1.    #1  
    i just can't figure this out...i just got my treo a few days ago and i'm still trying to learn how to use it.
    You need a 3rd party address book. Check out TakePhone.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Where is says ' Last name" enter the "first name"..Where it says "first name" enter " last name
  4.    #4  
    where do i do this?...directly on the treo or on the palm desktop?
    Quote Originally Posted by kato10
    where do i do this?...directly on the treo or on the palm desktop?
    He is refering to each and every contact.
  6.    #6  
    dang!...there's gotta be a better way
    Takephone
  8.    #8  
    ok...just got takphone...sorry, but how do you do it in takephone...it still alphabetizes in last names...the display is shown with the first name first but it's sorted by last name. sorry for the dumb questions
    I griped about this also but seeing how if you enter a letter being the contacts first name or last it brings you to that letter. EX. Contact name is JOHN DOE you can enter letter J or D and JOHN DOE will come up.
    Quote Originally Posted by kato10
    ok...just got takphone...sorry, but how do you do it in takephone...it still alphabetizes in last names...the display is shown with the first name first but it's sorted by last name. sorry for the dumb questions
    I meant to say... Takephone?

Takephone might not do it, point is you need a third party address app to do it.
    I was a little irritated with the sorting when I first got mine, which was a little over a month ago.

I still use the default address book and just type in a few letters to narrow down the list (as suggested earlier). If you are trying to find Jason, just enter the address book and hit the j button. You can type several letters if you have several similarly spelled names. I usually leave my category set to all and just search this way.
    AddressXT isn't bad either
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Hi,

TAKEphONE does not SORT by first name.
    What it does is allow you to SEARCH by first name first.

The results in TAKEphONE are displayed with the field where the match was found first.

Thanks.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    TakePhone allows you to search by firstname? You can do that anyway!
    Try Contacts5

It's expensive for just handling contacts, but if you really want to sort by first name, it works.

There is another cheaper program, I just don't remember what it is right now.
    Tealphone allows you to sort by first name or last name or company name. It is a great application.

Kelly
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeReaction
    Try Contacts5

It's expensive for just handling contacts, but if you really want to sort by first name, it works.

There is another cheaper program, I just don't remember what it is right now.
    Contacts5's 5-way support is pretty bad unfortunately, but it looks real pretty..AddressXT allows sort by:

Last, First
    First, Last
    Company, Last
    Company, First
    Company, Title
    Last, Title

http://www.handydev.com/en/products/addressxt.php
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Contacts5's 5-way support is pretty bad unfortunately
    You're right, the 5-way navigation is terrible with Contacts5 on the Treo. I had it when I used my Clie' TJ37 and it didn't matter, because that Clie' had the worst navigation setup anyway. I gave it up when I moved to the Treo, since you could just type in a few letters and have the names pop up.

AddressXT is a nice looking program with excellent 5-way support for someone who wants to sort by first name.