1.    #1  
    ummm.... Since when does Palm own the rights to the name "TreoCentral"??

Maybe this is why T|C has been very mum about rumors and future Treo's. The Treo 700w didn't make it to the front page until the day before it was released mean while MyTreo.net had it on the front page along with countless other tech websites.

The last time I remember seeing something that was bold and new on the T|C front page was over a year ago when we had pictures of the then new Treo "ACE".

Don't get me wrong, as a community of users T|C is great. But for a place that claims to be "Your #1 resource for the Treo Smartphone", i feel the news on the frontpage is very bland.

Will any of the Moderators of TreoCentral defend these comments? I would love to hear their side of things.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  3.    #4  
    funny... i search for this and couldn't find it....
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    pabo got it right in one of the other threads:

"All of the Palm and Treo related names either belong to Palm, or would, if Palm chose to pursue legal action. Rather than get into that situation, my guess is that TC allowed Palm to take ownership of the name and the doamian, and then licensed it back from them. This is really no different than being a Coca-Cola bottler -you own the plant and assets and so on, but license the right to put Coca-Cola on the bottle (yeah, they license the formula also, but it's pretty close).

If TC refused to take this approach, they stood the risk of developing a flourishing site, and having it shut down when a over-zealous lawyer decides they want control of the name and is willing to take the case to ICANN (they would definitely win based on precedence).

This does not mean the site is run or directed by Palm. As somebody mentioned earlier, sometimes it appears obvious that Palm does NOT monitor this site...."
    In regards to comments regarding lack of hard news on the front-page, that is true.

After getting majorly burned from the ACE article (long story), we decided to not publish major rumors on the frontpage any longer. However, once a product is announced, we usually have the best coverage (who asked Gates and Colligan questions during the Treo 700w annoucement? Hint it wasn't mytreo). And of course anything goes in the forums.
    Would love to hear that long story.

If you go back and look for the most viewed threads on TC, right up there would be the rumour threads. It is one of the most fun parts of a community like this, IMO. Great coverage of active announcements is great, but if you take away the rumour mill, people will seek it elsewhere.
    That is why we fully encourage rumor talks in the forums, and feed them when we can.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    That is why we fully encourage rumor talks in the forums, and feed them when we can.
    In the spirit of that statement, got anything you can "feed" us on the 700p?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Nothing on the 700p. Haven't heard a word, other than the rumours here. Hopefully we will see some news from CES, unless they think it will steal coverage from the 700w. Then CTIA in Vegas in April is a safer bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    Nothing on the 700p. Haven't heard a word, other than the rumours here. Hopefully we will see some news from CES, unless they think it will steal coverage from the 700w. Then CTIA in Vegas in April is a safer bet.
    ...just out of curiosity then, how long in advance did you KNOW the 700w was coming out? Just a rough estimate from the time you had something concrete that you felt meant a Windows Treo was emminent (imminent)?
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...just out of curiosity then, how long in advance .....
    ...I want to see you get out of this one...

My $0.02, TC is by far the best place to get the real stuff - info on How To, reviews of hardware and software, actual announcements, etc. If I want rumors, I can go anywhere (How's the BB Connect coming along).

Besides, rumors come and go once every 3 or 4 months, I use my Treo every day...
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    ...I want to see you get out of this one...

My $0.02, TC is by far the best place to get the real stuff - info on How To, reviews of hardware and software, actual announcements, etc. If I want rumors, I can go anywhere (How's the BB Connect coming along).

Besides, rumors come and go once every 3 or 4 months, I use my Treo every day...
    ...but it never hurts to ask.
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    never ??
    I'm guessing you won't get a response to that question.....they are probably under NDA's which would prevent them from saying after the fact as well?
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...but it never hurts to ask.
    Suffice it to say, they knew longer than you did.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    We all knew it was coming, but about 2 weeks before the Gates conference it started to turn solid.
    I think Palm did the announcement because of the first solid leak with pictures and video came out about the 700w.