDA plan. Although I've heard of people cheating and using media plans they put on another phone in the Treo, by switching SIMS. It's just that if they find out, I've heard of $1000 data bills! That will be up to you and your ethics and risk taking. It might be best to just buy the plan to avoid hassles. There's also quicker battery drain with wi-fi, although the convenience is great IMO!

Fourth, the TX has a non-removable battery. That may matter to some, not to others.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by medplanner
    I must decide between getting a TX and keeping my Cingular Motorola phone with bluetooth and a Treo. I need to have contacts and records and access them on the road. Any suggestions on the best choice for my needs?
    I think gtwo had that set up before his 650.
    Treo all the way. I've tried it both ways, more then once. The Treo is the closest thing going right now to that single, ubiquitious, powerful "comm" type device of the future.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    Carrying just one device. . .. . . . . .

Priceless.
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tran_man
    For example, it was really nice to be able to talk on the phone and take notes and look up phone numbers.

Once again, I want to give you my opinion and say that you should get the Treo, I can still take notes and look up contacts as long as I put the caller on speakerphone. Hope this helps.
    Speakerphone, wired headset, Bluetooth headset (my option of choice)...

I will say that I'd like a little more functionality while in other apps, maybe through some level of multitasking. For instance, if I'm checking voice mail and the caller leaves a phone number (or other info) and I'm taking notes, it's a pain to switch back to the phone screen, replay the message if need be, then switch back again to get the rest of the notes down, and switch back to the phone again to delete the message.

Also, if I pause for too long, I get taken back to the phone screen whether I want it or not. I haven't seen anything in any of the prefs to adjust this; is there an app/utility/hack out there to do it?
    hmm there is also the issue of multimedia. You may want the larger screen of the TX to watch videos or use as a GPS in the car. Also although you can buy an adapter for the headphones for the treo, you can hook up stereo headphones to the TX and listen to tunes without having to carry around an ipod (if you get a 1 or 2 gig memory card). For me the treo has one major feature that made my life very easy, the qwerty keyboard. This is really great for sms, email, and entering data. I always found grafitti torturous, but that is just me. Currently I am using a dedicated cell phone and still using my treo for palm stuff. I do not carry my palm everyday, and I am not a heavy power user. I found that I use my treo to do the following: keep track of appointments, text message, and use as a phone. I would use wireless web and check email, but it was really a luxury not a necessity. I miss my treo keyboard for sms, but I do love my cell phone. It has voice dialing that works with the bluetooth headset, and it works great as a phone and people can actually hear me! As a phone I think the treo is just ok, you really are giving up some call quality for more functionality. I know others are gonna flame me on this, but hey it is how i feel. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    It will depend on a few things.

Third, do you need wi-fi? If so, you'll need the TX. If you don't mind Cingular's high data rates and use a lot of data, Treo. But keep in mind, Cingular has now cracked down on people using the cheaper media plans and now you must use the PDA plan. Although I've heard of people cheating and using media plans they put on another phone in the Treo, by switching SIMS. It's just that if they find out, I've heard of $1000 data bills! That will be up to you and your ethics and risk taking. It might be best to just buy the plan to avoid hassles. There's also quicker battery drain with wi-fi, although the convenience is great IMO!
    Just keep in mind that Cingular isn't the only carrier out there. Others may (and often do) have better data plan pricing than Cingular. They're not the only game in town...
    He said he has a Cingular Motorola phone, so I assume he has Cingular.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!