Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess
    *putting hands over ears (& eyes)* LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!
    my 600 will be fine until the 700p is released
    my 600 will be fine...
    ...whatever gets you through the night sweetie.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc
    I'm anxiously waiting for the 700p. I was happy enough with my T600, and sufficiently unimpressed with the upgrades on the T650, that I decided to skip a generation. I never thought I'd have to wait till April or May for a new POS model.
    Yeah I hear you DOG; I never dreamed that skipping a generation would be so infuriating. I was a sucker who was hooked wanting a Treo 600 since the first pic was published on Treo Central back in the day...then had to wait forever to get mine. (had to get someone to buy it in the US and ship it to me in Toronto). I had it replaced 4 times due to a multitude of build problems. My current unit has been stable for a long time now. I drool over the screen and the keyboard of my friends 650, but he's already had to send that back 3 times. (so much for continuous improvement

I was thinking about going to 700w because exchange email is my biggest need, but thanks to Marc's ChatterOWA (beta), I think I may be able to hold out for another year or three until the 700p ships!!!
    Well, my Treo 300 is hanging on by a thread. The battery now dies after 1 phone call. It is REALLY time to upgrade, but I am holding out to see what the 700 is all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon
    Well, my Treo 300 is hanging on by a thread. The battery now dies after 1 phone call. It is REALLY time to upgrade, but I am holding out to see what the 700 is all about.
    After 1 phone call... ...I don't know how you do it.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I forgot I even used a Treo 300 until you mentioned still using yours.

That is so 2002.

Do you start fire by rubbing two sticks together?

Just kidding you.

Actually, I really miss the Treo 300's flip lid. I wish there was an aftermarket, lexan-type flip-lid that could be added to the Treo 600/650/700 style and not be incorporated into a carrying case. This is so I could keep it in my pocket and protect the screen at the same time. I saw a case like this for other Palm products, but it was not made for the Treo 660/650 yet.

Good luck with your Treo 300 holding out until the next Treo is released.

Russell
    I kinda like the flip, and I do like the roomier keyboard of my 300. I also dig its totally state-of-the-art 5.25" floppy drive and 2400 baud modem.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I got my 600 early (Oct 03) and cheap (with the Handspring upgrade offer), and the original is still going. It gets flakey from time to time -- there was the period when it didn't feel like making outgoing calls(it would dial and then forget to connect), and another period when it wouldn't answer incoming calls (kind of annoying-- the phone would ring enthusiastically and I'd push every damn button on the Treo, but nothing worked.) But it's never been repaired because those problems somehow fixed themselves.

Yeah, the screen sucks compared to the 650, and I don't know for sure what curve it will throw next, because it seems to have a mind of its own. But the email has been rock solid, the PDA stuff always works, and I hate to keep throwing more gear on the pile of abandoned electronics, so I'll hold on as long as possible for the next generation.
    Oct 2003 S PCS T600 owner with Handspring upgrade and Sprint $150 upgrate rebate... I think it netted to about $250 which wasn't too shabby for a launch date order.

I, too, didn't see much benefit over the 600 (for me anyway). Better video / movie watching resolution and bluetooth were good, but not critical to my use of the device. And with all the memory and bluetooth troubles people wrote about after 650 launch, I dropped any limited interest I had in upgrading last winter / spring in hopes of leapfrogging a generation...

I've had more problems with my 600 than most others on this particular thread. I'm now on device #5 or #6 (I think) -- I lost 4 over the past 2+ years to the Network Search / Battery Drain issue, 1 to the broken handset speaker (taking every call by earpiece or speakerphone for nearly 2 weeks was fun!), and my last one about 3 months ago to my finger breaking the screen when I was putting it into my bag for airport screening (Not any rougher treatment than the previous two years, it must have been an overly fragile component on that machine)!! Anyway, Sprint was always willing to replace it (a few times with new instead of refurb) or fix it (the screen on the last time), but alas there are no more 600s out there anywhere (except ebay I guess) so I'm really praying the network search bug doesn't resurface again. I'm at about the 1 year point on the current device, so I think I'm out of the danger zone ...and I'm keeping my nails clipped short so I don't smash the dinky 160x160 screen.

Even with all this trouble, I wouldn't have ever considered another device, nothing compares to the flexibility or breadth of what it could do. When I bought it, I replaced 3 devices with one. Plus I added the ability to watch videos with MMPlayer -- now replaced by tcpmp which I find to work better. Once chattermail begins to handle Outlook webmail, I'll drop my (mandatory) blackberry too. If only the Treo could play PSP games, I'd lighten the load even more!!! (just kidding of course-- definitely need the larger screen for games)

BUT, It IS time for a new device, and hopefully one to which I can port at least most of my paid entertainment and productivity software (Pocettunes Deluxe, ProfileCare, Brightcam, Botzam Backup, Vindigo, Directory Assistant, Datebook 5 (6!!), & recently chatter $$ shortly to Marc).

So Sprint, please debut the 700p ASAP, before my trusty friend rides off into another Network Search sunset requiring constant power to make & take calls...

