Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    From other threads I've read, data plan rates outside the US are cost-prohibitive when compared to WiFi hotspots (can't remember if more are free outside the US or just cheaper)...so if you own a Treo outside the US, sounds like integrated (or with support for SD card Wifi) Wifi is real important.
    Thank you! Wi-fi is a necessity if you travel! Many here must not travel out of the larger US urban areas(where data plans work best), so their data plans are OK with them. But not for many others!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    So for those that think it's great, what wifi network do you use? Your work or home wifi network? Isn't it just far easier to use your desktop/laptop in these places?

If you're accessing it from other places than home or office, you've got to be either 1) paying a fortune in montly fees for each airport Wifi network or T-mobile hotspots ($29.99/mos!!), or 2) hoping you get lucky and nick bandwith from random unsecured networks. Am I right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim_treo
    So for those that think it's great, what wifi network do you use? Your work or home wifi network? Isn't it just far easier to use your desktop/laptop in these places?

If you're accessing it from other places than home or office, you've got to be either 1) paying a fortune in montly fees for each airport Wifi network or T-mobile hotspots ($29.99/mos!!), or 2) hoping you get lucky and nick bandwith from random unsecured networks. Am I right?
    Some of the airports that I visit have free WIFI. Same with cafes and restaurants.

As said above, if you do not travel then your wouldn't see the value in wifi. And Tim_treo you maybe one of those people.

But for us travelers, especially international, wifi would be worth its weight in gold. An example for me is Australia. The telcos there charge a fortune for GPRS. The cheapest, I believe, is Vodafone which charges $80.00 for 500mb

Bumming wifi bandwidth or even spending $30/month for wifi access is by far the better solution.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I travel a lot within the US. I still don't see the value of it for US-centric customers then. With my previous wifi PDA, it was too much of a hassle, and that's why I got the Treo.
    I'm only a part time user, daily fees are no big deal to me. And there are still free places around here(no, not someone else's network). I've already said in other posts, that for heavy data users, data plans are probably better. As for paying huge monthly fees, LOL! Cingular and Verizon are the ones who do that!

The other posters who said they don't want to get up just to check email, wi-fi is matter of convenience for them obviously. I would like to do that too because sometimes it IS a pain to fire up the laptop just to get email.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

Check out this web site. It is getting better.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    The world also doesn't revolve around the US, although we Americans seem to think it does.
    If Palm wants to sell the Treo in Europe, they'd better include wi-fi!!

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "If Palm wants to sell the Treo in Europe, they'd better include wi-fi!!"

Maybe. Wifi coverage is too spotty to be generally useful, even in densely packed cities.

For instance, I clicked the link Cash posted, and saw ther are 5 free wifi spots in Cambridge, MA. That's a little underwhelming, and we are talking Cambridge MA here. Friends in Munich Germany tell me it's better but still not to the point where it useful and can be depended on like a BlackBerry can be for working professionals. If you're not in to tapping people's networks, I just don't see it. Sorry.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    And by way, are they really big on WiFi access in cafes and such in Europe? All of my European friends make fun of Americans who haul laptops to coffeeshops. They say it's just not done in Europe, and I certainly didn't see any of it the last couple of times I was in Europe.
    Maybe someone can clarify this for me (I thought I read somethere) that if you are using wifi, you can get calls to come straight through without going to VM (which happens to me all the time with my sprint service).

If that is the case (maybe it works that way only on the PPC's) but it would be another plus to using wifi if you have the option between that and your data plan.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Gee, Chicago has plenty of spots(free and paid). I have 6 in my neighborhood and supposedly there are more I didn't even know about!

I have to ask if anyone knows what the data rates are in the UK. I would rather use wi-fi if they are as high as $80 like the other poster said! Plus I'd be using pre-paid SIM, so I wonder what they get for pre-paid data usage! Or do they even offer it for pre-paid?

I get unhappy about paying double my calling plan just to get data. If I signed up under Cingular, I'd have to pay $100+ a month for calls and data. I guess if I were out all day long, it might be worth it. But I'm tied to my laptop so much, I don't really know if it's worth it.

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "Gee, Chicago has plenty of spots(free and paid). I have 6 in my neighborhood and supposedly there are more I didn't even know about!"

Yeah, I've got plenty of 'free' ones in my neighboorhood too. Are yours officially free though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Gee, Chicago has plenty of spots(free and paid). I have 6 in my neighborhood and supposedly there are more I didn't even know about!

I have to ask if anyone knows what the data rates are in the UK. I would rather use wi-fi if they are as high as $80 like the other poster said! Plus I'd be using pre-paid SIM, so I wonder what they get for pre-paid data usage! Or do they even offer it for pre-paid?

I get unhappy about paying double my calling plan just to get data. If I signed up under Cingular, I'd have to pay $100+ a month for calls and data. I guess if I were out all day long, it might be worth it. But I'm tied to my laptop so much, I don't really know if it's worth it.
    Hey, stop bashing Cingular. I get unlimited Media Works for $19.99
    "Gee, Chicago has plenty of spots(free and paid). I have 6 in my neighborhood and supposedly there are more I didn't even know about!"

Yeah, I've got plenty of 'free' ones in my neighboorhood too. Are yours officially free though?
    OK, we get it. You hate wifi
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    "OK, we get it. You hate wifi "

Yeah, I'm sorry. I'm in bad mood today. My desktop crashed yesterday and I've been reinstalling software all day long and I'm bored silly and aggravated between switch disks for the stuff to complete so I though it be fun to start a flame war.

No, wifi is fine for lots of things. I'm just very happy with the Treo and I think it's mainly becuase the connectivity is so much better than my previous PDA. There's been several times I've been traveling throughout the northeast by car in rural areas and it saved me lots of time looking hotel info, accesssing maps, grabbing important emails etc... At stores, I can quickly check Amazon for product reviews or price comparisions. High speed access from anywhere is so much better than local hotspots.
    I didn't mean other people's networks and I also included paid spots in that last post!

Free spots in my neighborhood:
    Days Inn Lincoln Park North
    Panera Bread
    Bobtail Soda Fountain
    Goose Island Wrigleyville
    Heart Boys Cafe

The rest are paid. And there are at least 5 or more of those. No wi-fi shortage here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Hey, stop bashing Cingular. I get unlimited Media Works for $19.99
    Which if they crack down, you can end up with a HUGE bill! Some have gotten unlucky like that. Treos are supposed to use the $45 PDA plan. Do I think it's fair because it's almost the same plan? No!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    .......If only it had wi-fi!
    Maybe it can......anybody try this?

Treo 650 - SD WiFi Drivers Hacked
    I don't know about anyone else, but in southeastern michigan they are making all of oakland county free wifi. They are starting in cerain areas, but within a few years there is going to be free wifi for all, so that would be a big reason to have wifi. And from what I have heard, other counties, are going to follow. You would definitely get your moneys worth in that case.
    I am on Cingular and travel all over the US but most of my travel is international....I have never had a problem with connectivity for my phone or Internet. I just do not get it on the Wifi. I mean what I am goign to access differenlty via Wifi that I cannot already access? For me I do not care if Wifi is in the thing or not as long as I can use my phone and get to the Internet.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast