Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I was reading threads where people have been complaining about the lack of integrated WiFi in the Treos. Why is this such an important feature for some?

Back in the day I thought WiFi for a PDA would be cool so I bought a Compact Flash wireless card for my Dell Axim. It worked fine (for the two hours the battery would last with the WiFi on, that is) but what a waste of $50. Like mostly everyone, the only places I have consistent Wifi access is at home and at the office, both places where I have a desktop and laptop with broadband access never more than 20 ft from my person. I never ending up using it even though I wanted to justify my $50 and spent some time networking it to the workgroup. It just wasn't useful.

The only scenarios I can imagine would be interior rooms in buildings where cell reception sucks.

The slower $15/mos data plan with Sprint 650 has proven far, far, more useful. This works everywhere and is great to have.
    I went to a locally owned coffee shop the other day and saw a router chattering away in the corner. I wished I could use the high speed access instead of waiting for my Sprint data to download my email.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I can see what people want wifi, I have had it on a PDA or two and it is nice, when you have wifi close by you can use the hi speed access for downloading email and surfing the web. On the other hand, it does nothing for me anymore, I only have 1xRTT and it does just fine, I don't need the faster speed for what I do. I think it would be nice to have an option like wifi or more storage space or something like that you know? Oh well what are you gonna do
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "I went to a locally owned coffee shop the other day and saw a router chattering away in the corner. I wished I could use the high speed access instead of waiting for my Sprint data to download my email."

Yeah, the coffee shop scenario is first example everyone brings up and that I used to also, but in reality I found there is more of a coolness factor to this than any real usefulness. The 150kb on the sprint plan works just fine for email and pda friendly web pages, and you have more patience than 99% of people if you really do a lot of serious surfing on a 2"x2" screen. Most of us go to a coffeeshop to relax and read, not get aggravated by Blazer while the battery drains to zero. And let's face it, most places don't offer free Wifi access, and even if they do, you have to go through some stupid registration process usually.

Any other scenarios, people? I know the Palm folks read this forum, and an extra 256 MB would be lots more useful than Wifi. Hardware development is all about trade-offs, after all, and Palm should do some serious market research on the real the need or want for integrated WiFi. Except for the memory issue, I think the Palm hardware engineers have done a really good job of balancing size, performance and features.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I think the statement about Palm doing some market research is a great statement! As well as Palm doing a good job at balancing size, performance and features. I personally think that building a converged device would be very difficult cause there are so many different type of users. Look at just the regular Palm, there are several different types, the basic Zires that are just a Palm that does simple stuff, the Lifedrive with the larger harddrive that is for music and movies and such and then the TX which is kind of like the Caddy of Palm devices, it has lots of memory and wifi and an amazing screen. I really think Palm needs to do, and it seems to be coming, this with the Treo line, make a Treo Lifedrive, and a basic Treo and then of course a Treo TX for people who want the best and most powerful swiss army knife of phones! Why not, I think this makes a lot of sense. What does everyone else thing?
    I've been wondering about that same question -- I'd love to try the Enfora sled just to see what it's like, but question how much real use it would get. I guess my main use for wifi would be along the laptop replacement track for the Treo -- for example, when traveling light. People at school/work campuses who don't carry a laptop around with them all the time would find it useful.

The one time I've really wished I had wifi was when traveling internationally. I was staying at a hotel that had free wifi; at the same time, even if I wanted to pay the atrocious roaming charges, not even GPRS was available. Something came up and I HAD to send/receive e-mail -- ended up having to borrow my cousin's Axim.

I guess something like Skype might be a winner for some (but it doesn't work on Palm). Heavy multimedia streaming might be another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_treo
    Any other scenarios, people?
    I guess it depends on the area that you live or travel. For me, Sprint service is fine. But there are many areas where you can not get data service because you are roaming. Check out the Sprint Map. You just can't get data everywhere. I have been in areas in Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and Maine where I wanted to check email and it was not possible. However, I would have been able to do so if I had WiFi. Having said that, I don't go there for business. So it is not a "must have" for me. But I am sure it would be for others. I would rather have more RAM or a GPS. Just my 0.02 cents.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "I guess it depends on the area that you live or travel. For me, Sprint service is fine. "

Good point. If you're coverage or data plan isn't so good, then I can see how it could be nice. My Sprint coverage is great and the $15/mos unlimited data plan was the only reason I switched to Sprint in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I went to a locally owned coffee shop the other day and saw a router chattering away in the corner. I wished I could use the high speed access instead of waiting for my Sprint data to download my email.
    wont be an issue when/if everyone has ulimited data plan and edge/evdo.