Happy holidays to all--

JG
    Last edited by greenawayj; 12/19/2005 at 09:41 AM.
    Same boat as a few others here. I was one of the people who bought my 600 in Oct 03 using the Handspring upgrade offer. I'm on device #3 now (Devices #1 and #2 had the network search/battery drain problem, and were replaced free of charge by Sprint). It was a tremendous hassle to deal with that, but I wouldn't trade this device for anything in the world right now...except an upgrade.

I held off on the 650 because of the memory issues, and because a better screen wasn't enough justification for an upgrade. Now, I'm planning a direct upgrade to the 700p as soon as I can get my hands on it, but my 600 isn't cooperating. My battery life sucks (about 1/2 a day with my 'normal' use), and my touchscreen is dying (only 1/2 of it works). I can still use most of the functionality using the 5-way button and the keyboard, and between my car or work charger I can keep powered enough to last the day.

It's getting to be a bit much though, and I've thought about getting either another 600 or a 650 to use until I can upgrade. Bottom line is, I need the 700p to come out SOON before my 600 #3 totally kicks the bucket.
    Deacon
    Computer Programmer/Law Student
    T700p <-- 600
    Hmm posting this made me think a little. I planned to get a replacement battery until my screen started dying a few days ago.

Instead of getting a replacement battery AND a screen, I think I'll spend a little more ($120-$150) and grab another 600 off ebay. I'd get a 650, but they still seem cost a bit too much to only be a temporary (1 yr at the most) phone.
    Deacon
    T700p <-- 600
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    And I thought I was the only one... although it's been a few years since I was a law student and a programming student in the same semester... I can't even remember what phone I had back then. I think it was a Startac 7600! Ooooh... how cool... a FLIP phone!
    I couldnt wait any longer...you guys have lots of willpower :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I am in the same boat as most of you - i got my Treo 600 in January, 2004, and have not had ANY problems since then! Of course, I treat it with kid gloves, and from what I can tell from all the complaints in the T650 forum, it connects FAST and reliably. I too wish the 700p would come out sooner rather than later. However, if it doesn't have LOTS more memory, I will be severly disappointed. For now, the 600 is doing just fine, but I'd love a faster processor, better screen, and lots more memory. For now, I'm waiting....

Andrew
    Good luck Andrew...my 600 couldnt make it another day and was way beyond the warranty replacement date. Prior to that, it ran very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrGuard
    We all know that the first one to give in an buy a 650 or 6700 will usher in the instantaneous release of the 700p; cause that's just how these things work.
    So true, so ironic.

I, too, am holding out. My Treo 600 is working flawlessly, although I think the battery is a little less effective than it was. I can easily get another year or even two out of it if nothing happens though. I top off a lot.

I'm ready to upgrade, though. I never thought the 650 was worth the effort. I am eager for wi-fi, more memory and the like, though.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I am waiting like everyone else. I am on my 3rd phone (both from the battery fatigue/dropped calls issue). I have been using PALM OS devices since the Palm III, and the software investment I've made makes me hesitant to switch to a newOS. As far as the 650, it just didn't improve enough to be worth the investment. I use the device for alot of emails, on the do document editing, scheduling and contacts and I can't take a hit on the amount of usable memory available. I hope the T700p is a true upgrade and that the developers take those of use upgrading in account for a smooth upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtoatley
    I am waiting like everyone else. I am on my 3rd phone (both from the battery fatigue/dropped calls issue). I have been using PALM OS devices since the Palm III, and the software investment I've made makes me hesitant to switch to a newOS. .... I hope the T700p is a true upgrade and that the developers take those of use upgrading in account for a smooth upgrade.
    Right on. A key here is the ease of upgrading and prior software investment. If everything about the 700p, if there ever is one, means completely new parameters for everything, I may as WELL go to Windows.

In the past Palm has been arrogantly dismissive of upgraders. Upgrading has often meant the need to get new software upgrades. I could tolerate a few things like Jot. But it has also meant that all accessories become obsolete as they change even the jacks.

I.e., I'm not confident that when it arrives, if ever, the 700p will save much money in upgrading apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires
    Right on. A key here is the ease of upgrading and prior software investment. If everything about the 700p, if there ever is one, means completely new parameters for everything, I may as WELL go to Windows.

In the past Palm has been arrogantly dismissive of upgraders. Upgrading has often meant the need to get new software upgrades. I could tolerate a few things like Jot. But it has also meant that all accessories become obsolete as they change even the jacks.

I.e., I'm not confident that when it arrives, if ever, the 700p will save much money in upgrading apps.
    I can't agree with you more, although I believe the wall charger for the Treo 300 fit the 600. Big deal. So 1 accessory out of all those others.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Yeah, and I have to say if the answer is that everything is obsolete anyway, I'm serious about going to Windows. Because the Palm OS seems to be at the end of the line. Maybe so, maybe not. Maybe a 700, maybe not---but one thing is for sure, Windows will be around. So if the upgrade pain is the same and everything is totally new....maybe safer is to go to Windows. The sole remaining advantage of Palm, compatibility, would seem to be missing, assuming that's what happens.
    I'm getting kinda bored and having a w model would certainly make it interesting. I guess if I didn't like it I could hand it down to my wife, or sons. My wife has a BB for work (inferior to the Treo IMHO) and a basic Samsung for personal use. I'm sure she'd love it. Not sure yet what I'm gonna do. Probably stick with Sprint and the 700p.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast