1.    #1  
    So, i keep hearing how everyone thinks that Linux will soon replace Palm. Why would this bee a good replacement? Why will be the pros and cons of the Linux setup?
    Sorry if this has already been covered.
    Holla @ya BOI
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Part of it is that PalmSource/Access is working on a new version of Palm OS (or whatever they'll have to name it now, with Palm Inc. buying back the Palm name) that is based on Linux. Linux at the core, familiar Palm OS interface. Supposed to have compatibility with both--Palm OS through emulation, not sure on Linux.

Other Linux-based mobile devices (the Sharp Zaurus, the Motorola A780) don't have as widely-used (or for many, as easy-to-use) interfaces or the same number of applications as Palm OS. I don't see them taking off to that degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    So, i keep hearing how everyone thinks that Linux will soon replace Palm. Why would this bee a good replacement? Why will be the pros and cons of the Linux setup?
    Sorry if this has already been covered.
    Holla @ya BOI
    I mean DAMN!!! Posts like this are the REASON I wanna puke sometimes! Freakin' search!
    Honest to God ...grumble ...grrrrr... *stalks off muttering about the end of the world*
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    I mean DAMN!!! Posts like this are the REASON I wanna puke sometimes! Freakin' search!
    Honest to God ...grumble ...grrrrr... *stalks off muttering about the end of the world*
    Seriously.... what's Linux?
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

Debatable whether it is a good thing or a bad thing. I think if Palm and Palmsource/Access make some smart moves and produce a kick **** OS, this could help both Palm and Linux.
    Seriously, the biggest benefit is drivers! Almost all hardware makers have reference implementations on Linux for their hardware. That means support for a new radio, memory card, display, etc. would be a no brainer. Also, tapping into a pool of X thousand (million) developers would be a not so subtle plus too.

From a marketing perspective, its another choice that isn't Microsoft.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trowa
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

Debatable whether it is a good thing or a bad thing. I think if Palm and Palmsource/Access make some smart moves and produce a kick **** OS, this could help both Palm and Linux.
    I think what Dr Doom was referring to was this:

rm -rf
    All,
    given that Palmsource will be able to give to us a good sw for our smartphones, what about all the apps we bought and that we are in love for? Developers has always been a clear advantage compared to WM, Symbian and Linux as well.

What about the wonderfull UI that we all know very well?

Wouldn't be better an improved Palm OS, ready for 3G and multitasking?

What do you think?
    Ciao.
    Vittore
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HS Treo 180 -> HS Treo 270 -> Palm Treo 650 GSM (1.71-1.20ENA Custom) + Treo BT Headset + TomTom 5.201 & Holux GPS 236 BT Slim
    Think of Palm OS like the Mac OS. Apple layered the UI over a Linux kernel. They didn't try to make the Mac OS something it wasn't. In the case of Palm it is almost a no-brainer. App developers (hopefully) will still be able to code to a familiar UI api and the driver developers will be able to code a familiar kernel. Win-win. The ultimate winners would be Palm (lower costs) and the end user (more stuff faster).
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    GAAAH!!! I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!

Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    GAAAH!!! I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!

LOL... funny how a little sarcasm in text can prolong a conversation indefinitely. rm -rf LOL...
    <RANT>

Linux does no one any good if manufacturers won't release the source!!! Case in point: the iRiver PMP series. They used some proprietary GUI so they could keep the source. Well what the hell was the point of that. The only thing the device had going for it was that people could easily customize it to do what they wanted, I mean Linux sure as hell can't play video lag free.

</RANT>

Normal people resume reading here:

Well. the most obvious answer for this is clearly that the company that creates the kernel for a mobile platform wants to reach a wider demographic than what they had before. By bundling their crap into Treo devices, they can get their name out in more than one market. It's pure business strategy, I'm sure they've spent a lot of time trying to make their Mail client spiffier than Palm's and whatnot so their name gets larger and more associated with a positive connotation. Another way to think of it is like this. It's not called Scotch tape, it's cello tape (did I spell that right) but since Scotch makes so much of it, people call it Scotch tape. A Treo or Tungsten or even a Dell Axim are not Palm Pilots, yet everywhere I go people say Palm Pilots, they are PDAs. but Palm has gotten so big that people just call them Palm Pilots. Access feels that they can become an industry standard as well.

Ranty kind of people can read this part to:

Well they are going to ruin themselves with the tech people if they don't release the code. They're going to be in an even worse position if no one can write applications for it. We all saw Symbian OS, it's horrible, the only applications available are distributed by Nokia. Well that's just BS isn't it? Access is just going to give Linux a bad name. Just like iRiver did with their PMP!

EDIT (Don't worry, normal people and Dr. Doom can read this one ):
    Am I missing something? Isn't rm -rf used to delete a folder?