I trully feel, if you have a signal, then who cares about wi-fi. but if you dont have a signal...

for example.

I work in a building where the signal doesnt reach all areas. it would be good/great if I could then switch to wifi to make a call or data connection.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_treo
    Any other scenarios, people? I know the Palm folks read this forum, and an extra 256 MB would be lots more useful than Wifi. Hardware development is all about trade-offs, after all, and Palm should do some serious market research on the real the need or want for integrated WiFi. Except for the memory issue, I think the Palm hardware engineers have done a really good job of balancing size, performance and features.
    How about this one: I have wifi in my apartment. Sometimes I'm lazy and check my email and surf the web in bed (or while watching TV).
    Edge in SFO is great (while I'm at work), but when at home in Napa, where I get a whopping 10-30k, it would be nice to have the wifi speeds while I'm on the couch or wherever with the Treo that I keep in my pocket, instead of having to get up to go to the laptop/desktop to do anything "serious"...
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I think right now, maybe having wifi and and edge or 1xRTT might be an advantage but with the onset of hispeed data like what Cingy rolled out and EVDO from VZW and Sprint/Nextel actually roll out, where they will be close to broadband speeds I don't think wifi will be as big. Wow, that statement got away from me, sorry. Anyway those hi speed data networks will make things like PDA phones and Treo's even more usable than they are now and increase their usability for web activites
    There are many scenarios within large campuses where the cellular service will not reach. For example an office building or a university campus. WIFI fills those gaps. A personal Info Management tool must be universally available. Paper and pen is available always (except under water, I suppose) - the treo has to be like paper and pen.

That said, I must recall one of aspect of the original Palm Pilot that I liked the most was the battery longevity. The original Palm Pilot could go a long time without paying attention to the batteries. If palmone adds too many power sucking baubles to the treo, it loses a great deal of appeal, In my opinion.
    From other threads I've read, data plan rates outside the US are cost-prohibitive when compared to WiFi hotspots (can't remember if more are free outside the US or just cheaper)...so if you own a Treo outside the US, sounds like integrated (or with support for SD card Wifi) Wifi is real important.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    it is cause I live in canada and our data plan prices rea crazy over here. I mean $25 for 4 mb. come one that's crazy. Where in the states you guys can get unlimited for $15. If I lived in the states I would not care for wi fi on my phone. But over here it is almost a must cause our rate plans are so high.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "it is cause I live in canada and our data plan prices rea crazy over here. I mean $25 for 4 mb. come one that's crazy. Where in the states you guys can get unlimited for $15 ... But over here it is almost a must cause our rate plans are so high."

I can see your point somewhat. I guess your usage must have differed from mine quite a bit when I was trying to using my wifi enabled Dell Axim. Even though usage was unlimited once I hooked up to wifi, I rarely used it simply becuase A) the battery drain was horrible b) the only places I had reliable WiFi access was either home or office, and both places it was just easier to walk over to my laptop or desktop.

Seems like we have a consensus that WiFi is largely a waste on a PDA with a decent data plan. Data plans are only going to be getting faster and cheaper so I hopefully Palm and other will focus on more important stuff, like memory, bus and CPU performance, and high res screens.
    I kind of don't get it either....I have an unlimited dataplan with Cingular and can get to almost any website with no problem. Wifi would not be a deal breaker for me with a phone as long as I have Internet access like I do with my phone now I am fine.
    It's by no means a dealbreaker for me, but as I said in an earlier post, while I'm at work in SFO, using the Edge speeds on my phone is fine, but it would be nice to be able to use wifi while at home in Napa where my gprs speeds are pathetic.
    The main issue for me right now is the high data plan costs for verizon and we don't want to change carriers on our family plan. Wifi is a nice interim option until costs come down. Once costs come down, mobility of Treo wins out over wifi for me. I'm writing this from a TX in a coffee shop. Battery life is very good for surfing.
    Wifi would be a great thing. I am not saying it even needs to be built in. A fully functioning wifi card would suffice.

Because of data costs, I dread taking the Treo to Australia. A wifi card would be invaluable.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast